Breaking Free From Binge Eating

Options
usmcmp
usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
I know I struggle with binge eating and I am working on fixing it. I found this today and I hope that it will help some of us. I realize this may have been shared already, but it is worth sharing again.

http://www.niashanks.com/2013/09/20-tips-binge-eating/

Here are the main points, the article explains what they really mean.

1) Another diet is NOT the answer
2) Think ADDITION instead of RESTRICTION
3) Stop trying to be perfect
4) Stay off the scale
5) Ditch cheat days
6) Celebrate ALL victories and don’t dwell over minor set-backs
7) Ditch the rigid rules
8) Food may be fuel, but it should also be enjoyed
9) Put the focus on what your body can DO
10) Have positive support
11) Focus on ACTIONS, not outcomes
12) How to handle binge foods?
13) Stay away from “rapid fat loss” approaches
14) Be patient
15) Be kind to yourself
16) Know that you’re amazing as you are, at this very moment
17) Learn to listen to your body
18) Stop focusing on fat loss
19) Engage in positive self-talk
20) Be confident

How exactly you choose to implement the tips above is up to you. Begin with the tips that will be easiest for you to employ.

Don’t try to do everything all at once. Choose a few tips that sound the easiest and apply them. Do your best to apply those tips consistently for a few weeks, and then add another tip or two.

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I love reading the articles she posts on Lift Like a Girl.

I've been a real sucker for binge eating these past few weeks, and considering I haven't made a considerable gain in weight from it, I'm finding it really hard to get back on track. Hoping to implement some of these ideas myself. =)
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It seems a nice article (marking it to read it later). Actually it is a bad "addiction" and, as that, it is probably something you will have to have "an eye" on for years (if not for the rest of your life) hugely difficult to break. I go for long weeks eating healthy and working out and then something (in your day/life) happens, you spoil your day, you think of starting over the next day but you spoil it again and when you realise several days in a row have been less that satisfactory (half-hearted workouts, and not a perfect diet either). Thanks for posting it, it applies to a lot of us, will be having a nice look later when the "kiddies" are not around.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    thanks for introducing her to me. her blog is simply amazing.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    thanks for introducing her to me. her blog is simply amazing.

She does have a lot of great stuff. Glad to share.
  • JennieT7161
    JennieT7161 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. I recently put a name to this habit I've had all my life - binge eating so I'm looking forward to learning how I can deal with it.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I needed this yesterday BEFORE my 1194 calorie bacon cheeseburger and fries. :huh:
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GrimmJKA
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this. It will definitely help me.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I'm glad to see some replies. It's nice to know we aren't alone. I think I will always have to be careful about the balance, but it is manageable.
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Bumping for the evening crowd today.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Tip #2 (addition instead of restriction) really works for me. I find that when I focus on adding protein, other, less nutritionally valuable foods drop to the wayside.
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for sharing; this is great :)
  • CarKiller2013
    CarKiller2013 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! It's now bookmarked. :flowerforyou:
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options

4) Stay off the scale
    5) Ditch cheat days

These two are the most important to me and i think would be huge for others to focus on as well. Through out this mfp losing weight process, i've learned some devilish little details about myself. 1) i can't handle seeing my weight fluctuate. Period! I'm such an excuse maker it's ridiculous. I self sabotage myself to the point where i feel like i'm trying really hard, but if i look at it objectively, i'm really just caving in all the time. If i eat right for 3 days and check my weight and i see that i either haven't lost any weight or I'm up a pound, i freak out. Even logically knowing about weight fluctuations, i can't think logically. I resort to emotion way too much when it comes to my weight so when i see a bad number, i start thinking "ahhh this isn't working. I've deprived myself of binge-ing the way i wanna and i haven't even made any progress! Welp, may as well eat crap for the rest of the day". And that happens..alot.

And cheat days i had to pretty much eliminate altogether. I just couldn't handle being able to eat whatever i wanted. I felt like i was always switching modes. Like for the week i was in "i'm gonna lose weight rarrrrr" mode and i was dedicated and awesome. Then i let myself cheat and i felt like that lazy piece of crap that i've been for the past decade. My self image goes back to what i was and it's like a self fulfilling prophecy. I just go back to not counting calories and boom...back where i started.

But that's just me. This list is awesome and deserves a BUMP!
  • usmcmp
    Options

4) Stay off the scale
    5) Ditch cheat days

These two are the most important to me and i think would be huge for others to focus on as well. Through out this mfp losing weight process, i've learned some devilish little details about myself. 1) i can't handle seeing my weight fluctuate. Period! I'm such an excuse maker it's ridiculous. I self sabotage myself to the point where i feel like i'm trying really hard, but if i look at it objectively, i'm really just caving in all the time. If i eat right for 3 days and check my weight and i see that i either haven't lost any weight or I'm up a pound, i freak out. Even logically knowing about weight fluctuations, i can't think logically. I resort to emotion way too much when it comes to my weight so when i see a bad number, i start thinking "ahhh this isn't working. I've deprived myself of binge-ing the way i wanna and i haven't even made any progress! Welp, may as well eat crap for the rest of the day". And that happens..alot.

And cheat days i had to pretty much eliminate altogether. I just couldn't handle being able to eat whatever i wanted. I felt like i was always switching modes. Like for the week i was in "i'm gonna lose weight rarrrrr" mode and i was dedicated and awesome. Then i let myself cheat and i felt like that lazy piece of crap that i've been for the past decade. My self image goes back to what i was and it's like a self fulfilling prophecy. I just go back to not counting calories and boom...back where i started.

But that's just me. This list is awesome and deserves a BUMP!

I don't do cheat days, but even going out for a burger or pizza and fitting it in my calories is enough to start a binge. Sometimes I have control and other times I don't. I try to just eat the same things over and over because knowing how much they will fill me up keeps me from fearing hunger.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Join my No Binge November group! over 130 members already!~