Scale Addiction

Options
Hi, I'm DaFrog and I am an addict...LoL of my scale. I know that it is recommend that one should weigh yourself more than once a week. Not me, I am one of those who hop on it daily; sometimes multiple times during a day. I tell myself that I am making sure that I am staying on track. Guessing that like with any addiction you tell yourself what you want to hear to justify the behavior. I really don't cheat that often. Although in the past I have let stress really affect my eating habits. Today is Friday, and my plan is to weigh myself when I go to the gym and stay away from the scale until next Friday. Whew, not sure if I can do it. I am for sure going to have to have someone else hide the home scale from me. I have put it away myself and always end up dragging it back out. I am sure I am not the only scale addict out there; my challenge to the rest of you is to weigh today and try to not weigh again until next Friday. I am hoping that seeing a larger amount gone at once will excite me more, instead of .2. Best of luck to everyone.

Replies

• reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    you can do it!
  • trish1215
    Options
    hey girl..I am the same way. I always used to do low carb diets which i could see fall off of me every day but now it's taking longer for anything to come off..which is okay with me because i feel better..i still can't get myself from going on the scale every morning. I told myself that i would just start weighing every monday but I will accept your challenge and not weight in again until next friday! What can it hurt, right?! Good luck girl! Let me know how you do!!

Trish:happy:
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I weigh myself morning and night. I find it keeps me motivated (no matter whether it's a loss or a gain).

Good luck!!
  • countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I too am an addict! I have my scales in the kitchen, and weigh before I stick ANYTHING in my mouth. My husband hid them last week, and I tore the house apart til I found them (in his truck, go figure). I weigh when I wake up, as soon as I walk in the door, before I eat supper, after I eat supper, after exercising, after my shower, and right before I go to sleep...then I get up and do it again the next morning....It's really starting to get annoying but I just can't stop!
  • strongerthanb4
    Options
    My name is Melissa and I am a scale addict!
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is set a day during the week that you weigh yourself and stick to that day. if it means taking the batteries out of the scale, or getting rid of the scale all together and only weigh at the gym, thats what you gotta do. Weighing yourself daily multiple times is not going to do anything positive for you. Weight fluctuates A LOT during the day as much as 2-5 lbs even.

I weigh myself every monday morning before I eat breakfast, I look forward to this day each and every week. If I lose, fantastic, if I gain, thats when you go back check your journal, find out what contributed to that gain and adjust for the coming week and correct it. New day, new week.

The LAST thing you want to do is obsess about weighing yourself, that could be detrimental to your weight loss, and can also lead to unhealthy fasting, eating to little then starving yourself and any number of other things.

Pick a day and STICK TO IT...
    Thats my 2 cents!

WR
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    I think once a day is perfectly fine. I weigh myself in the morning after my cardio (best time!)
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    oh I am an addict too..
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My official weigh in day is Monday morning first thing when I get up...but I do find myself getting on the scale during the week as well. Now I didnt weigh this morning and not sure if I will again till Monday but once a day is plenty if you do it more...cause like someone said...your weight can go up as much as 5 lbs just from eating and drinking....happy losing everyone!
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    I guess I'm a scale addict too. I weigh every morning under the same conditions: no food or water in me, having used the bathroom, nothing on.

Any other time just reflects that I've eaten or had some of those vast amounts of water, and have clothes on.

That's just me. I know I should weigh weekly, but I'm afraid, at least now, I can't do it. More power to you all!
  • vette49
    vette49 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I put it away and tell myself leave it alone for a week, the most I can go is two days then I have to weigh myself. Trying to break this habit and wait until next weigh in.
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have tried both ways and although the "expert opinion" on this site is to weigh once per week I find it works best for me to weigh every morning no food or water wearing my birthday suit. I find that if I weigh once per week I loose my motivation on a daily basis which is something that I like. Just my thoughts on the matter, to each their own.
  • Pandemonium
    Options
    I wouldn't call it an "addiction" but I weight myself once every day in the mornings. I do this to keep track of my progress but to also remind myself to push myself on my exercising if I don't see a drop in a few days. That way I really get motivated to get my bottom off the couch and do my cardio. I feel terrible that I have not done my cardio in a week due to a back injury, but I have still lost a couple pounds just by eating right.

With me also looking at the scale often, if I am up a few pounds, it just makes me want to get that number back down again. I find it rather encouraging and motivating.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was kind of hoping someone would bring this up. I weigh myself multiple times through the day and night. I don't feel it is harmful to me, although it might make others unhappy.

I am tickled to death that I am finally able to lose some weight and maybe I am micromanaging the scale business, but I am also weighing or measuring just about every bit of food I eat, so it just seems to me that weighing myself is a natural progression.

When I seemed to hit a slight plateau a while back, my gifts to myself were a new, more accurate bathroom scale, a food scale and a tape measure. All of them were good moves as far as I'm concerned.

I also don't log in a weight loss until I have "owned" that weight for at least three days or have gone below.
  • lovinyoutwo
    lovinyoutwo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If I weighed my self everyday, I would go crazy!!! I look forward to monday when I weigh myself, I look at it as a surprise gift that i'm getting! Once a week is plenty.
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm ad addict too. Decided just this morning to not weigh again until Weds- which is the day we weigh at my job for a contest we're running. I'll join you but on Weds's. Good luck!!!
  • truckerchic
    truckerchic Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering scale addict lol in the past I would weigh myself multiple times a day the number would dictate my mood. I was so up and down evening knowing how body weight can vary in a day. I would
    Get depressed angry sad more than happy which not only played on my mind and body but affected my kids and husband. They hie the scale on me I learned how to journal weigh and measure my food better and seeked support from fellow dieters. That was. Many years ago and I finally am positive I have the right tools support aand state of mind to get this done for the last time
  • babygirlrere
    Options
    i am a scale addict to and i am trying hard to break the habit......i usually weigh morning and night but im trying to not weigh till monday....its so ...so...hard........but im trying..........good luck to all of my mfp friends.........who are addicts to..............
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Always had an addiction with the scale, my ex boyfriend and trainer were going to hide it from me and not let me see if for a good few months... but he's now my ex and my trainer want it to go to the ex's house so I got to keep it :P haha.

I am an ex - anorexic, but still have some anorexic tendencies.. like counting food, weighing all the time, just VERY OCD about a lot of different things..

but I agree that the scale will tell me if I'm on track and keep me motivated about pushing forward... :)
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    I weigh on a daily basis and it works for me. When I quit weighing daily, it usually means I am off track and not wanting to see reality. I think it is a very individual thing. The only thing if you weigh daily, you have to be aware that you will have variations that don't seem to make sense. For me, I am OK with that...if the scale number is lower than I think it will be...I am motivated to lose more...if the scale number is higher than I think based on what I have been eating....it also motivates me to stay with the program. I look at the whole week numbers versus the prior week to see if there is a positive trend...meaning a lower number on the scale.