Drinking tea can loose weight?

Options
I heard of that drink tea can loose weight, is it true? I have friend who is slim and no matter how many food she eating, she can not be fat. In addition, she never do some sport, just drink tea! And, The tea is normal tea.

Replies

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    False. Otherwise the whole of Britain would be skinny.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    No.
  • kinkykiddo
    Options
    Maybe your friend has a body type that is difficult to put weight on and happens to drink tea, thinking that is the main reason she's staying a certain weight. While certain teas (not all) have their benefits, they will not keep you thin. Hell, drinking water will not keep you thin if you don't do other things in addition to it.
    But yeah, no. Just no.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options

^^^ bahahaha excellent point!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I wish.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Screw tea! I'm losing weight drinking wine! :P
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The only way in which drinking tea (or any other fluid) can help weight loss is if you haven't been drinking enough. Some people drink less because they know fluid weighs heavy. (I've been told' a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter'). However, this is counterproductive as not drinking enough causes your body to RETAIN fluid. If you want to lose retained fluid you should drink more, not less. Your friend probably just has a lean body type and effective metabolism.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Maybe a study should be done comparing the rise of obesity vs the decline of tea drinking/rise of coffee drinking the the UK....
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking tea in a big way for about 15 years. About 7-10 mugs a day, strong tea with very little milk. I have been fat, I have been thin, I have been strong and I have been not- so- strong. Tea has not helped me lose weight, or gain it. Switching to rich tea or ginger nuts rather than custard creams and bourbon creams has helped me lose weight though. Calories in should not exceed calories expended. That is all.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Screw tea! I'm losing weight drinking wine! :P

Now *thats* my kinda girl!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Calories in should not exceed calories expended. That is all.

/thread
  • fitbulky
    Options
    I heard of that drink tea can loose weight, is it true? I have friend who is slim and no matter how many food she eating, she can not be fat. In addition, she never do some sport, just drink tea! And, The tea is normal tea.

nope....or maybe insignificantly small.I drink 2-3 litres of tea everyday.It has not contributed to my fat loss.Green tea is said to elevate the metabolism but that is probably if you eat in large amounts-pills maybe
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Probably not..... I drink less tea (5 cups per day) than my grandad (15-20 cups per day), and I am losing weight whereas he is not.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Maybe a study should be done comparing the rise of obesity vs the decline of tea drinking/rise of coffee drinking the the UK....

Has tea drinking decreased?

Anyway, the birthrate in the UK is tightly correlated with the number of breeding pairs of storks. So unless babies are brought by the stork, correlation does not always imply causation.

Edit:
    I meant this in a jokey friendly way, but when I read it back it came accross hostile! Sorry! I hate the lack of body language and tone of voice in the internet....
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It does in theory, but not even as close to what is printed.

If it has caffeine it will speed up your metabolism, hence you might burn more calories.

It is not a magic pill drink by any means.

The one and only thing that makes you lose weight and keep it off is eating at a deficit. Period.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    OMG...I am hoping for a post saying her friend eats nothing but pizza and is skinny *crossing my fingers*
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Correlation is not causation. :huh: