CROSSFIT- brag about it!

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I have lots of friends who are into some form of fitness. They have the ability to talk about other things and never start preaching that Thai boxing is the ONLY way to live and telling me they kicked the crap out of 3 guys yesterday for a PR. The runners don't go on and on about PR's or the fab new gu chew they ate. The cyclist don't spend an hour extolling the virtue of the new tire they got. They have, like you know, a life!

Only crossfitters will talk about crossfit ad nauseum until you have to fake an illness to get away from them while they're yelling at you that if you just went Paleo you wouldn't be sick.

I'm not- and I talk about my workout stuff all the time- only difference is I talk to like minded people. Like any normal functioning adult shoudl do- not just vomit it all over everything.

Yes it's exciting- and for a lot of these people- this is the first time they felt like they BELONGED- felt like working out had a purpose- something they could be truly proud of- so yes they are willing to share- and soon they will learn (hopefully) to keep the over share to just people who care. I don't spend hours talking about dance to my lifting partner- he could care less.

And I don't spend hours talking about my DL PR to my dance buddies.

All is a time and a place- but if you are passionate about something- it spills out- and it's what you focus on constantly. That's not a bad thing- and LOTS of people do that. Not just crossfitters.
  • pebblesbuddy
    pebblesbuddy Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I have lots of friends who are into some form of fitness. They have the ability to talk about other things and never start preaching that Thai boxing is the ONLY way to live and telling me they kicked the crap out of 3 guys yesterday for a PR. The runners don't go on and on about PR's or the fab new gu chew they ate. The cyclist don't spend an hour extolling the virtue of the new tire they got. They have, like you know, a life!

Only crossfitters will talk about crossfit ad nauseum until you have to fake an illness to get away from them while they're yelling at you that if you just went Paleo you wouldn't be sick.

I'm not- and I talk about my workout stuff all the time- only difference is I talk to like minded people. Like any normal functioning adult shoudl do- not just vomit it all over everything.

Yes it's exciting- and for a lot of these people- this is the first time they felt like they BELONGED- felt like working out had a purpose- something they could be truly proud of- so yes they are willing to share- and soon they will learn (hopefully) to keep the over share to just people who care. I don't spend hours talking about dance to my lifting partner- he could care less.

All is a time and a place- but if you are passionate about something- it spills out- and it's what you focus on constantly. That's not a bad thing- and LOTS of people do that. Not just crossfitters.

Amen!
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    bacon
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    bacon

^^^Love it! :laugh:

But seriously, I would LOVE to try Crossfit. I'm scared to death tho! There was a big-*kitten* tire laying out by a track I run at - tried to lift it and couldn't even budge it! Then a baby bunny that thought it was a fine resting place ran out from inside of it and nearly gave me a heart attack.... Hmmmm - may not have the stuff it takes! And then there is bacon....
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

I don't mind at all if 2 like minded people want to talk for hours about their favorite fitness activity. Have at it. Just seems crossfitters become rabid about the whole thing and have to get everyone else to see the light. One couple are so into it that they tag team at parties. It's gotten so no one invites them anymore but that's probably alright because they're most likely at home seeing who can score a PR in cat tossing or something.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bacon
    tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    One couple are so into it that they tag team at parties. It's gotten so no one invites them anymore but that's probably alright because they're most likely at home seeing who can score a PR in cat tossing or something.

lmao
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N512uiIw71g

Just make sure you wrap up when you do your OHS next time.
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    I wrap my wrists...but not to the bar, lol. that's silly. I've never seen anyone other than olympic lifters do that
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't mind at all if 2 like minded people want to talk for hours about their favorite fitness activity. Have at it. Just seems crossfitters become rabid about the whole thing and have to get everyone else to see the light. One couple are so into it that they tag team at parties. It's gotten so no one invites them anymore but that's probably alright because they're most likely at home seeing who can score a PR in cat tossing or something.

LOL

sure why not!!!

no I understand- it's hard when you make a your life. I have a hard time NOT talking about dancing- because it's my life. I live breath sleep working out and dance.

So it's REALLY hard to not talk about it- but I found I also don't have much of an outside life- I dont' have to shift gears with current friends- everyone I know- knows that I dance- and workout- and some of them can tolerate it- and some can't- I try really really hard to not spew it everywhere- but I can't chime in on kids and PTA meetings- because it's not my thing.

Again- there is a time and place- and you hvae to know your audience or just STFU. LOL

I wrap my wrists...but not to the bar, lol. that's silly. I've never seen anyone other than olympic lifters do that
    after watching a guy snap both his wrists- I'd never EVER wrap for OH anything. nope- no thanks. LOL
  • maciasm1098
    Options
    When I started Crossfit I was 6 foot 3 150lbs, so far I have put on 10lbs
    I started doing it in August of this year and so far these are my best results (pretty much every workout I get a PR):
    I went from never working out to 6 days a week.
    Squat went from 135 to 190lbs
    Power Clean from 125 to 175lbs
    Deadlift from 245 to 305lbs
    From not being able to do one double under to doing 50-100 unbroken
    From 5 strict pull ups to doing 20 or more sometimes.
  • jsahler2
    jsahler2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit! I love it because I have trouble motivating myself to work out, period, let alone pushing myself at a high intensity unless I'm in a group setting. Also, I'm in the best shape of my life :) I've been doing it for about a year. I don't eat paleo...it's not for me. In fact a LOT of people of my gym don't. People need to try different things and figure out what works best for their body to make them the healthiest person they can be! ...including crossfit. The workouts aren't perfect for everyone but I have found they are for me.
    Also, non-crossfitters brag about running/etc a lot on my facebook newsfeed...so that's not unique to crossfit. I think it's a good thing when someone is proud a reaching a new goal! I always support any type of exercise. And categorizing the bazillion people that do crossfit into one category is just funny. I just laugh at all the crossfit jokes because some have some truth, but that's not stopping me. Did anyone see the Tosh.O clip on exercise/crossfit. He's absurd! the video is quite disturbing, but had some funny moments.
    Lastly, I'm getting pumped for the Barbells for Boobs workout our gym is doing this Sunday. As of now, our gym has raised over $37,000 for this breast cancer organization. It's quite amazing!! That's what the crossfit community is all about! Support and good health!
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    amazing progress!!
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    I do crossfit! I love it because I have trouble motivating myself to work out, period, let alone pushing myself at a high intensity unless I'm in a group setting. Also, I'm in the best shape of my life :) I've been doing it for about a year. I don't eat paleo...it's not for me. In fact a LOT of people of my gym don't. People need to try different things and figure out what works best for their body to make them the healthiest person they can be! ...including crossfit. The workouts aren't perfect for everyone but I have found they are for me.
    Also, non-crossfitters brag about running/etc a lot on my facebook newsfeed...so that's not unique to crossfit. I think it's a good thing when someone is proud a reaching a new goal! I always support any type of exercise. And categorizing the bazillion people that do crossfit into one category is just funny. I just laugh at all the crossfit jokes because some have some truth, but that's not stopping me. Did anyone see the Tosh.O clip on exercise/crossfit. He's absurd! the video is quite disturbing, but had some funny moments.
    Lastly, I'm getting pumped for the Barbells for Boobs workout our gym is doing this Sunday. As of now, our gym has raised over $37,000 for this breast cancer organization. It's quite amazing!! That's what the crossfit community is all about! Support and good health!
    omg 37k!! is the pink bra tour coming to do the event?? they came to ours 2 weeks ago and it was AMAZING and very inspiring! Have a blast!
  • jsahler2
    Options
    Yes! We are their last stop on the tour. They're coming sunday. I'm doing the WOD Rx with a partner. I can't wait! Those are heavy lifts for me but I've been working hard and I think we can finish alright :)
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

I don't think this is the result of crossfit. I think it is the result of a complete lack of social skills and would probably be the same whatever workout they chose.
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I did crossfit for a little over a year. Loved it. Got too expensive and it wasn't my primary workout. Used it to supplement grappling. Had to make a choice lift heavy things or choke people and break limbs. I like choking people and trying to break limbs because it's functional ;-) I do miss crossfit though :)
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    Yes! We are their last stop on the tour. They're coming sunday. I'm doing the WOD Rx with a partner. I can't wait! Those are heavy lifts for me but I've been working hard and I think we can finish alright :)

I've never seen grace done as a partner wod, how does it work? its going to be so fun...they're going to take pics and a video...post it when they do!
  • jsahler2
    Options
    For both we can split up however we want, but there's a minimum # of reps and runs we each have to do. For Grace, I think our strategy will be to do 10 sets of 3...each of us will do 5 alternating sets.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I don't hate on crossfit, I hate on crossfitters. It's like some kind of cult. I've had to just walk away from people who go on and on about PR's and lifts and jumps and usually how switching to a Paleo diet has just improved their whole life. It gets nauseating and if they do stop talking about themselves long enough to ask about what I do it's usually met with eye rolling and sighing because I don't have any PR's to talk about. That's why people hate on crossfit.

How is that any different than the people who answer every question with "you need to lift heavy" or bring up the squat rack randomly in every conversation? People like to talk about what they do. It happens. It's probably always slightly annoying to people who aren't as in to whatever thing those people are talking about. Cope.

Amen! I am a runner and thats all I ever want to talk about. LOL. So many of my friends have had to turn off my feed on FB as its all running or my dog. Oh well! Tonight I am running to the marathon expo to pick up my bib!

I have lots of runner friends that understand and I am sure if I become a cross fitter I will be just as annoying as I am now and have to make new cross fit friends. :laugh: I am OK with taking that risk if I love it.