Best Meal Replacement Shake and Bars

Options
I'm looking into meal replacement shakes and bars for those days I need something quick. Any recommendations?

Replies

• leannel1
    Options
    hi, i thought i was being good by having a meal replacement shake, but when i logged it, it had loads of sugar in it, almost my days allowance! that will teach me for not reading the nutritional information, i suppose you dont expect a meal replacement from the weight loss section of a supermarket to be full of sugar, so my advice is look at the labels and be careful what you choose! x
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Whatever you think taste good and meets your nutritional needs. I am a huge fan of the cliff builder bars. And I drink muscle milk, GNC ON, Designer Whey, Body Fotress, etc..
  • psuLemon
    Options
    hi, i thought i was being good by having a meal replacement shake, but when i logged it, it had loads of sugar in it, almost my days allowance! that will teach me for not reading the nutritional information, i suppose you dont expect a meal replacement from the weight loss section of a supermarket to be full of sugar, so my advice is look at the labels and be careful what you choose! x

There is nothing wrong with eating sugar. Sugar is processed as a carb. It's all about calories when it comes to weight loss.
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    Ok, so apart from the person who is obviously just out to sell something....

Steer clear of the diet aisle or the breakfast aisle if you want the best bang for your buck. I love the brands Pure Protein (bars and prepared shakes) and UMP by Beverly International (powder to make your own shakes). They have very low carbs and a lot of protein for fairly low calories. I find Pure Protein in the organic/health food aisle and UMP is sold at gyms or online.

I do agree with the salesman above that there is a lot of crap out there, and I generally hate processed foods (I'm a chef). But life happens and I totally use protein bars and shakes sometimes.

ETA: Wow, they deleted the salesman quick! lol!
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I actually like the Atkns bars, even though I'm not doing Atkins. They taste good, and are very filling plus low carb and I do try for lower carb.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Whatever you think taste good and meets your nutritional needs. I am a huge fan of the cliff builder bars. And I drink muscle milk, GNC ON, Designer Whey, Body Fotress, etc..

Muscle Milk, ON, Designer Whey, etc aren't MRP shakes. They're protein supplements.
  • Runningcircuits
    Options

Muscle Milk, ON, Designer Whey, etc aren't MRP shakes. They're protein supplements.

Very true, along with both I mentioned. And I agree that they aren't enough to replace a meal, but if I pair it with something small, I can get by thanks to the added protein.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the Pure Protein. They are delicious and for the calories in them you get a lot of protein and not tons of sugar/carbs. I love Luna bars but they don't have as much protein and have a lot of carbs. Let me clarify that carbs are not the devil but when I'm looking at bars the least calories, highes protein, lowest carbs and fat is what I want. However, the Pure Protein does have slightly higher fat but I think it's sooooo dang good. They just came out with a peanut butter chocolate one. In my opinion they are the best taste and texture for a bar that you can get. THey are one of the only ones I honestly enjoy eating. I eat them way too often :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Most of those are protein powders. I'm not sure if there really is such thing as a balanced meal replacement shake or bar... yeah you'll get fat and more or less protein, but not much in term of vitamins etc.

But it doesn't mean you can't use them as a snack though... I've tried Pure Protein and I have some rotting in my cupboard because I just don't like them. I love Quest bars, they don't have much in term of 'junk'', have 20g of protein and 17g of fiber... but that wouldn't cut it for a meal either.
  • Impreza__1
    Options
    I've tried a couple of different MRS and protein. I like the Designer Whey for a post workout drink. I don't really mind any of the flavors, except there's a PB/Choc one that to me it just tastes like water, despite using the same amt of water that I use for the others. Recently I've been adding other things to it like fruit, yogurt, flax seed, etc. I had been doing the shakeology, really liked the choc, the straw was ok, not a fan of the vanilla or the greenberry. It is very filling, and thick. Even using just water I am full for hours. I blended it with ice in my blender and it's pretty much a milkshake. Downside for me is that it's very expensive. One of my friends is a seller of Herbalife, some other people she knows had a good response in loosing weight. I just started it 4 days ago. got the cookies and cream flavor add in (2 scoops) and the vanilla protein (1 scoop). Very thin like the designer whey. Doesn't keep me full, I find after about 2 hrs I'm looking to eat again. I've tried mixing other things in it to make it more filling, but haven't come up with anything that makes it last any longer. The cookies & Cream is yummy, less water, more ice or milk (almond) makes almost a milkshake, but doesn't help with keeping me full any longer than just normal. Now for bars, this is kind of new for me, I have been looking for something to keep in my pocket when I'm busy and can't get back to eat. I like the kind bars, but not great on nutrition....lots of sugar. Recently another friend recommended the Questbar to me. She is going to be doing the GB surg soon and wanted to try things that people were eating after their surg. There are a lot of diff choices. I bought an assortment, and have eaten a couple. So far there are not any that I don't like. Calories 170-200, low sugar 3, and tons of protein (22 I think). They don't taste like cardboard which is nice, and it keeps me full (with a glass of water) for a few hours. I hope this was helpful, and open to any suggestions on MRS, or bars.
  • marsbone
    marsbone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Clif Bars, they seem to have a good overall nutrition balance. They keep me going if I have a long day and not eating dinner until late. Sugars always a killer in everything. I am always maxed out on sodium too.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I had a bad tooth a couple weeks ago and didn't want to chew anything, so I lived on meal replacement shakes and soup for a few days before I could get to the dentist. I am a cheapskate so I get the Kroger brand of Slimfast (I think it's called SlimRite). Probably not the healthiest food in the world but they work in a pinch. We try to keep a few in the fridge for the rare times when we have to go somewhere early in the morning and don't have time to get everybody ready AND make a decent breakfast. I usually have one about once every month or two. I like the Chocolate Royale flavor the best.
  • msimon0108
    Options
    I love the quest bars. Cookies and Cream and the cookie dough are my favs.
  • ravenswhite
    Options
    So can I have meal replacement shake or a bar for breakfast and a real meal for lunch and dinner because I'm trying to lose weight. I've gained my weight back from starvation. Please help!!
  • ravenswhite
    Options
    I'm looking into meal replacement shakes and bars for those days I need something quick. Any recommendations?

So can I have meal replacement shake or a bar for breakfast and a real meal for lunch and dinner because I'm trying to lose weight. I've gained my weight back from starvation. Please help!!
  • Sparky1030
    Sparky1030 Posts: 163
    Options
    HMR is probably one of the best tasting and filling meal replacements I've ever had. It's also great that the company who makes the product has other foods that you can buy; no I am not a salesperson, just a consumer. I have a friend who lost 60# by sticking to the HMR program.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Special K vanilla cappuccino. A bit pricy but sometimes you pay for convenience, I suppose.
    During these summer months these a good substitute for a cup of hot coffee.
  • psuLemon
    Options

There is not even a need to eat breakfast if you are not a fan. Overall caloric consumption is what matters. Many of our members do interim fasting which gives you a short window per day to eat.

But yes, you can have a protein or meal replace shake in the morning if you prefer.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I second the Quest bars. They are really good, have tons of fiber and protein, aren't too bad with added sugar, and the ingredients list isn't crazy long.

They are very filling as well! I ate one yesterday afternoon and had to make myself eat dinner to get my calories in.