Getting big vs. getting ripped

Options
My goal is to reduce body fat, get fit and look great. I want to know if anyone has any tips on getting stronger while maintaining flexibility and without getting big and bulky (I play golf and don't like the bulky look). My current workout routine is generally some combination of golf, running, eliptical, stationary bike, free weights and bench. I am considering starting insanity as well.

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating at a surplus, you won't get big whatever you do.

If you want to get "ripped", eat at a deficit to lose %bf.

To get stronger, lift heavy weights with progressive loading. Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, All Pro's or similar.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    If you want to get bigger then bulk, if you want to get leaner then cut. Either way you should be lifting. It sounds like you want to cut so just eat less and lift.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    your mind is mixed up... its getting big and ripped or getting skinny and frail and wondering why you're not ripped.... reevaluate what you think you know... you dont need to be massive. but, dont give me that "everyone has abs" bs
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    To get lean eat at TDEE -20% while trying to keep your protein to 1gm per lb of bodyweight and incorporating weights(you wont look like jay cutler by just doing that).
  • Euroboss
    Euroboss Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Anyone that worries about 'bulking up' doesn't have the dedication or knowledge to 'bulk up'
  • jpace00
    Options
    @Euroboss. If you don't have anything constructive to say then just keep it to yourself. Throwing out demonstrative comments about people not having the dedication or knowledge is neither helpful nor particular kind of you. You know nothing about the people you're insulting.

A) Dedication isn't my problem
    B) If I had the knowledge, I wouldn't be asking the question now would I?

There are perfectly polite ways to answer questions. Nothing bothers me more then rude people in what is otherwise a great community. Thanks to everyone else, you're advice is much apreciated.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    My goal is to reduce body fat, get fit and look great. I want to know if anyone has any tips on getting stronger while maintaining flexibility and without getting big and bulky (I play golf and don't like the bulky look). My current workout routine is generally some combination of golf, running, eliptical, stationary bike, free weights and bench. I am considering starting insanity as well.

Non-retarded lifting programme + moderate calorie deficit will leave you ripped. (Richard mentioned the most popular barbell-centric ones. If barbells are not an option, then bodyweight routines such as YAYOG will be fine, or even kettlebell routines such as PM/ETK)

Cardio an optional extra (depending on taste and a wish for a healthy c-v system).

Flexibility and mobility work NOT an optional extra - just do it!
  • Euroboss
    Euroboss Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @Euroboss. If you don't have anything constructive to say then just keep it to yourself. Throwing out demonstrative comments about people not having the dedication or knowledge is neither helpful nor particular kind of you. You know nothing about the people you're insulting.

A) Dedication isn't my problem
    B) If I had the knowledge, I wouldn't be asking the question now would I?

There are perfectly polite ways to answer questions. Nothing bothers me more then rude people in what is otherwise a great community. Thanks to everyone else, you're advice is much apreciated.

Mate, I assure you I'm being constructive. You know who says 'but I don't want to get bulky?'. People that have never lifted a weight in their life with commitment. Often women say this, again because they often speak from ignorance flowing from dumbass magazines.

Let me tell you something; getting big and putting on lean muscle is HARD. It won't just happen and omg dammit I'm looking like Arnie! Women don't have the testosterone men do and hence can and should lift heavy weights and will just end up looking defined (hot as hell), not body-builder (who are taking testosterone supplements as well as other things).

You just file that one away, next time you hear someone say 'I don't want to get bulky!' pay attention to if they have any idea of what they're talking about. They never do.

Eat right, use your diary here to either eat a deficit if you want to lose MASS (not fat, you'll lose both fat and muscle when you eat a deficit) or eat a surplus when you want to grow. Lift heavy weights either way and do cardio, less cardio and surplus when you want to put on size (muscle and a little fat if you eat really well) and more cardio and deficit when you want to 'cut' or reduce mass (because you'll keep up the weight training and protein input that can minimize the muscle lost and you'll lose mostly bodyfat).

Ok, mate?