Amenorrhea? How to re-gain period back.

Options

Replies

• alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I did not have a period for two years (I have PCOS plus I was quite overweight for my height) but now it's been a year on birth control (plus weight loss) and I have regular periods. If I was okay after two years without a period, I think you will be fine. But you should still see your doctor. :) (I do NOT recommend waiting as long as I did, haha - I just never had normal periods/I was in college at the time.)

ETA: A side effect of provera is hair loss.

I don't want to suffer more from hair loss. I already suffer from hair loss, not taking any pills or provera, I don't want to increased my falling hair. :(
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Seriously you NEED to see a Dr. It could be something basic it could be something that requires medical intervention. If you wish to have kids some day why risk it? My sister had this and it turned out to be hormonal issues, she now needs to take medication for it. So please go see a professional. All the best! And congrats on your amazing achievements! =D

I definitely do want to have kids in the future. However, I'm currently afraid to gain back lbs. I still want to build muscles and lose some fats.

Why do you think you'd gain weight? As long as you're burning as much as you eat, it will be fine.

You said you're netting 1500-1700 a day, right? So you're eating back all of your exercise calories? The hair loss thing made me think I should double-check this just to be sure. Hair falling out can happen when you're not eating enough or not getting enough nutrients.

I just recently increased my intake to 1500-1700 this month, before I was really cutting and limiting my daily intake to 1500 or less (gross) since I really wanted to lose the weight fast. I thought my hair loss is due to my shampoo, but then I've tried changing my shampoo for the past 2 months, still no improvement, maybe it is caused by some serious health issue though...

It's very possible it will come back now that you've upped your intake, but it may take awhile. I'd say make an appointment with the gynecologist and eat at maintenance until you can talk to him/her. Work out, but eat back all of your exercise calories. You'll still see health improvements but your body will be getting what it needs for sure until you discuss it with the doctor.
  • alechua
    Options
    Seriously you NEED to see a Dr. It could be something basic it could be something that requires medical intervention. If you wish to have kids some day why risk it? My sister had this and it turned out to be hormonal issues, she now needs to take medication for it. So please go see a professional. All the best! And congrats on your amazing achievements! =D

I definitely do want to have kids in the future. However, I'm currently afraid to gain back lbs. I still want to build muscles and lose some fats.

Why do you think you'd gain weight? As long as you're burning as much as you eat, it will be fine.

You said you're netting 1500-1700 a day, right? So you're eating back all of your exercise calories? The hair loss thing made me think I should double-check this just to be sure. Hair falling out can happen when you're not eating enough or not getting enough nutrients.

I just recently increased my intake to 1500-1700 this month, before I was really cutting and limiting my daily intake to 1500 or less (gross) since I really wanted to lose the weight fast. I thought my hair loss is due to my shampoo, but then I've tried changing my shampoo for the past 2 months, still no improvement, maybe it is caused by some serious health issue though...

It's very possible it will come back now that you've upped your intake, but it may take awhile. I'd say make an appointment with the gynecologist and eat at maintenance until you can talk to him/her. Work out, but eat back all of your exercise calories. You'll still see health improvements but your body will be getting what it needs for sure until you discuss it with the doctor.

Thanks! Hopefully! I'll go get see a GYN as soon as possible! :)
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think you need to sit back and think about your goal. Do you REALLY want to weigh 110 lbs? At 5' 3" that's really small! I am 5' 4" and got down to 113# and lost my periods. I felt like ****, always tired, and was convinced I had something wrong with me. I was exercising too much and eating WAAAAY to little. My periods didn't start coming back until I increased my calories. I'm now losing inches at 2200 calories a day and have a regular period again.

How about instead of focusing on the scale just focus on your body comp. As it is, at 120# I'm sure you don't need to lose much fat at all, just gotta work on building some muscle under that skin.

****HAHAHAHA! I have never entered a cuss word and so funny it bleeps it out!*****
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Sorry, thought I read that you had taken a number of preg tests so assumed that you would be sexually active for you to feel the need to bother doing that. May have been another poster. I thought provera was a contraceptive pill but if it has not actually been prescribed by a doc I would not be inclined to take it. That stuff can have impacts on your blood pressure and all sorts.

Just get to a doctor.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sorry, thought I read that you had taken a number of preg tests so assumed that you would be sexually active for you to feel the need to bother doing that. May have been another poster. I thought provera was a contraceptive pill but if it has not actually been prescribed by a doc I would not be inclined to take it. That stuff can have impacts on your blood pressure and all sorts.

Just get to a doctor.

You're thinking depo provera, which is a progesterone-based birth control. They're similar in that they both use medroxyprogesterone, but the concentrations and consumption methods are different.
  • alechua
    Options
    I think you need to sit back and think about your goal. Do you REALLY want to weigh 110 lbs? At 5' 3" that's really small! I am 5' 4" and got down to 113# and lost my periods. I felt like ****, always tired, and was convinced I had something wrong with me. I was exercising too much and eating WAAAAY to little. My periods didn't start coming back until I increased my calories. I'm now losing inches at 2200 calories a day and have a regular period again.

How about instead of focusing on the scale just focus on your body comp. As it is, at 120# I'm sure you don't need to lose much fat at all, just gotta work on building some muscle under that skin.

****HAHAHAHA! I have never entered a cuss word and so funny it bleeps it out!*****

Really would want to build muscle now, but that would mean losing fats right?
  • alechua
    Options

Just get to a doctor.

Yeah, will go to see a doctor as soon as possible. Thanks! :)
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i have lost 8-10 pounds in one month, which was the month that i lost my period. I suffered from secondary amenorrhea for 5 months and when i went back home (i study abroad) i went to see gynecologist. She told me that my ovaries were dying and that if i don't gain weight i might not be able to have kids at all. She gave me pills with estrogen that made me gain weight and get my period back. I had a check up in summer and my ovaries are working perfectly, i am back to being healthy.
    I was 5'8" and 110 pounds
    now i'm around 120 and still getting used to having some fat on my body.
    go see a gynecologist
  • maddisonfitt
    Options
    Eat two servings of healthy fat a day like avocados or organic peanut butter and it should come back.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

No, and even more, it will mean gaining scale weight (this is not a bad thing, scale weight change does not equal fat weight change). You build muscle by eating a slight surplus and doing strength training, not by eating at a deficit and doing HIIT cardio. The two are pretty much opposites (save for some advanced timing stuff), and while a newbie, former couch potato will gain some muscle when first doing HIIT, it tapers off rather quickly as the muscle built meets the demand of the training.

Also, if you're looking to build muscle, ditch most (if not all) of the HIIT stuff and look into plain old strength training (see also the following books: Starting Strength, Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym, New Rules of Lifting). HIIT is great for burning fat, if you have any to burn, but does little for building muscle. Trade it for a good strength building program and you'll be able to gain the muscle you want.

And remember the number on the scale, by itself, means nothing. If you start doing strength training, your weight may go up. This is not a bad thing. Muscle has mass, just like everything else. However, muscle is more dense than fat, so make sure to take measurements of various parts of your body, such as thighs, hips, chest, and waist. In women, especially, your measurements should trend downward, even if the number on the scale stays the same or goes up (women don't build as much muscular bulk as men do).
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

No, and even more, it will mean gaining scale weight (this is not a bad thing, scale weight change does not equal fat weight change). You build muscle by eating a slight surplus and doing strength training, not by eating at a deficit and doing HIIT cardio. The two are pretty much opposites (save for some advanced timing stuff), and while a newbie, former couch potato will gain some muscle when first doing HIIT, it tapers off rather quickly as the muscle built meets the demand of the training.

Also, if you're looking to build muscle, ditch most (if not all) of the HIIT stuff and look into plain old strength training (see also the following books: Starting Strength, Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym, New Rules of Lifting). HIIT is great for burning fat, if you have any to burn, but does little for building muscle. Trade it for a good strength building program and you'll be able to gain the muscle you want.

And remember the number on the scale, by itself, means nothing. If you start doing strength training, your weight may go up. This is not a bad thing. Muscle has mass, just like everything else. However, muscle is more dense than fat, so make sure to take measurements of various parts of your body, such as thighs, hips, chest, and waist. In women, especially, your measurements should trend downward, even if the number on the scale stays the same or goes up (women don't build as much muscular bulk as men do).

Yes to everything in this answer. If you want to build muscle you have to eat at a surplus. I would go to the calculators and figure out your TDEE and slowly start increasing your calories to that level. Unfortunately, this is a big game of trial and error.

I'll share with you my story in as little words as I can. I came from a Paleo/Crossfit background. I did Crossfit for almost 2 years and while I "thought" I ate enough, because I was never hungry, the reality was I was only eating 1100-1200 calories. Fast forward to injury (not crossfit related!!!!) and a move across the country and my body gobbled up the rest and the food. I discovered weight lifting since Crossfit was no longer an option (the intensity was too much for my shoulder). This past summer, I learned about Eat More to Weigh Less and did a metabolism reset. At this point, I wanted my periods back. It's been irregular for the past 3 years where I would have been able to count months in advance and know which day I would start. First month on my reset my period came back regular and has been in sync since. I started weight lifting in earnest in August. During my reset I gained 10 lbs (from 135# to 145#). I thought I was ready for cut so dropped calories a bit and gained another 5# (now 150#). Well..shoot. I wasn't about to cut calories out again so I figured I'd go back up. I'm now eating MORE than I did at my "reset" and even though the scale has shown that I've gained about 3 pounds on top of everything else (now 153#), I have lost 4" on my body in the past 12 weeks. Not only that, I SEE that I've gained muscle and lost body fat even though the scale hasn't budged.

I won't lie. I feel like a whale some days because I'm usually around 130# and it's a HUGE mental game to get away from thinking about the scale as a be all end all. When you do start increasing calories you will gain some weight. Just accept that it will happen, but it's mostly going to be bloat and your body adjusting to the new amounts of food. Your body functions will start working properly. It may take some time before you see changes. I know it took me about 7 weeks after my reset to notice a difference.

If you want to see my pictures I have them posted here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1118347-thread-for-my-progress-gonna-keep-it-all-here
  • momtotwokiddos
    momtotwokiddos Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post made by Voodoo... we were just talking about this in college.
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Vitex, prenatal vitamins, and evening primrose will help but go to the dr, please!
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I had to see a gyno to get mine back. I had low body fat and had to gain some weight because I was too thin.
    My weight was perfectly average but told me nothing about how little body fat I actually had and needed to gain back.

Even in that case, I never was told to stop exercising.
  • alechua
    Options

I'm somewhat confused. I've been reading comments that by gaining muscle you effectively lose more fats in the long run. I know that by gaining muscle you'll weigh much heavier and so what I plan to do is to reach a 110lbs then start building muscle, so in case that my weight increases due to muscle increase, it'll go somewhere 115-120lbs. But right now, my body doesn't seem to agree, I'm down to 120lbs and missed my period. Right now, I just want my period back. :(
  • alechua
    Options

Yes to everything in this answer. If you want to build muscle you have to eat at a surplus. I would go to the calculators and figure out your TDEE and slowly start increasing your calories to that level. Unfortunately, this is a big game of trial and error.

I'll share with you my story in as little words as I can. I came from a Paleo/Crossfit background. I did Crossfit for almost 2 years and while I "thought" I ate enough, because I was never hungry, the reality was I was only eating 1100-1200 calories. Fast forward to injury (not crossfit related!!!!) and a move across the country and my body gobbled up the rest and the food. I discovered weight lifting since Crossfit was no longer an option (the intensity was too much for my shoulder). This past summer, I learned about Eat More to Weigh Less and did a metabolism reset. At this point, I wanted my periods back. It's been irregular for the past 3 years where I would have been able to count months in advance and know which day I would start. First month on my reset my period came back regular and has been in sync since. I started weight lifting in earnest in August. During my reset I gained 10 lbs (from 135# to 145#). I thought I was ready for cut so dropped calories a bit and gained another 5# (now 150#). Well..shoot. I wasn't about to cut calories out again so I figured I'd go back up. I'm now eating MORE than I did at my "reset" and even though the scale has shown that I've gained about 3 pounds on top of everything else (now 153#), I have lost 4" on my body in the past 12 weeks. Not only that, I SEE that I've gained muscle and lost body fat even though the scale hasn't budged.

I won't lie. I feel like a whale some days because I'm usually around 130# and it's a HUGE mental game to get away from thinking about the scale as a be all end all. When you do start increasing calories you will gain some weight. Just accept that it will happen, but it's mostly going to be bloat and your body adjusting to the new amounts of food. Your body functions will start working properly. It may take some time before you see changes. I know it took me about 7 weeks after my reset to notice a difference.

If you want to see my pictures I have them posted here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1118347-thread-for-my-progress-gonna-keep-it-all-here

But I've been reading comments that we can still gain muscle even on a calorie deficit. I make sure I don't exceed my daily goal of calorie intake, I just make sure I include lots of protein on it, like fish and chicken, and lessen the carbs. Am I doing it all wrong? Any opinion?
  • alechua
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Vitex, prenatal vitamins, and evening primrose will help but go to the dr, please!

Honestly, I was somewhat hesitant to consult a doctor. In the country where I live right now, consulting an OBGYN creates false issues. But yeah, I probably need to see a doctor, I don't want to wait or worsen my case. Thanks! :)
  • rosemary98
    Options
    My guess is exercise expenditure.

i don't know if this will give you hope (or just confuse the issue more), but I lost my period for almost two years due to low weight. once I restored some weight, my period returned normally. And, I was very fertile afterwards. I guess what I am saying is even though you are missing your period now, it doesn't mean your fertility is screwed. But it is something you want to correct very soon because long-term effects could be very dramatic.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have only had two periods in the last year. I went to the GYN multiple times about it and they were unable to find any reason for it. They put me on hormone pills twice, did blood work, did an ultrasound and could find no reason.

She said having no cycle can increase your risk of cancer, but that was the only negative mentioned and she pretty much gave up on looking for anything wrong, which was fine with me because I wasn't paying for any more dr visits.

I don't over exercise or under eat. I'm still 10-15 lbs over my goals weight. I have no idea what it is, but I was hoping this thread would give me some ideas.