42 Pounds Down - GOALLLLLL! (with pics)

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Such an awesome transformation!!!!! I also barely recognized you in your before picture. You look amazing. And 50 is totally the new 30. Which makes me 11. Am I allowed to work out for wine?

I have never seen anyone ever card a tree...no matter HOW young. :wink: :laugh: And thanks!

ETA: I don't recognize me either, sometimes, LOL...
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job, you look amazing. Good job.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Ooooh....and let me mention that I've aged myself unnecessarily...I've got my 50th birthday as June of 14. It's not till 2015, LOL...So that buys me 12 extra months... :laugh:
  • rustyvicinie
    rustyvicinie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Great job, congrats and bask in the success!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    You are just sooooo awesome!! I loved reading this. You inspire me and I love following your progress.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!!!! You look great and super impressed with the lifting. I just started that too and hoping for some push off this plateau. Great inspiration.
  • ashleyp35
    Options
    Awesome story!! WTG!!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    wow! Congrats! I love your story, you are so inspiring!! :flowerforyou: I just love that don't quit attitude !!
  • brandi_wvu2011
    Options
    Wonderful progress! I too have been losing weight, 50 lbs so far. It's tough but soooo worth it!
  • babywing
    Options
    Great story. You look great! Thank you for sharing.
  • sphomphak
    sphomphak Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    awesome job!! you look great and happy early anniversary :)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I didn’t ever think that I would be posting a topic of my own on the Success Stories area, but here I am.

I joined MFP back in April of 11. I started somewhere in the neighborhood of 175-ish. I managed to get myself down to 163 in June of 11 and stalled. For three months. It pissed me off, so I fell off the wagon and didn’t really care.

In the spring of 2012 I was weighing in just over 180, so picked it up again and stalled at 163. Again. Screw it. Maybe I’m just not meant to get smaller. Maybe the 170’s was where I was supposed to be. I’m 5’7” and figured WTH, maybe I could pull it off.

I took a fall in mid-January of this year and conked myself in the head pretty good and ended up at the doc’s office with a concussion. The hussy made me get on the scale, but didn’t say even one word about the fact that it said I weighed 192. ONE NINETY-TWO? You’re kidding me, right? I have high blood pressure (taking meds for that), hypo-thyroid (taking meds for that), and OMG, I also had fatty liver and THAT doctor told me it wouldn’t hurt me to lose weight.

The following picture was taken in April 2012:

6404325_1867.jpg
    I’m the redhead on the left.

Once I realized that I had a problem, 290 days ago I logged back into MFP. I started counting calories and logging food. I started doing the 30 Day Shred. I hated it, but it seemed to be working…weight was starting to come off and I was starting to feel better. A friend of mine also talked me into doing a 5K mud run later in the spring, so I started jogging, too.

By mid-February I had gotten halfway through the second section of 30DS and I really wasn’t loving it. I’d been reading a lot about lifting heavy, and joined the women’s 5x5 group here and lurked. I put the word out around work that I was looking to score a cheap bar, some plates, and a rack. My boss at the time had a ten pound studio bar and a few plates and she just gifted them to me. I found a reasonably priced bench and rack at D!ck’s Sporting Goods and on February 15, I did my first Strong Lifts workout. Granted, it was just the ten pound bar with no plates, but, hey…It was a start.

By mid-March, I had pretty much maxed out the studio bar and my husband took me back to D!ck’s, where we picked up my Oly bar and plates. Just tonight we were joking about how I struggled to get that 45 pound bar into the studio. :laugh: And the 45 pound plates? They were unboxed in the bed of the truck and carried in one at a time. I thought I was gonna die, LOL!

About that time, I screwed up my form on a bent over row, and ended up spraining my back. I finally went back to the doctor and she set me up with the Ortho, who confirmed a sprain. No lifting, no high impact anything for several weeks if I planned on doing the mud run. Fine. I walked. A lot.

The pics below are the progression from night one of 30DS to March:

sideprogressw.jpg

combinedfrontw.jpg

backprogressw.jpg

Ok, I’ll admit it. I’m just vain enough to have been impressed by my progress to that point, so I KNEW that I was going to get back to it as soon as the mud run was over.

This is me during the run:

19tirehill.jpg

I was tired, but by gawd, I was gonna finish the race, no matter what. And then my back went out again, coming out of the tunnel:

18tunnel.jpg

I finished. I held up my entire team, but they said, “We start as a team, we end as a team!” and they waited for me and we got through it.

After another couple of weeks of taking it easy, I was back to lifting. Still watching what I was eating, taking measurements and decided that I was going to wear an honest to goodness bikini by pool season. I set my goal date for Memorial Day. Met that goal two weeks early. I even wore it in public at the beach. Was I where I wanted to be? Nope, but I wore that sucker anyway. I am hesitant to post this picture, as it’s not the most flattering image, but what the hell, right?

janmayfront.jpg

(I always feel better about my progress pics when I put them side by side with my start picture, LOL…)

Kept lifting, and had another 5K - a Color Vibe in June. Ran it, loved it.

6404325_8186.jpg

I kept lifting and since summer was in full swing, I did swimming for my cardio.

By July, it was time for another progress pic:

6404325_3829.jpg

I set some more goals. The important one was to be able to get into my wedding dress in time for our ten year anniversary this coming December. I did it in September.

sl4q.jpg

The right side is me at 145 lbs in December 03. The left side is me at 157 lbs. They aren’t kidding when they say that the scale is a liar.

I started a lifting program in early September that I found on simplyshredded.com and have been doing that 4 times per week. Our gang is on week 8 of 12 and we are taking progress pics every four weeks. This is me before I started and then four weeks in: (I had to use different shorts because the first pair was getting kind of big.)

6fy2.jpg

Then there was the Fitsperation thread, and I had my husband take a few of me for that, and I used this:

6404325_589.jpg

I ran another 5K last Saturday - the Color Me Rad in Raleigh. I went solo as my partner had a medical issue and she couldn’t join me. It was AMAZING!

This morning, before I logged in for my 290th day here, I got on the scale, and OMG, the scale said “150.0” which was my goal weight. Holy crap! I’m at goal? Really? Sweet!

After I lifted this afternoon, I asked my husband to take a pic to commemorate the day (because I PR’d all over the place, too!):

6404325_5159.jpg

Was it hard? Yes, sometimes it was. Injuries suck, and I’m impatient.

Was it fun? Yes!

Was it frustrating? OMG, yeah! I hit a plateau at 163 again, but not a long one. The long one was the 8 weeks when I pinged between 156 and 159. I kept going, tho, because, dammit, I DON’T QUIT!

What have I learned? Form is better than weight on the bar. The scale is a liar, but the tape measure is my friend. I didn’t put it on overnight, so why did I expect to take it off overnight? Food is not bad; carbs are good, fat is good, chocolate and wine are good. The key is moderation. I didn’t give up one thing that I love to get to this point.

So what’s next? I’m sure not going anywhere, that’s for sure. I may end up logging food for the rest of my life, since I obviously can’t be trusted not to, LOL… Seriously, though…I would like to maybe ditch another five by Thanksgiving, but it’s not anything I’m going to lose sleep over. At that point, I will then begin a bulk so that I can build the muscle that I couldn’t on a deficit, and will cut again.

I promised my husband I would be bikini model hot by summer. Well, as hot as a 48 year old lady can be. :laugh: I am also contemplating doing a bikini division competition before I hit the big five-oh in June of 2014. I do know that I want to squat my body weight and deadlift at least 1.5 times more than my weight. I refuse to grow old gracefully, and I damned sure don’t want to be taking Boniva like my mom is...

I leave you with my two mantras, which I think are my words to live by:

"50 is the new 30"; and

"Will workout for wine!”

Edited because spelling counts...

Edited to further add that I have had the support of some very strong women over the past months. I don't want to single them out, but they know who they are. They've picked me up when I stumbled, let me cry on their virtual shoulders, worked out with me, made suggestions/corrections, and have just been THE most supportive group I could have ever asked for. :flowerforyou:

Well done and congratulations. You look smoking hot. When I reach my goal weight, hope my thighs look like yours. Enjoy your look and flaunt it as much as you can, because you work extremely hard for it.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You look effing amazing for 48! You have every reason to be proud! I am so impressed by how far you've come and your commitment to keep going.
  • Srsmith1955
    Srsmith1955 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! And it's wonderful to hear that you over came that plateau. I am in one and hope to get over it. I, like you, am so impatient. Thanks for your story and sharing!
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Awesome work!
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    WOW, amazing! So inspirational!! You look HOTT and so young!
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I just want to give you a hug right now! This is one of the best stories I've read since I started here. Your story is inspiring!
  • lukirashingurae
    Options
    You go, Girl!! So inspiring!!
  • sxynanaplay
    sxynanaplay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    WOW love your story, I have been considering heavy lifting but I don't know where to start, when I walk into the gym all the masculine guys are hogging all the iron lol and I feel a weeeeee bit intimidated so I end up on elliptical or doing manual workouts with dumbbells . Such an inspiration THANK YOU!
  • kkay3182
    kkay3182 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This is inspirational!!! Thank you for sharing, congratulations on your weight loss and you look fantastic :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!