Help me find an exercise routine for my busy schedule!

Options
So, no excuses but I'm having some trouble finding time to exercise and I don't know what I'm doing when I do. I'm a full time college student with a commute thats over an hour each way. I also work part-time. When I'm home in the evenings I'm buried in assignments. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I have to rush straight from work to school and I dont have time to eat Until after 7pm. I tried waking up a couple hours early to go to the gym but my body said no way.. I stay up late on my assignments. Oh, and next semester I have 17 credit hours so even less time.

What are some ways I can fit exercise into my day?
Should I do cardio or should I lift?
I'll probably need to cancel my gym membership because I have no time to go! It would make more sense to work out at home.
I'm trying hard to start eating clean, so what exercises are best for weight loss and health?
I don't know what kind of exercises to do, or how to do them either. I'm a mess. Could use a personal trainer! Geeze.

Thanks for any advice!!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What do you have on Tuesday and Thursday? Weekends? If you are too busy MWF, then workout the other days. Look up HIIT - get your workouts in 20 min. You don't need to wake up hours early to go to the gym like you said. Get up 30 min earlier and go.
  • allyelizabeth9
    Options
    Tuesday and Thursdays are more of the same. Busy. I am free on the weekends but usually playing catch up and doing housework.

I'll look into the HIIT. Are there any videos that would show an example workout? Trust me when I say I don't know what I'm doing!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    7 minute workout has an app.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Tuesday and Thursdays are more of the same. Busy. I am free on the weekends but usually playing catch up and doing housework.

I'll look into the HIIT. Are there any videos that would show an example workout? Trust me when I say I don't know what I'm doing!

Honestly, if you want to workout, you will find time. I get up at 6am and get it done - not my favorite, but it's what I have to do for my schedule.

You tube has a ton of HIIT videos. Look through them and find one you like that you will stick with. Get a jump rope and do that while you are watching tv, do pushups, run for 10 min. You can do 3 - 10 min workouts throughout the day when you find time. It can be done.
  • allyelizabeth9
    Options
    Is cardio, such as running or elliptical really necessary also? Is lifting better? If I plan a longer routine on the weekend should I try to focus on cardio or strength training?
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Start doing ladders when you can fit them in.

1. Pick two exercises that you can alternate (ex: mountain climbers and jump squats; push ups and jumping jacks; burpees and split squats)
    2. Start with 10 reps of the first one, then move to 10 reps of the second (i.e. 10 push ups and then 10 jumping jacks)
    3. Repeat going down one rep until you get to 1. (i.e. 9 pushups, 9 jumping jacks, 8 pushups, 8 jumping jacks, etc.)
    4. If you're really ambitious, now go back up (1 pushup, 1 jumping jack, 2 pushups, 2 jumping jacks, etc.)

Its a short, intense type of workout you should be able to pull off in 10 minutes or less.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Got 28 minutes? Start with Jillian Micheals 30 day shred. Love it.
  • allyelizabeth9
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Ill look into these quick exercise routines. I guess I just never really believed that working out for 10 minutes would actually do anything but I'll give it a go.
  • mnapier3
    Options
    I'd say look into HIIT and plyometrics!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Start doing ladders when you can fit them in.

1. Pick two exercises that you can alternate (ex: mountain climbers and jump squats; push ups and jumping jacks; burpees and split squats)
    2. Start with 10 reps of the first one, then move to 10 reps of the second (i.e. 10 push ups and then 10 jumping jacks)
    3. Repeat going down one rep until you get to 1. (i.e. 9 pushups, 9 jumping jacks, 8 pushups, 8 jumping jacks, etc.)
    4. If you're really ambitious, now go back up (1 pushup, 1 jumping jack, 2 pushups, 2 jumping jacks, etc.)

Its a short, intense type of workout you should be able to pull off in 10 minutes or less.

I'm on board with this answer. This sounds very similar to PT when I was in basic training. Everyone in my flight could barely move the next day.

Can you say pyramid pushups? Ick...