Your more filling low calorie meals?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I need more ideas... Typically I have grilled chicken breast and veggies or the Trader Joe's shrimp stir fry, for less than 200 calories, but I'm getting bored with them... There's eggs and peppers too but I had that this morning.

Suggestions? I was up way too early and had already eaten more than 1/3 of my calories by 6.30am because I was starving.

Replies

• amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    bump
  • drdeeder
    drdeeder Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the exact science behind it, but a teaspoonful of cinnamon daily is supposed to regulate blood sugar and therefore make you feel less hungry--it's worked for me. I usually have 6 oz greek yogurt (sometimes plain, sometimes fake sugar) that is about 80 cal, with spoonful of cinnamon, 1 Tbsp of wheat germ, and 1/4 cup of Kashi go lean cereal--usually is 160-180 cal, and I'm not hungry again til lunch, and even then, I'm not really hungry all day. Maybe that will help. Congratulations on your progress!
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    How about incorporating beans or lentils into your menu? They are very filling, packed with protein and fiber, and help keep us feeling satisfied longer into the day. You could make a bean and veggie burrito for lunch and that would help keep the hungries at bay. Soups made with beans are a good, low-cal option, too. I made White Bean and Fennel soup the other day and that was less than 200 calories for TWO CUPS, with 8 grams of fiber. I don't remember how much protein was in it. You can find that recipe on allrecipes.com. Just search the title. Good luck to you!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the exact science behind it, but a teaspoonful of cinnamon daily is supposed to regulate blood sugar and therefore make you feel less hungry--it's worked for me. I usually have 6 oz greek yogurt (sometimes plain, sometimes fake sugar) that is about 80 cal, with spoonful of cinnamon, 1 Tbsp of wheat germ, and 1/4 cup of Kashi go lean cereal--usually is 160-180 cal, and I'm not hungry again til lunch, and even then, I'm not really hungry all day. Maybe that will help. Congratulations on your progress!

Not sure about cinnamon, but Greek yoghurt is really high in protein so is known to keep you full for ages, and protein regulates your blood sugar.

I love soups with meat in. 1 chicken breast for 2 litres of soup goes a long way when combined with some potatoes to thicken it. 500 ml soup, 165 calories. Feel fuller than 300 calorie salad.
  • XLombardX
    XLombardX Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My more filling low cal meals would be:
    home made veg soup (80 cals)
    Cheddar cheese, beef salami and rice cakes (120 cals)
    Home made chilli con carne without rice or other carby side (200 cals)
    Home made Indian or Thai curries without rice (beef, veg or chicken) (200 cals)
    Steak (180 cals)
    Guacamole/hummus with veg sticks to dip (150 cals)
    Salad with French dressing and cheese (150 cals)

I usually have a delicious chocolate-flavoured protein bar for breakfast (316 cals), which satisfies my sugar and carb cravings and keeps me full for a few hours. I often eat it in two goes over about six hours. I also find that high fat meals keep me fuller for longer. I hope that helps!
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I just had rocket (arugula) and 180g cooked king prawns with super spicy chilli sauce for my lunch - going low calorie to save up for a big meal tonight and some wine (don't judge me! :wink: ) - and that's really filled me up. I presume that's thanks to all the protein and also the taste of the sauce stops me wanting to snack for a decent time afterwards :smile:
  • Francl27
    Options
    I wish Greek yogurt and cinnamon worked that way for me, lol!

Thanks for all the ideas so far.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and salsa.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Pork chops, salmon, and chicken breast. Not altogether, of course, but these fill me up the most for the fewest calories. Throw in a spinach and arugula salad, and you've got yourself a restaurant-quality meal.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Pork chops, salmon, and chicken breast. Not altogether, of course, but these fill me up the most for the fewest calories. Throw in a spinach and arugula salad, and you've got yourself a restaurant-quality meal.

Yeah, what I typically do, but then you have to add the dressing in the salad, lol. I think I'll go for chicken breast again and carrots...
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Regarding salads and high calorie dressings, I've used salsa for dressing on my salads and that gives them a different kind of taste altogether. Right now I'm enjoying Ken's spray dressing, which is approximately 2 calories per spray. There are several flavors and it is quite tasty. I can enjoy a large salad with lettuce, cucumber, celery, tomatoes, green onions, and dressing, all for at or under 50 calories. I use a postal scale to measure and record my food as accurately as possible.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Big handful of spinach, can of tuna (or half a can if you're less hungry), chopped tomatoes, 1/2 T hummus, 1/2 T feta cheese. Mix and eat!
  • lynnkieu
    lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like Vietnamese food and something that has helped me is replacing rice noodles (400 cal/ serving) with JFC shiritaki yam noodles (ZERO calories). So I might make pho and replace the noodles or fresh spring rolls. I'm thinking about trying it with pad thai soon.
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash! You can eat a ton of it for very few calories! I usually bake it and then eat 1 1/2 cups with 1/2 cup pasta sauce and 1/4 cup cottage cheese...yum!
  • RaineBacon
    Options
    This is my favorite go to meal. I eat it with mixed salad greens and I find it very satisfying. I make a batch up on Sunday and then I have a quick, easy, satisfying option all week :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Some things that work for me - Protein will help you feel fuller, so meats, eggs, etc. Complex carbs (whole grains, sweet potato/yams) will be more filling than simple carbs (processed sugars, flours). Eggs over easy over rice is quite filling. I make a millet porridge that is very filling. However, the coconut milk and sugar I add to them add a lot of calories. Millet with some veggies would be lower calorie and very filling.

Some days I can get up, have a bit of coffee or tea, and make it to lunch without getting too hungry. Skipping breakfast (zero calories!) is a good way to stretch your calorie allotment. A snack of raw bell pepper is a good one for me, too. Low calories, filling for a bit.

Robert
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Homemade soups with more veggies and meat than 'juice'. My favorite is vegetable beef.
    Overnight refrigerator oats. I use old fashioned (not quick-cooking oats), greek yogurt, fruit and skim milk. Skinnytaste has several recipes for it.
    Skinnytaste.com also has a LOT of other lower cal and high protein meals. I love that site. They take 'regular' meals and reduce the calories by using fat free stuff, reduced fat sour cream, skim milk, turkey, etc. Yesterday I made the sweet potato shepherds pie and its delicious.
    Hummus isn't really low cal but its filling and is full of nutrition.
    Add nuts and lean meat to salads.
    Eggs. I eat just the whites to save on calories. 17 vs. 70 for one large.
    Healthy Life 35 calorie per slice whole wheat bread! It tastes good and is filling. Make a sandwich with roasted chicken/turkey, add 1 1/2 cups of raw veggies with some hummus and you have a filling, tasty meal.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Have a baked sweet potato rather than a baked jacked potato - I found I could have two with my can of tuna and little mayo for less than one regular potato (and the same topping), and they really filled me up!

Use a more strongly flavoured salad - like rocket and watercress - and you won't ned dressing, or just add a little lemon juice.

My go-to is an omlette (whole eggs - none of that whites-only rubbish!) with a red pepper, onion, peas, thyme and a little feta, all with a side of rocket leaves. Yummy.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot with lean protein and veggies! Try experimenting with different herbs and spices. Here are my favorite combos:

Grilled lemon pepper chicken breast with grilled rosemary zucchini

Grilled sirlion steak with homemade light chimichurri sauce (google "light chimichurri recipe and you'll find something!) and a side salad with EVOO and balsamic vinegar.

Grilled teriyaki salmon (marinate it in low-sodium teriyaki sauce) with 1/4cup jasmine rice

Last night I made oven-fried chicken tenderloins made with whole wheat Italian bread crumbs and parm cheese, some marinara for dipping, and a side of steamed broccoli with salt and pepper.

Also, if you like butternut squash, I make a killer butternut squash soup! It's only about 225 cals for a huge bowl of it and it's so rich and fills me up. Let me know if you want the recipe!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Broth based soups are extremely low calorie.
    Spaghetti squash - So delicious and weirdly filling. I often have to work to meet my calorie goal on days I eat this for dinner.
    Most fish is very low calorie.
    Dress your salad with an oil free dressing to lower calories.
    Use low calorie, high fiber wraps to make a huge sandwich for around 300 calories (big handful of leafy greens, protein (lean meat, canned tuna, beans) and chopped crunchy vegetables. Dress with mustard and/or light vinaigrette.