thin crust or hand tossed

Options
Okay i've been on the internet for hours trying to get the correct nutritional content for pizza. Something funny happened while searching. I went on Dominoes website and it has their "hand tossed" pizza having less calories than "thin" is this correct???? I would think thin crust had the least calories (and i'm not including what put on it, just generally speaking)

Replies

• LinnPitt
    Options
    I can't see hand tossed having less calories than thin crust.. there is more bread so it makes sense that it would have more carbs and calories. I know this site has some dominos pizzas on here. but not sure how accurate the calorie count is.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I can't see hand tossed having less calories than thin crust.. there is more bread so it makes sense that it would have more carbs and calories. I know this site has some dominos pizzas on here. but not sure how accurate the calorie count is.

There might not be more bread, the bread might just have more air in it due to rising from the yeast. thin crust wouldn't have yeast therefore less air. Which ever weighs less would most likely have less calories if the other ingredients are similar. Maybe the thin crusts pan has oil on it where the hand tosses is just placed in the oven???
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I went on the site and sure enough- a small thin crust with cheese (1/6) is 220 cals and a small hand tossed with cheese (1/6) is 210. Weird. Lol.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    its a different recipe of crust. the hand tossed crust has WAYYY more yeast in it and there for more air. also the thin crust might have more flour per pound of dough. and flour is FULL of calories (a cup of flour is like 200 calories or something, its ridiculous)
  • brazenhazen
    brazenhazen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've used the site many times. Watch your serving serving sizes on the smaller pizza's. They switch from 1/6 to 1/4 of a pizza depending on the crust. So thin crust is accually less like you would think. Also don't trust the Cal-O-meter all the time. I beleive the PDF is more accurate, but more confusing.
  • LinnPitt
    Options

There might not be more bread, the bread might just have more air in it due to rising from the yeast. thin crust wouldn't have yeast therefore less air. Which ever weighs less would most likely have less calories if the other ingredients are similar. Maybe the thin crusts pan has oil on it where the hand tosses is just placed in the oven???

as a gourmet cook I have made many pizza in my time. I have never seen a recipe anywhere for pizza dough that didn't contain yeast. the thickness and texture of the crust is dependent on how they prepare it and how thin or thick they roll or toss it. the thicker crusts are allowed to rise and the thin crust is baked before it rises. so yes I agree with you now that I think about it that it may not be more bread. but I still disagree that thin has more calories.
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    See Its so confusing! And i plan on having at least 2 slices tonight. Here's what i was going to get: 2 slices of thin or hand crust (confused), grilled chicken, jalapeno, green peppers or mushrooms. so im good with my toppings now if i could just decide on the crust i'll be set!!!! Its like a 100 calories difference and that matters to me lol!!!!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    See Its so confusing! And i plan on having at least 2 slices tonight. Here's what i was going to get: 2 slices of thin or hand crust (confused), grilled chicken, jalapeno, green peppers or mushrooms. so im good with my toppings now if i could just decide on the crust i'll be set!!!! Its like a 100 calories difference and that matters to me lol!!!!

It's actually on 10 cals difference. If you notice with the medium pizzas- for one crust they are calculating based on 1/8 of a pizza and with the other crust it is 1/4 of the pizza. The slices are different sizes. If you get a small the slices are the same size for both crusts and there's only a 10 cal difference.
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

It's actually on 10 cals difference. If you notice with the medium pizzas- for one crust they are calculating based on 1/8 of a pizza and with the other crust it is 1/4 of the pizza. The slices are different sizes. If you get a small the slices are the same size for both crusts and there's only a 10 cal difference.

OK thanks, so go with the small either crust?