I really HATE the word "diet"!

Options
I get so tired of my roomies saying "but you're on a diet" as they eat whatever they want to and fuss if i want a bite of something to soothe my cravings. I appreciate that they're trying to be helpful, but it really just ticks me off! This week has been horrible for "dieting". I could blame it on stress, because there is plenty of that going around right now. I really try looking at it as a lifestyle change and I've done it before when I had to. I am feeling sooo childish right now, because I just want to kick and scream "I DON'T WANNA!"

The thing is: I'm not a child and I need to do this for my health because I'm a diabetic as well as having depression and other problems that can be affected. Doing it for myself just isn't enough for me. Yes, I have esteem problems. Yes, I'm on meds for everything. Unfortunately they don't cure everything. Anyway, I'm not sure why I posted this, but I needed to get it off my chest, I guess.

Replies

• IngeS18
    IngeS18 Posts: 36
    Options
    It's good that you posted this. Sometimes you just need a vent for your frustration and the forums are a great place for it =)
    Everybody has their ups and downs. I just had a chocolate bar... I have a weakness for chocolate and the holidays are coming up so the supermarkets are full of them!
    It's okay if you have a slip sometimes. You are allowed a snack every once in a while! Tell your friends that.

Just remember, if you ever feel down or frustrated again, vent it on here. There's bound to be somebody who would like to help you and cheer you on!
    You've already lost 13 lbs so far, you're doing great
  • lordofultima
    Options
    I'm not on a diet, this is another day in the rest of my life. People on "diets" always fail, because they get off the "diet" eventually.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Totally know what you mean. It's not a DIET. I am not on a diet. My husband says my diet sucks. LOL,but I am not on a diet! This is how I eat and will forever eat. Once I reach my goal weight, I'm not going to start drinking soda again or whole milk or junk food!
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't think of this as a diet at all. This is me taking a long hard look at how I live and how I can help my health issues now and prevent more in the future.

But... if want to have pizza, I will have it (difference is once a month, not once a week - and no longer double-cheese and a side of garlic bread!). I'm not going to deny myself that, or chocolate, or chinese takeaway for the rest of my life - I am just having them far less regularly and ensuring that they are the treat that they should be, not a regular occurrence.

As one of the other people on this thread said - people fall off diets, largely because they deny themselves treats and then give into their cravings in a big way. This is about 're-training' your body and mind about how to eat - not a '12 week' crash course :smile:

Even if friends and family don't understand - there are lots of us here in exactly the same position. We understand where you are coming from so vent that frustration!!! :laugh:
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Good to take your frustration out here. You are doing a great job! It's your body, you plan, and really none of their business. I was very VERY strict on myself the first 50lbs. I measured and weighed everything! Now, if I want a treat, I have a treat. I do male sure my calories allow it though. I also buy the bite size candy bars. That way I get my chocolate fix when I need it, but not to bad on calories. Sweedish fish is another one of my sugar fixes. I have a 60 calorie, fat free bag, akmost everyday. Keep up the good work. This is your life, and your LIFE STYLE CHANGE, (i don't like the word diet either, as I have never stuck to one) not thiers!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    But... if want to have pizza, I will have it (difference is once a month, not once a week - and no longer double-cheese and a side of garlic bread!). I'm not going to deny myself that, or chocolate, or chinese takeaway for the rest of my life - I am just having them far less regularly and ensuring that they are the treat that they should be, not a regular occurrence.

Oh, totally! I still eat pizza and chinese and go out to dinner! I haven't sucked the fun out of eating which is probably why I have lasted as long as I have. 'Cus if you do restrict yourself from that then eventually it'll fall downhill. I love me some chinese!! I eat it more than pizza! Lol
  • LeighAyenashi
    LeighAyenashi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your support. Even the best of intentions can sometimes produce the opposite effect. You've bolstered me and hopefully my determination. Not to mention my sanity! :laugh: