Which activity monitoring device is best with myfitnesspal?

Options
Hi,

I'm guessing this has been posed already, but I cannot find it. I've been using myfitnesspal for a few weeks and it's working great! I'm also working out quite a bit and find it difficult to put some workouts into myfitnesspal. I'm wondering if a monitoring device that works along with myfitnesspal would be helpful. And if so, which one? I've looked at the units by BodyMedia (Wireless LINK Armband), the Scosche RHYTHM Armband Pulse Monitor), and even the FitBit Force.

Do they work? Are they helpful? Will they help make my tracking easier and more accurate? Which is the best? From a form factor standpoint, the FitBit seems the best, but that doesn't make it the best.

My workouts vary greatly. I work out with a trainer twice a week and the workouts vary greatly day-to-day. On other days I'll mountain bike, do the treadmill, AMT machine, skiing, swimming, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sincerely,
Gary

Replies

• Vicki66C
    Vicki66C Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've used both fitbit and Body Media link and prefer Body Media for better accuracy.
  • garyw5687
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that the bodymedia is not very accurate for things like cycling. It calculates it's data from movement and perspiration. So if it is on your arm it will not get much movement for cycling.

I think the fitbit is great for general steps. I think it is pretty good for calories but not awesome.

For good calorie accuracy you really need a heart rate monitor (HRM).

Polar FT4 or FT7 are really good or even the basic model FT1 (about $45 on amazon will work).

The do require a chest strap but are very accurate.

There is a newer brand out.. that 2 friends of my have and have been using for about 3 months now (former FT4 & FT7 users) and have compared it to the FT's for accuracy.. I have mine on order but have not personally used it.

The Mio Alpha Optical Heart Rate Monitor (no chest strap needed),, just a watch type device that works with a light.

Here is a review

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/02/monitor-bluetooth-smartant.html

Going to run you about $200

They liked their Ft's but as women they found the straps were beginning to rub a bit over time. Some folks don't have that issue.

So I still use my fitbit daily but a HRM for my workouts.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You did not mention this option but I use a heart rate monitor for when I am exercising and like it a lot. Good luck on whatever you choose.
  • garyw5687
    Options
    How do you record data from a HRM into myfitnesspal? Does it give you calories burned or something else?

Thanks again,
    Gary