Professional piercings?!??

Options
So basically I want to get a piercing.But...I don't want it to be trashy and I need it to be "workplace appropriate"

Because I'm joining college in a few months.Also because I don't want one that will be painful to wear when I workout..and I'm

searching for a job so I'm not sure if that would that be a problem...

Im trying to decide between Monroe or a double helix.

Can anyone tell me if it's painful(how bad is the swelling etc ) and I would love to hear your personal opinion on which one I should get and how you personally consider them or if you would hire someone with either piercing.

Thanks for any advice! :)

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Every place of employment I have worked at does not allow facial piercings, and coming into an interview wearing them, I'm sorry, can mean that you get looked over for the job. Especially if it is front facing to the public.

Consider it wisely, and look at the course of study you plan on taking. It wouldnt work in my field healthcare, but it can work in the artistic field.
  • ManicD0ll
    Options
    Yes,exactly.:1
    I don't want to lose an amazing job because of a piercing.
    So I'm not sure if a Monroe would work for interior design.

Would you consider a double helix (ear piercing) professional?
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Cover it up with a large bandaid until it heals (while at work), they can't ask you to remove a bandage. Wear it when you're not working. I've done it, it worked for me.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    Nobody has ever looked at any piercings on my ear and commented about them in my profession. I work in the legal field x
  • emilile18
    emilile18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I havent had either of these done but I've had my tragus and my nose pierced! I vote you get tragus! I think it looks really good and I work a a vet nurse and even that industry doesn't have a problem! they're quite painful when you get it done but not excruciating and its over so quickly! To be honest, I just thought it was more uncomfortable than anything else! DO IT!! I love piercings and am already planning my next :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I don't think either would effect your job if it's interior design. Usually that field is a little more open to things like that, at least where I am.

I had a monroe at one point. The piercing itself didn't hurt at all, and mine didn't swell. The jewelry was annoying though, and I kept losing it in my sleep somehow. Eventually I just gave up on trying to keep it open.
  • ktno1
    ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about jobs, get something on the ear rather than facial. Get a rook piercing! I love mine :)
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've got one on my tragus, two on each ear lobe, and I want to get a couple on the helix at some point in the future as well :)

I think anything not too drastic on the ear should be fine. It's generally the most accepted position for piercings, and tragus and helix piercings have become pretty normal for years now. Also, if you've got longer hair it will be covered most of the time as well.

I wouldn't do anything in the face without checking with employers though (well, in my case it really doesn't matter since I work in research and the dress code here seems to be "whatever, go crazy, as long as you can incorporate shorts and hiking boots".)

One important(ish) point: if you do get something on the ear, check how you hold your phone (especially when writing down stuff with a pen and squeezing it between your ear and shoulder) - I'm right-handed, got my tragus piercing on the left, and I keep hanging up with my piercing when I squeeze the phone between my left shoulder to write stuff down. DUH. :laugh:
  • MYRABUTLER89
    Options
    I LOVED my eyebrow peircing lol. The monroe hurt...but Its because the woman that did it put a small bar in. My lip was sooo swollen and I went 2 hours away so another prifessional could take it out. It sucked.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I have a monroe didn't hurt, swelled a little nothing too bad.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    [...]Im trying to decide between Monroe or a double helix.[...]

I dont even know what those are....I feel so old :cry:
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about jobs, get something on the ear rather than facial. Get a rook piercing! I love mine :)

Definitely the rook piercing! I have mine done on both sides. They're very subtle and look great but not standing right out at you like a Monroe. They also heal really well since they're protected where they are on your ear. I wouldn't consider anything on your face to be professional and I wouldn't go the band-aid route. That just looks bad.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you want a job, you won't get a piercing. All lip piercings hurt. All piercings hurt. Personal Experience: 22 Piercings.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have what you would call a Monroe piercing and aside from slight sharp pain at the point of piercing, it was fine. A tiny bit of swelling but no real concerns.

I am a manager in the social care sector and have never had any professional issues with regards to my facial piercing and certainly wouldn't rule someone out for working for me if they had one.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    If you are worried about if it will be accepted in a job go for anything on the ear, or a tongue or septum piercing as both can easily be hidden (I wore my septum piercing tucked up for about 6 months)
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have a monroe, nose piercing, and industrial bar. I work for a Dermatologist's office where I work in the Corporate location. I don't wear my monroe or my nose piercing while I'm here (personal preference for the field I'm in, not because I HAVE to take them out), but I've gotten multiple compliments on my industrial!

Monroe didn't hurt even a little bit. Mine did swell for like a day at most, but after that it was fine. My nose HURT. But surprisingly, my industrial didn't hurt all that much. It might be because I was 12 when I got my nose pierced, but was 19 when I got my industrial ~ maybe my pain tolerance has gotten better along the years. :tongue:

I think all the options are cute & not 'too much'! I have worked in a pharmacy with both my monroe and my nose piercing in at all times.

It all depends on the attitude of your employer. No matter what, I always covered my tattoos and took out my piercings (or wore clear ones) for an interview. After they hired me, I put them all back in until they said something ~ which they never have. :bigsmile:

You can have piercings AND a job. You just have to find an open-minded employer, my dear!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I work at a craft store and I have snakebite piercings, and a mowhawk. I'm not a fan of monroe piercings, but it's not my face, so it's really your choice. When I got my snakebites(I also had my labret pierced, but it got annoying so I took it out), my lower lip swelled up, but aspirin and cold compresses made the swelling go down in 2 days. I didn't feel too much pain because I took a breath before the needle went in and then exhaled as it went in. I saw it on a TV show on piercings.

I also didn't get it done professionally.....
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the least "trashy" facial piercing you could get would be your nose. It's sublte, cute, and looks good on everyone.

The only place I ever had an issue with the nose piecing was when I worked at Subway because it could "fall into the food". Note: if it ever actually did fall into the food, it would have been terrible infected and I would have taken it out anyways :grumble: I currently work in the federal government (in Canada) and have only gotten compliments on the visible piercings and tattoos I have.

All piercings hurt (I've only had my nose done on my face, but I've gotten my bellybutton, VCH, and the beginnings of an orbital in my upper ear done, along with your regular ear piercings) but it really depends on your pain tolerance I find. Nothing hurts so much that you want to die, if that helps :laugh: