Need help

Options
I am so not understanding Net calories... Currently I am trying to lose 1.5 - 2 pounds a week and have been using MFP, my fitbit and doing T25 5 days a week for exercise... In 4 weeks I've lost 3 pounds :-( so I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough... So currently my calories are set at 1450 and I have a net (what ever that is) of 777 and 683 calories left (I've eaten 1448 calories so far today) do I eat more today??? Thank you for any help you can give me!!!

Replies

• justiceevers
    Options
    Net calories are how many calories you consume minus whatever you burn from exercise. You can eat those calories back because the calorie deficit for weight loss is already factored into that number. It would be best to eat those calories back to keep your metabolism going and your energy up. Hope that helps :)
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen .. I checked out your food diary, and I don't see anything really wrong.

I had a small stall for a few weeks in October .. and really didn't know the reason why, but things seem to have turned around. Did I change anything ... no. Just continue ... I think that the weight will come off. Our bodies are just weird. They always will do what they want .. which I know can be frustrating.

I am just a newbie here .. but NET is really just your total food calories less exercise calories burned. So if you eat 2000 and burn 500 .. you net 1500 cal. I would recommend eating back SOME of your exercise calories. I see 50-60% being used as a good percentage for that.
  • cdumee
    cdumee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Always remember that when you exercise you build lean muscle which weighs more than fat. If you are losing less weight than you expect and you are eating the right amount of calories according to your plan, you are probably gaining muscle, which is a good thing.
  • jlmclucas
    Options
    Thank you everyone... So at the end of the night my net calories should say at least 1200????
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Always remember that when you exercise you build lean muscle which weighs more than fat. If you are losing less weight than you expect and you are eating the right amount of calories according to your plan, you are probably gaining muscle, which is a good thing.

no
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think I DO understand the way MFP calculates calories, but it's not really working for me, either.

What I was told is that you should try and eat back SOME of your exercise calories (but not all, because MFP can be up to 30% off, for women).

For instance, if you have MFP set up to lose 1 pound a week (like me), which gives me 1550 calories to fool with (before exercise), and I exercise off 700 calories a day, MFP tells me I can eat 1550 + the 700, because it's already factored in the 1 lb. per week.

BUT, if I then subtract 30% of that number, I arrive at a total daily caloric intake of:

1550 (the number that MFP calculates that will give me a 1lb a week weight loss) + 450 (700-30% or 250, roughly).

So...........according to MFP, I should be eating (on the days when I exercise and burn, baby, burn), 2000 calories. At least, that's how I've been told it works.

I personally know that I've NEVER been able to eat 2000 calories a day, and LOSE weight, even when I was younger, running regularly and had a go-go-go, lifestyle.I have a cro-magnum metabolism and I am post-menopausal, now, so 2000 calories is a ridiculous number for me.

It's taken me a month to figure out but ............I've decided that I should be eating roughly 1550 calories per day, on the days I don't exercise (2 days a week) and 1600-1800 on the days that I do.

I also only lost about 3 pounds for the whole month of Oct. so I know more tweaking needs to happen. I've decided to do IF (Intermittent Fasting) one day per week, for the whole month of November. See how it goes, then tweak some more, if need be.

I know that's not really recommended, but sluggish metabolisms often need constant tweaking. That's one reason it's so good to track..........

Good luck and I hope I helped clear things up a bit! :wink:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Nope, there's no way you can build muscle by eating so little.

Use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and eat that number, and don't worry about exercise calories. You're eating way too little right now.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Eating too little is counterproductive as it makes your body feel it's starving and needs to hang on to fat. It takes a deficit of calories of 3500 to lose 1lb, which averages 300 a day, so you can do it with small changes.
  • jlmclucas
    Options

Nope, there's no way you can build muscle by eating so little.

Use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and eat that number, and don't worry about exercise calories. You're eating way too little right now.

Funny you say I am eating too little because I do not feel hungry at all... I feel like I need to just eat to eat because I need the calories... I tried the link you sent me and I am eating WAY to little... I have to rethink my eating... uggg this weight loss is way to hard...
  • NaoyukiTai
    NaoyukiTai Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am so not understanding Net calories... Currently I am trying to lose 1.5 - 2 pounds a week and have been using MFP, my fitbit and doing T25 5 days a week for exercise... In 4 weeks I've lost 3 pounds :-( so I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough... So currently my calories are set at 1450 and I have a net (what ever that is) of 777 and 683 calories left (I've eaten 1448 calories so far today) do I eat more today??? Thank you for any help you can give me!!!

There is a difference between loosing weight and changing body composition.
    If you are lowering calories while increasing exercise, you do not want to cut out protein. Once you lose your muscle, it's hard to come back.

At the beginning of "losing weight", I did just that. I lost weight but at the same time, I lost fat and muscle at same rate.
    I was targeting 1lb/week loss and but consistently lost 1 - 2 lbs/week for 2,3 months straight.
    I now know, that was wrong. I lost probably good 5lbs of muscle, which takes 10 weeks to gain if I work very hard.

Please don't make the mistake I made. You want to keep lean muscle and lose fat as much as possible.
    And if possible, add more muscle to your body. That's changing body composition.
    You need a lot of protein, about 150 - 200g / day to gain muscle with appropriate exercise.
    If successful, it's very hard to lose weight 1.5-2 lbs / week. But you'll see your body changing quite fast.
    I now lose maybe 1/2lbs per week or two, but I can see better muscle definition all over my body.
    (I get compliments all the time at my tennis club now.)

Also, I did hit a "diet wall" at 5th month. I needed "cheat day". Not a lot of calories but add some carbo back in my diet once a week so that my body metabolism does not slow down.

If I do over my "getting fit" -
    1 - Eat less sugar/bread/pasta/rice from get go
    2 - Eat a lot of veg, fruits, eggs, meat and tofu.
    3 - Take good protein supplement
    4 - Have beer and pizza only on weekends with your friend (I had a beer when RedSox won the game 6 at the tennis club. It's not a weekend but it doesn't happen very often. :-)
    5 - Don't do short period diet. Change your eating habit.
    6 - If your new eating habit allows you to lose weight, don't worry too much about scale.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    It always cracks me up when people's first question when not losing weight is "should I eat more?"

It's never "is my calorie logging accurate?" or "should I eat less?" It's always "should I eat more?"

If you weren't eating enough, you'd be losing weight. That's just thermodynamics. You can't get calories from the air.

I think you need to evaluate your eating habits, and find out how many calories you're REALLY consuming. You're probably estimating and getting extra calories here and there from sources you're not acknowledging.
  • jlmclucas
    Options
    It always cracks me up when people's first question when not losing weight is "should I eat more?"

It's never "is my calorie logging accurate?" or "should I eat less?" It's always "should I eat more?"

If you weren't eating enough, you'd be losing weight. That's just thermodynamics. You can't get calories from the air.

I think you need to evaluate your eating habits, and find out how many calories you're REALLY consuming. You're probably estimating and getting extra calories here and there from sources you're not acknowledging.
    I know for my body if I don't eat enoght I will not lose weight! I know I am very accurate with my logging of my food! If you don't eat enough your body thinks you are starving it and that changes the whole weightless game!
  • cdumee
    cdumee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Some people have said you cannot gain muscle if you are eating so few calories. I disagree. I am given 1870 calories on my plan. I swim 7 days a week. I do spin cycling 4 days a week, and strength circuit training the other 3 days. That is 2 workouts a day. I still only eat my 1870 calories and do not replace exercise calories. I see with my own eyes the muscle I am gaining, and see with my own eyes my body composition changing. While the weight loss seems to be slow, the size of my neck and chest and waist are smaller, and my muscles are growing.

So when people just say "no" as a response to what I said, I think they want to argue, or they have not seen these results in themselves. What you eat to fill in your calories makes a big difference in the results you see.

Just my two cents based on my own experience. I hope you find the results you are looking for!