Menu Help?

I'm going out for an early yard xmas dinner in december, and just want to see what all of you would suggest as healthiest/least calorific? i know some may say just go for it and take what i fancy but i want to save that for the real thing!

STARTERS
Celeriac and Bramley apple soup
Smoked Scottish salmon with balsamic beetroot and cauliflower crème fraiche
Crispy goat’s cheese parcel with tomato chutney
Foie gras and confit duck terrine with toasted brioche
Prawn and apple cocktail with brown bread

MAINS
Roasted turkey with all the traditional trimmings
Mignon of pork stuffed with prunes and apricots with potato terrine and mustard sauce
Pan fried Atlantic cod fillets, Grenobloise sauce and mashed potato with prawns
Spinach, oyster mushroom, brie and cranberry wellington
Confit duck with braised cabbage and boulangere potatoes

DESSERTS
Christmas pudding with Brandy cream
Winter pavlova with cinnamon infused apple, cranberries, toasted almonds and caramel syrup
Morello cherry panna cotta
Dark chocolate crème brulée
Cheese board with savoury crackers and festive fruit chutney

Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I'm going out for an early yard xmas dinner in december, and just want to see what all of you would suggest as healthiest/least calorific? i know some may say just go for it and take what i fancy but i want to save that for the real thing!

STARTERS

MAINS
    Mignon of pork stuffed with prunes and apricots with potato terrine and mustard sauce

DESSERTS
    Winter pavlova with cinnamon infused apple, cranberries, toasted almonds and caramel syrup

Get 5 of these: Dark chocolate crème brulée
  • lucyhross
    lucyhross Posts: 87 Member
    haha, ill try and sneak some back home for you!!:laugh: it sounds like a really good menu, still dont know what to choose!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    The menu sounds super. I am jealous. Could you get a dark chocolate crème brulee for me too?

If you watch your serving size, it should all work. Personally I would have the soup, the turkey and follow it with the crème. Yummy :drinker:
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Oh god I want it all.

I think the healthiest starter is the prawns and the healthiest dessert is the panna cotta. All the proteins look about the same to me once you factor in sauces and sides, so just pick what you like and eat moderately.
  • Hey,

Your dinner sounds lovely!!

I'd go for

1. Soup - if not made on a cream sauce. If it's made with a creamy sauce then smoke salmon and cauliflower creme fraiche. A bit lighter.

2. Duck. The others have accompaniments which will be high in fat/cream - this seems likes the best bet! Although the potatoes will still be buttery!

3. Pavlova. Lowest in fat and some fruits in there at least!
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member

2. Duck. The others have accompaniments which will be high in fat/cream - this seems likes the best bet! Although the potatoes will still be buttery!

I wouldn't go for the duck - confit means slow cooked in fat. It's delicious but if you want to keep calories down i'd stay away.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    That sounds delicious! For health, I'd go for the soup or salmon (maybe leaving the creme fraiche, then the cod with the sauce on the side (although I bet it isn't THAT bad) and the pavlova. Or do a huge workout in the morning and eat whatever takes your fancy :wink:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    STARTERS
    Celeriac and Bramley apple soup: probabaly the best choice here, has some fruit and veg in. Easy on the bread rolls if they come with it

Smoked Scottish salmon with balsamic beetroot and cauliflower crème fraiche: hold the creme fraiche, or just have a little of it, the rest is great protein

Crispy goat’s cheese parcel with tomato chutney: What's making the parcle crispy? If it's pastry, i'd leave this one alone.

Foie gras and confit duck terrine with toasted brioche: Very high in fat and calories.

Prawn and apple cocktail with brown bread: is it in a mayo sauce? That's where the calories will be. Prawns and apples lovely thoguh.

MAINS
    Roasted turkey with all the traditional trimmings: Turkey good, depends what the trimmings are. Stuffing - avoid. Sausages and bacon - maybe just one or 2. Roast potaotes - not for me.

Mignon of pork stuffed with prunes and apricots with potato terrine and mustard sauce: The ptoato terrine and mustard sauce would put me off

Pan fried Atlantic cod fillets, Grenobloise sauce and mashed potato with prawns: I usually go for the fish when I'm out, Pan fried will add to the calories, sure, but as long as it's not in batter it wont be too bad. Not sure what the sauce is, and the potaotes will be high calorie, and possibly high fat too if they're made with cream and butter.

Spinach, oyster mushroom, brie and cranberry wellington: Wellington is wrapped in pastry. I'd eat this but I'd leave the pastry, lol!

Confit duck with braised cabbage and boulangere potatoes: Very high fat and calories

DESSERTS
    Christmas pudding with Brandy cream: I love Christmas pud, so this would be my choice. I'd eat half, and not have the cream.

Winter pavlova with cinnamon infused apple, cranberries, toasted almonds and caramel syrup: This is probaby a good choice, as long as there's not too much cream.

Morello cherry panna cotta: It's a dessert, it'll high in cals. Have it if you like, but only eat half.

Dark chocolate crème brulée: See previous comment.

Cheese board with savoury crackers and festive fruit chutney: Depends on what cheese they have on offer!

To summarise - I'd go for the soup or salmon starter, the veggie main course but leave the pastry, and half of one of the desserts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

STARTERS

MAINS

DESSERTS

that is a nice menu!

if i was ordering whatever i wanted i would go:

foie gras, turkey, pavlova

if i was being good:

soup, turkey, pavlova
  • I'm not convinced that the least calorific equates with the healthies,t and heaven only knows what goes into most restaurant prepared food!

I'd select the simplest foods i.e those that have been messed around with the least and I'd steer clear of sugar and refined carbohydrates including bread, brioche, pastry, made up sauces, dessert and crackers..

Without a doubt...

Smoked salmon
    Confit of duck
    Cheese with celery/grapes (not crackers)

Bon appetit!
  • leahshepherd
    leahshepherd Posts: 29 Member
    Yeah definitely NOT confit duck!
  • ...because you're afraid of fat?
  • lucyhross
    lucyhross Posts: 87 Member
    Thanks so much for all the replies, i think i'll go with the soup (perhaps more filling too as liquid based?) and the pav. just stuck with the main. i love fish so i might have the cod, and then only have half of the potatoes, altho im still tempted with the wellington and the duck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

STARTERS

MAINS

DESSERTS

It's a special dinner, enjoy your meal and eat what you want. How many calories are in a dish should have zero to do with why you choose it
  • I'm always surprised that our idea of celebrating frequently goes hand in hand with making ourselves feel poorly/guilty afterwards. Healthy fat (think butter, coconut, olive oil) is not the enemy, sugar is.

Still not convinced? Keep learning. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-michelle-k-nielsen/why-you-shouldnt-eat-sugar_b_4162570.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-diet-and-fitness&fb_source=message