Sugar!

Options
help!
I started around 3 days ago, and i've noticed that while i am able to stay within the 1200 calorie limit, i exceed my sugar levels everyday, sometimes by twice as much! how is this even possible?

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    are you diabetic? is fruit causing you to go over? Why are you eatting under 1200 calories?

I suggest you read this and lean some of the basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    It’s possible because MFP does not distinguish between natural sugars from fruits and such or the kinds from cake and ice cream. Not that that is a big deal really. If you don't have a medical reason to watch you sugar then just don't worry about it.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    are you diabetic? is fruit causing you to go over? Why are you eatting under 1200 calories?

I suggest you read this and lean some of the basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

All of this. Make sure you do some reading to adjust your calorie goal and are in a reasonable calorie deficit; MFP gives most members the recommandation of 1,200 cals, it's hardly ever enough.

Back on topic: Ignore sugar if there's no health reason that makes it important to watch it. Just make sure you hit your carb limit.
  • ZarooB
    ZarooB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    im not diabetic, but i think it must be the fruit i'm eating. i usually have one banana and half a pomegranate everyday. guess i'll just ignore it then, lol.
  • gajones02
    gajones02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Back on topic: Ignore sugar if there's no health reason that makes it important to watch it. Just make sure you hit your carb limit.

I'm also new and had almost the same question as the OP.

I am close to, but still over my sugar count each day. It's fruit. My sugar goal is 30 and a medium banana is 14---almost half.

Should I replace the sugar count with carbs in the total tracker at the bottom of my diary?? There's only six columns and I can't figure out how to, or if it's possible to add another.

Thanks.
  • weezie1206
    weezie1206 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same, everyday I seem to double the recommended sugar intake (or triple if I actually have something like honey or a glass of juice) and it's all basically coming from fruit and yogurt, so I've decided to ignore that daily goal because I'm not about to stop eating fruit! :tongue:
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It’s possible because MFP does not distinguish between natural sugars from fruits and such or the kinds from cake and ice cream. Not that that is a big deal really. If you don't have a medical reason to watch you sugar then just don't worry about it.

Sugar is sugar - whether is refined or fructose. However, you're better off getting your sugar of course from fruits etc than refined sugar in cake & ice-cream. But still, there is a limit to even how much fructose sugar you should be consuming in a day. 2 pieces of fruit daily is quite acceptable. But even Im struggling at the moment as I am going into more raw eating and its also going into summer where I am and fruit and smoothies are soooo yummy!
  • krisp1108
    krisp1108 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Huh?? What does diabetes have to do with this? And she's not saying she's eating LESS than 1200 Calories, just that she's staying within the limit of 1200.

Like someone else said, MFP isn't differentiating between the natural sugars and processes. Just try to see where the high sugar items are and figure out if you can cut back on it.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

I'm also new and had almost the same question as the OP.

I am close to, but still over my sugar count each day. It's fruit. My sugar goal is 30 and a medium banana is 14---almost half.

Should I replace the sugar count with carbs in the total tracker at the bottom of my diary?? There's only six columns and I can't figure out how to, or if it's possible to add another.

Thanks.

Yes, don't concern yourself too much sugar (Unless you have a medical condition which calls for it), just track whatever you want, and maintain a caloric deficit. Read up on how to develop a caloric deficit, dont' just rely on the number MFP spits out at you
  • soul_nourish
    Options
    Hi

I'm new on here but have a great interest in nutrition!

Here is some information about sugar and its link to weight. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no harm in having sugar in your diet, it's just a case of less is more and it should be eaten responsibly (http://soul-nourishment.com/lorem-lorem-lorem/).

If you look at most food packaging, carbohydrates are largely made up of sugar but, in the case of low GI foods ("good" quality carbs), these are released slowly into the blood stream.

For weight loss, my advice would be eat protein with every meal but and to increase your healthy fat intake as this can encourage weight loss.

Thanks

Michelle
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

I would track calories (default) carbs, fats, proteins and fiber. In the last slot track something you want to make sure you are getting enough of... for me it was iron and now it's potassium.

Barring a medical issue, the only thing problematic about sugar is if it takes you over your TDEE... which goes for any macro as well.