Meeting Calorie goal for the day

Options
I started changing my eating habits about two weeks ago and started using myfitnesspal one week ago. I feel like when I am eating right I usually only eat 900-1000 calories per day. When I go home at night I dont want to just eat an unhealthy snack just to meet my 1200 calorie/day goal. Any suggestions on good snacks?

I am actaully going to a medical weight loss clinic for help. They have told me to snack on protein so I will stay full longer, I have been snacking on cheese and boiled eggs (I usually have them readily available so that I can just grab a snack if I feel hungry)

I am just concerned that I am eating too many fats. I also found that snacking on beef jerky is good and it is high in protein. I was just wondering if anyone else had any other suggestions.

:happy:

Replies

• mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and avocados are very yummy (Not together :) ), but are also high in fat. However, they are healthy fats and would keep you full longer than your typical processed snack.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    I second the peanut butter, or almond, or nuts in general if they aren't salted :)
  • BlutAura
    Options
    I've got to admit that the recommended calorie intake this site has given me is a bit more than what I've been advised to have so I've left it there as a buffer in case... Weekends when I'm more active I try to hit it but I also don't want to eat crap to get there.... So will probably look at nuts to fill up as they have proteins as well.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Although it is important to get plenty of protein, you also need to make sure you are getting plenty of fruits and vegetables. Fruit is a good way to get your calories up in a healthy way, especially if you combine it with a little protein. Try having an apple with a piece of cheese. Eat a banana with a little peanut butter or almond butter. If you like jerkey (try to get the lower sodium kinds), have a serving of jerkey with an orange or plum or something.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    How have you been measuring your food? Use a food scale to get the most accurate calorie count. I found that I was underestimating my calories all the time before I bought a scale. Re-evaluate after you truly know how much you are eating. I recommend eating at least the 1200. I've lost more weight by eating enough calories. You don't want to deprive or under nourish your body. (especially if you are exercising everyday)
  • MGJ123
    MGJ123 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A friend recently told me about these Pure Protein bars. They have 18-20 grams of protein but only 2-3 grams of sugar, and they have 180-200 calories (depending on the flavor you get). Now they are not gonna taste like a Snicker's bar but I like them and they do keep me full. I have found them in the pharmacy area at Walmart but plan on checking elsewhere as well.