How much food is wasted every year due to pumpkin carving?

Options
2»

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord, let's not even go into the 'food wasting' business. It got really ugly the last time this came up.

Naturally, I took all my pumpkin guts and donated them to the local food bank.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    0. Learned this when I went to a pumpkin patch a few weeks ago - the pumpkins we carve are not meant for eating, cooking pumpkins look different.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Yes, Miley Cyrus' secret name is totally John :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, I always make pie from the leftovers and put he seeds in feeders. Squirrels eat the seeds.
    Have you never heard of a pseudonym?
    First time reading sarcasm over the net? ;)
    I guess so. BTW, who is Miley Cyrus?
    Some bimbo, iunno. lol.
    Is "iunno" an acronym for something? I'm new to all the internet lingo.
    Considering you used "btw", I don't really buy that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I've seen BTW in texts before. Didn't know if "iunno" is specific to the internet.
    It is, but perhaps mostly in chatrooms, so people don't see it as often, maybe?
    I've seen it used plenty at other forums I go to, though. Just guess others haven't stumbled upon it -shrug-
    Oh ok. Thanks.
    Don't mind him. He's been cranky ever since he started this cut. Bad Bacon! Get back in my basement!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

Don't mind him. He's been cranky ever since he started this cut. Bad Bacon! Get back in my basement!
    Need more bacon.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    i was just thinking this other day because if you think about it thats a waste of beautiful fruit
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Anyway, I always make pie from the leftovers and put he seeds in feeders. Squirrels eat the seeds.

Or is John's secret name Miley Cyrus?
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

Some bimbo, iunno. lol.
    I've seen BTW in texts before. Didn't know if "iunno" is specific to the internet.
    I've seen it used plenty at other forums I go to, though. Just guess others haven't stumbled upon it -shrug-
    Oh ok. Thanks.
    Just quoting to point out how long this quote has gotten. Oh mama! XD
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This is the same as people being sad about Christmas trees getting cut down. Christmas trees are grown on farms, by humans, for other humans to cut down and decorate.

Let us not shed tears for the pumpkins.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    how about none? Do you think they would grow this many pumpkins for eating?

Yeah, I'd love to see how many people are looking for pumpkins in June for food. Or December. Or any other non-October months. These pumpkins are made for Fall decorations, Carving, Smashing, and whatever the people who purchase them want to do with them.
    I buy canned pumpkin for cooking year round if I want it.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options

Some bimbo, iunno. lol.
    Oh ok. Thanks.
    Just quoting to point out how long this quote has gotten. Oh mama! XD
    Sure it's long, but what good is it ?
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

Not sure, but I think its a name for someone who likes to make out with construction equipment naked and put her rear end on furries. As in: "You freak! Put down that hammer down and quit being such a Miley Cyrus".
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    At my house: zero.

I buy a few pie (yes the small ones) pumpkins the day before Halloween (yesterday) and carved them last night.

The seeds get made into snacks today

Tomorrow I'll take the little Jack-o-lanterns and finish carving them up into chunks, keep them moist until Saturday, then they'll go into the oven drizzled with honey to be roasted and eventually end up in my homebrewed Pumpkin-spice Ale.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    None. Pumpkins aren't food. Awful, disgusting, vile "fruit" that it is. Best to cut it up and light the night than fill my mouth with its dreadful taste.

QFT! :tongue: I couldn't agree more! :smile: I actually don't even carve ours, because the stench when you cut it open makes me ill. :sick: I have a nice pretty electric light up one that I put in our window to let the Halloweeners know we have treats. :smile:

And as others have mentioned carving/decoration pumpkins are NOT for eating. Pumpkins for eating look completely different - tho still taste vile (pumpkin pie makes me gag).
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    The fact that they are inedible is irrelevant...unless the land used to grow and manpower to cultivate them could not have been used to grow something else...
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    The fact that they are inedible is irrelevant...unless the land used to grow and manpower to cultivate them could not have been used to grow something else...
    There a funny bit by George Carlin on the amount of space wasted by golf courses that I'd like to introduce you to...
  • coolraul07
    Options
    1005-funny-memes52.jpg

*ETA: Image too wide; it says, "So you're telling me that you carve faces in your food and leave it outside to rot?"
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ?

Silly rabbit.

You can't eat pumpkins.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    There a funny bit by George Carlin on the amount of space wasted by golf courses that I'd like to introduce you to...

don't make my shank you with my putter...(we're friends, just kidding here people)
  • coolraul07
    Options

don't make my shank you with my putter...(we're friends, just kidding here people)

Eh, go wedge your wood. (yep, we're pals... having fun...)