Don't want to eat a whole avocado at once

Options
Hi, I usually only use half of an avocado in my salad or whatever and like to save the other half for the next day or a few days after but it always goes brown. Does anybody have any good tips for saving the other half for a couple of days?
Thanks!

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Leave the pit in. Also a little sprinkle of lime or lemon juice and cover tightly with saran wrap immediately. No air should get to the fruit if you can help it.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I cover the cut part of the avocado with the empty skin of the part I just used and store in a sealed plastic zipper bag. Stays acceptable for two or three days. Don't know why it works, but it does.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I cover the cut part of the avocado with the empty skin of the part I just used and store in a sealed plastic zipper bag. Stays acceptable for two or three days. Don't know why it works, but it does.

I'm loving these tips! I will try it too. Thanks people!!!

I usually wind up having the whole thing at once, so I buy smaller than average avocadoes from Aldi. It would be really nice not to have to do that!
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Leave the pit in. Also a little sprinkle of lime or lemon juice and cover tightly with saran wrap immediately. No air should get to the fruit if you can help it.

^ This !!!

if no lemon or lime, use vinegar. plastic wrap works nicely, but another option is a snack size ziplock back also works (and i add more lime/lemon/vinegar in bag).
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Stick it in the freezer ^_^
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I steer away from processed food, but I had the same problem with avocado. Then I found 100 calorie snack packs of wholly guacamole. The ingredient list is about as good as it gets (it's guac, so it's got spices added), but I use those snap-closed chip clips that seal and put them on the packet before I open it, then I only open half, use 50 calories worth of guacamole on my salad or tacos or whatever, then drop the other half in the fridge and it stays PERFECT. The packets also freeze very well and thaw quickly in a glass of water.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Any acid will help slow browning, but lemon or lime juice are best because of their high vitamin C content. Oxygen reacts with the ascorbic acid (vitamin C) before reaching the avocado, providing an extra barrier. Plus, hey! It's pre-seasoned for guacamole!
  • keegalie
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone!
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    use the other half to make avocado ice cream (as far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as left over avocado)... just mash it with lime juice, orange jam, pistachio nuts and put it in the freezer.
    I'm mad for that stuff :)
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    use the other half to make avocado ice cream (as far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as left over avocado)... just mash it with lime juice, orange jam, pistachio nuts and put it in the freezer.
    I'm mad for that stuff :)

awesome tip. Will buy an avocado tomorrow just to try this :-)
  • bossslj
    Options
    Buy one of these! Best invention ever!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300939405166?lpid=82
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I always pour lemon or lime juice on mine.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I steer away from processed food, but I had the same problem with avocado. Then I found 100 calorie snack packs of wholly guacamole. The ingredient list is about as good as it gets (it's guac, so it's got spices added), but I use those snap-closed chip clips that seal and put them on the packet before I open it, then I only open half, use 50 calories worth of guacamole on my salad or tacos or whatever, then drop the other half in the fridge and it stays PERFECT. The packets also freeze very well and thaw quickly in a glass of water.

+1 !
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The brown is simply oxidation from air. Lemon or lime juice will help slow it. Tight seal will slow it, but recently I heard on a culinary program to give a quick squirt from cooking spray or even a wipe with olive oil. That will also prevent air from turning it brown. I tried it, it works great and since the cado is already oily, I just brush the spray off quickly with a paper towel. Voila, no more brown.
  • Ossodog
    Ossodog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Okay so I used to live really close to Mexico, everyone there always just left the pit in the unused halt and wrapped 2 paper towels over it. Thats what I do it lasts about 3-4 days in my fridge door at the top(the little door/dood egg thingy). Never has failed me and beats fighting with plastic wrap or wasting a bag.