I can't lose weight!!

Options
So I hired a personal trainer about 3 months ago and I work out 3-5 days a week and track my calories but I'm not losing weight. Depending on the day I keep losing the same 5lbs over and over and can't brake under 200. I don't understand what's wrong with me. I'm running and doing weight training/crossfit type of training. You would think that the weight should be coming off but it's not. So I'm asking for advice to see if anyone has any suggestions that I haven't tried. Thanks!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your diary appears to be mostly empty. Are you tracking your calories? If so, how much are you eating? And are you using a food scale to measure your foods or eyeballing your portion sizes?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Getting lots of exercise is lovely, great for your health. Excess fat storage is about FOOD. For some of us, even the kind of food matters.

You are eating only 1200 calories per day (far too low) and it's almost all processed grain/sugar products (based on today, since there is nothing tracked for days previously). Good luck with that. And of course, you are avoiding fat like the plague. Is your trainer advising your diet? Your doctor? You might consider trying something different. Many people here will tell you that the quality of food doesn't matter but in my experience it's the most important factor of all for health. (Hint: healthy bodies do not store excess fat.)
  • StephFork
    StephFork Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Your diary appears to be mostly empty. Are you tracking your calories? If so, how much are you eating? And are you using a food scale to measure your foods or eyeballing your portion sizes?

I tracked for a long time and eat a lot of the same meals so I stopped tracking but I'm starting it back up again to show a doctor. I don't have a food scale so I am eyeballing it but I'd like like to think that I guess over instead of under. I have tried several ranges of calorie levels from under 1200 up to 1800. Based on what different people have told me.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and get a food scale. Eyeballing isn't the most accurate option.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

This.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You just gotta keep on keepin' on..............
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I tracked for a long time and eat a lot of the same meals so I stopped tracking but I'm starting it back up again to show a doctor. I don't have a food scale so I am eyeballing it but I'd like like to think that I guess over instead of under. I have tried several ranges of calorie levels from under 1200 up to 1800. Based on what different people have told me.

There's your answer possibly. Get yourself a cheap kitchen scale. It wasn't until I used mine (and still do) that I knew about portion control.

Also check out your BMR/TDEE too.
  • StephFork
    Options
    Ok I guess I will invest in a food scale. I just can't believe how hard it is to lose weight. Thanks everyone.
  • StephFork
    Options

What's BMR/TDEE ?
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

yeah. get a scale. you may be surprised. I also thought i was over guestimating on food but turned out i was way underestimating.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You are most likely overeating.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

What's BMR/TDEE ?

BMR stands for Basal Metabolic Rate. It's roughly the number of calories your body would burn keeping you alive in a coma.

TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's the number of calories you burn in a day, and also the number of calories you'd need to eat to maintain your current weight. Eating below this number is how you lose weight.

There are a lot of online calculators to get an estimate or your numbers, like this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So I hired a personal trainer about 3 months ago and I work out 3-5 days a week and track my calories but I'm not losing weight. Depending on the day I keep losing the same 5lbs over and over and can't brake under 200. I don't understand what's wrong with me. I'm running and doing weight training/crossfit type of training. You would think that the weight should be coming off but it's not. So I'm asking for advice to see if anyone has any suggestions that I haven't tried. Thanks!

I understand this frustration. It is the story of my life. Your diet probably has a lot to do with the scale not moving, I know my diet is my issue!

That being said, the scale is not everything. The scale is a lying biotch!

this is me over a 7 month period. The left is a week after I started working with a trainer, the middle is 2 months later when I had to switch trainers ( the first one moved out of town), the right is 4 months later...I only lost THREE POUNDS in that 7 month period.

9799221974_4ccc67c1f0.jpg
    2/13, 4/13, 9/13 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • StephFork
    Options
    Ok I did the chart and I know I eat way under 2600 calories a day. Even if I over ate like some of you said it wouldn't be by that much. I don't drink sodas either. I try to space out my snacks to build up my metabolism.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I agree with all those saying you're probably doing something wrong with your food.

Weight loss is about what you eat....and you can't out-exercise a bad diet. Make sure you're not overestimating, and also not underestimating too much...because you could also be eating too little.
  • StephFork
    Options

I understand this frustration. It is the story of my life. Your diet probably has a lot to do with the scale not moving, I know my diet is my issue!

That being said, the scale is not everything. The scale is a lying biotch!

this is me over a 7 month period. The left is a week after I started working with a trainer, the middle is 2 months later when I had to switch trainers ( the first one moved out of town), the right is 4 months later...I only lost THREE POUNDS in that 7 month period.

9799221974_4ccc67c1f0.jpg
    2/13, 4/13, 9/13 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

That's great you look like you've lost inches. I have too. I guess I should add that in. I've lost over 13 inches on my body but I can't tell a big difference and I know the scale isn't moving. Thanks for the motivation!
  • StephFork
    Options
    I agree with all those saying you're probably doing something wrong with your food.

Weight loss is about what you eat....and you can't out-exercise a bad diet. Make sure you're not overestimating, and also not underestimating too much...because you could also be eating too little.

Thanks. I think if anything I under eat most of the time. I've struggled with that a lot. I don't understand the science of losing weight.
  • deereb123
    deereb123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree that you have to log your calories. It makes a huge difference, even if you typically eat the same meals over and over.

Second, I would suggest taking an honest look at what you are eating. It might be worth the investment of working with a dietician to help you develop an eating plan if you haven't already found a good plan that you could utilize.

Also, find an accountability partner (friend, family member, co-worker, etc.) that can keep you motivated as well as holding you accountability to consistently following your eating plan.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It really is about the foods and calories. You can exercise all day long but if you are not keeping track of your food correctly then you will fail.

What helped me was planning my day the night before. Let me tell you why it helped me... because in the early evening after dinner I did not feel hungry, I had completed my exercise for the day and I would be feeling in a good place.

So, entering everything into my MFP diary for the next day made it all so easy for me. I could wake up and know what I was going to eat.

This helped me plan with shopping also.

If I left it to chance and just opened a cupboard or the fridge then it could be so easy to make bad choices.

As I added exercise during that planned day, then I would add healthy snacks.

I logged each and everyday and it worked.

I have been maintaining for nearly a year.

If I can do it and lots of other MFP users can do it, then you can do it too x
  • gera368
    gera368 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For more help look at this:

http://impruvism.com/slow-fat-loss/

If I eat 2600 a day, I will gain weight.
    Think you have to go lower in your calories :-)
    But don't go lower than 1200.
    Drink a lot of water; 10 or more cups a day will definitely help.
    Look for supportive friends where you can learn from.
    Go for it! You can do it!!!