Weight Loss Stuck - 1200 Cal Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    "I'm not losing weight, am I in Starvation Mode™?"

No. You know when you're in starvation mode when you can count your ribs in the back and in the front, and you look like an extra from The Walking Dead.

If you're not losing weight, your math is off somewhere.
  • RippedMisha
    Options
    Weight loss requires 1 thing: a calorie deficit (ie. burning more than you eat). There are 2 factors that control that deficit: eating calories and burning calories. In order to achieve SUSTAINABLE weight loss, you have to adjust BOTH factors.

If all you do is reduce your calorie intake, your weight loss will only be temporary unless you intend to keep that low calorie diet for the rest of your life. And that's not healthy. Your body needs nutrients. Don't consume less than 1500 calories a day. That's called starvation.

You need to get active. It gets your metabolism up and burns the calories that you consume. You have to make sure that you're eating enough to get the nutrients that your body needs to function properly. Regular exercise is what will help you continue losing weight and will also help you keep it off.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    At 6'3 and 230 some pounds I'm guessing you are male? Even if you are female, there is no way you should be eating 1200-1300 calories a day at that size. You need to at least hit your BMR and preferably more. Are you lightheaded/dizzy? No energy?

Find your TDEE and eat 500 under that. You'll feel better and you'll still lose weight.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Weight loss requires 1 thing: a calorie deficit (ie. burning more than you eat). There are 2 factors that control that deficit: eating calories and burning calories. In order to achieve SUSTAINABLE weight loss, you have to adjust BOTH factors.

If all you do is reduce your calorie intake, your weight loss will only be temporary unless you intend to keep that low calorie diet for the rest of your life. And that's not healthy. Your body needs nutrients. Don't consume less than 1500 calories a day. That's called starvation.

You need to get active. It gets your metabolism up and burns the calories that you consume. You have to make sure that you're eating enough to get the nutrients that your body needs to function properly. Regular exercise is what will help you continue losing weight and will also help you keep it off.

False. You can lose weight without exercise. How do I know? I'm doing it. :drinker:

And you don't have to eat a "low calorie" diet for the rest of your life. Because if you do that, you continue to lose weight, because math. No, when a non-exerciser is at her goal weight, she then transitions to maintenance calories, i.e., eating the same number of calories she expends. Again, just math. :bigsmile:

Each person is different. Some people don't like to exercise. Personally, I'd rather cut calories than exercise just so I can eat more. And being ripped and toned is not a look I find appealing either, I'd rather keep a little softness to my contours, but maybe that's a girl thing. :smokin:
  • k2max67
    k2max67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the response.:smile: I also have a query regarding cardio. Does the resistance level on the stationary bike/elliptical matter as long as i am at my target heart rate? I am exercising at resistance 1 but i am fast enough to keep my heart rate in the zone.I do it for 30-40 min. And any other tips to get off the plateau?
    Most important question: are you using a food scale?
    guessing weight of things and actually weighing things is often a big difference, you could be eating far more than you think.

You can start weight training now (I would recommend that actually)

Your bmr is 2100??? try scoobysworkshop.com

Yup. Although guessing weight of things was coming off pretty accurate earlier but i have ordered a food scale now. Will start weight training shortly. scoobysworkshop.com seems like a great site.Thanks:smile:
    Just to echo the chorus ... you are waaaaayyyy undereating. Yes, you've lost weight, but at that calorie load you've probably lost muscle mass as well. When the body is starved for calories it eats available protein, i.e. our own muscles.

Up your calories to at least about 1500, and probably 1800 given your height(I am 6' 4" and I eat 2000). And start some light muscle building routines.

I have upped my calories to 1500 and started with cardio,eating back the calories as well. Will start strength training in a week or so.

At 6'3 and 230 some pounds I'm guessing you are male? Even if you are female, there is no way you should be eating 1200-1300 calories a day at that size. You need to at least hit your BMR and preferably more. Are you lightheaded/dizzy? No energy?

Find your TDEE and eat 500 under that. You'll feel better and you'll still lose weight.

MFP puts me at 1510 cals/day. Infact since i started dieting i am energetic and don't feel anything like these. I have started cycling 30-40 mins a day since i have a stationary bike and eating back the calories burnt.

False. You can lose weight without exercise. How do I know? I'm doing it. :drinker:

And you don't have to eat a "low calorie" diet for the rest of your life. Because if you do that, you continue to lose weight, because math. No, when a non-exerciser is at her goal weight, she then transitions to maintenance calories, i.e., eating the same number of calories she expends. Again, just math. :bigsmile:

Each person is different. Some people don't like to exercise. Personally, I'd rather cut calories than exercise just so I can eat more. And being ripped and toned is not a look I find appealing either, I'd rather keep a little softness to my contours, but maybe that's a girl thing. :smokin:

I agree with you. I have lost 12 kgs without any exercise or feeling unhealthy. I was 119 kgs in June end and am 107 now since the past one month.Hit a plateau i guess.I have started with 30-40 mins of cardio daily to up my metabolism and maybe it would break me off the plateau.
  • fashionosack
    Options
    Nutrition weight loss on the premise that ensure health and safety, based on balanced nutrition through supplementary elements to achieve the purpose of burning fat, lose weight while adjusting our sub-health and improve our health, to repair our damaged tissues and organs, to achieve a beautiful slim body.
  • croftsylvia
    croftsylvia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well after 2 weeks on SW I have lost 5lbs!!!!!.
  • DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    you would have to be really creative and careful food wise to get enough nutrition at 1000 calories. Better to tell you that you need at least 30 minutes of exercise a day minimum and good job on what you have done so far.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Dont have much to say
    but
    guys with our height and structure need to eat a lot.

1200 is not encouraged for girls here so being a 6' above guy that seems very wrong to me.
  • cfsccsmith
    Options
    I find I have trouble losing unless I get a significant amount of exercise. I am 64 & was 260 when I started trying to lose. My metabolism seems to slow each year. I shoot for 1.5 hrs a day- don't always make that but usually get an hour in. If the weather is good, I bike to work (about 22 minutes 1 way) and then walk briskly and/or jog slowly 30 minutes before work. Then on my 2 15 minute breaks, I walk briskly. I am pretty sure the exercise revs up my metabolism & even improves my mood (no longer on antidepressants). I usually est out with friends weekly and am still losing weight even when eating some mighty tasty and not low cal restaurant foods! Good luck!