Anybody doing NaNoWriMo?

Options
ugottafriend
ugottafriend Posts: 97 Member
I'm participating in National Novel Writing Month in November. Just wondering if anyone else has done it, or plans to this year. I'm going to be writing a collection of short stories, various genres. I have everything from murder mystery to children's adventure planned.

Username is ugottafriend, if you happen to be on nanowrimo.org. :)

Replies

• Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Seventh year doing it, six "wins" under my belt.... this year it is a story about a wrestling fed that I was in and the problems that developed. . . and how it came and went. . . .same name as on here Valqis
  • ugottafriend
    Options
    Awesome, congrats on six wins! That's great! I'm looking for you over there now. Thanks for replying.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I did it twice, but I just don't have time this year.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    im jealous i can barely capitalize or spell my sentences correctly let alone write a novel. impressed.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it! This is my 4th year.

1st year, full time student, got to 40k words
    2nd year, full time student plus new baby - quit in the first week (wonder why :laugh:)
    3rd year, last year, had graduated, and I hit 50k. The novel still isn't finished (neither is the one from year 1) but at least it counts as a win.

I'll have to look up my name there, :tongue: But it would be fun to have more people encouraging each other in it, right?
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Me me me!! This'll be my fourth year and hopefully fourth win! My username is Tanashai (just like here, lol)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to participate for the first time this year, but things have been hectic and I don't have my plot outlined through to the end so it could be a bit of a nightmare :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Someday when I'm not the yearbook adviser and facing the first deadline in mid-November, I am definitely going to do this. I have wanted to for a long time.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it! This is my 4th year.

1st year, full time student, got to 40k words
    2nd year, full time student plus new baby - quit in the first week (wonder why :laugh:)
    3rd year, last year, had graduated, and I hit 50k. The novel still isn't finished (neither is the one from year 1) but at least it counts as a win.

I'll have to look up my name there, :tongue: But it would be fun to have more people encouraging each other in it, right?

OK, looked it up … I am Julz_Rose. Feel free to add me there if you want buddies.
  • ugottafriend
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for all of the replies! My username on nanowrimo.org is the same as here... ugottafriend.

I'll add the folks who said they have accounts! :bigsmile:
  • MimiLovesHorror
    MimiLovesHorror Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey! This will be my third NaNoWriMo! I am actually not a native speaker and not form the US at all, however i fell in love with the concept and the community! This year I am going down the comedy-horror route and I hope i reach the 50k!
  • ugottafriend
    Options
    Hey! This will be my third NaNoWriMo! I am actually not a native speaker and not form the US at all, however i fell in love with the concept and the community! This year I am going down the comedy-horror route and I hope i reach the 50k!

Best of luck!! :)
  • zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    Options
    I'll give it a go for the first time this year. It'll be fun as English is my second language.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'd like to rewrite my finished novel, how does that work?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I have done it before and loved it! However, I didn't find it was conducive to fitness, for me. I naturally gravitate towards sedentary activities and I know that Nano would give me an "excuse" to do just that. I've really had to cut back on gaming for the same reason, but Nano would be even worse as it feels more virtuous.

I'm sure less naturally sedentary people are better getting the balance right. I'm glad I did it and I'm proud of my novel (there was an offer to have it made into a book, so it looks like an ACTUAL novel!). Best of luck to all of you going for it this year!
  • ugottafriend
    Options
    I'll give it a go for the first time this year. It'll be fun as English is my second language.

Hope it goes well for you! Feel free to add me as a buddy.
  • ugottafriend
    Options
    I have done it before and loved it! However, I didn't find it was conducive to fitness, for me. I naturally gravitate towards sedentary activities and I know that Nano would give me an "excuse" to do just that. I've really had to cut back on gaming for the same reason, but Nano would be even worse as it feels more virtuous.

I'm sure less naturally sedentary people are better getting the balance right. I'm glad I did it and I'm proud of my novel (there was an offer to have it made into a book, so it looks like an ACTUAL novel!). Best of luck to all of you going for it this year!

I understand completely! Unfortunately, I'm stuck in a sedentary lifestyle thanks to Muscular Dystrophy, but I'm doing my best to be productive in spite of it. Congrats on publishing a book!
  • ugottafriend
    Options
    I'd like to rewrite my finished novel, how does that work?

I've run into a few people on the site who said they were using NaNoWriMo to rework their previous novels. That would classify you as a "NaNo Rebel", which is what I am too since I am writing a collection of short stories instead of one long one. Supposedly, the same rules and bragging rights apply. The @NaNoWriMo Twitter and Facebook accounts are very good about answering questions like this, if you want input straight from the powers that be. Good luck!
  • ugottafriend
    Options
    I'm hoping to participate for the first time this year, but things have been hectic and I don't have my plot outlined through to the end so it could be a bit of a nightmare :)

My outline isn't complete either. I do have the basics typed out (characters, plot, synopsis, setting, etc) and some additional details, but other than that I am pretty much winging it like most newbies do. Have a great time!
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me happy! I'm participating as well fourth year, hoping to make it my third win! I'm unoffcially trying to ML for my region because the ML is MIA and hasn't posted anything yet!! Geez.

I think I'm going back to fantasy this year. The last two years I wrote adult fiction and actually finished a crime novel, but I think I want to get back to my fantasy roots this year. I avoid it durin nano because I get bogged down with world building, but I think it's time.

My username on nano is morada.granada look me up!!

Ashley