Body fat percentage measurement

Options
Hey!
What does everyone think is the best bodyfat % measure?
It's definitely not the electronic scale... I went on it the day before yesterday and it calculated 20% bf and yesterday it was 12% bf... I'm pretty sure it's not 12% (according to what I can see from the mirror anyway) and I'm sure, I hope it's below 20, I'm been working pretty hard.

So how does everyone track their progress? And how accurate is it?

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hydrostatic Weighting
    Bodpod
    Dexa scans

These 3 are the most accurate methods to test BF%, as far as I know anyways !
    I get mine tracked with a BodPod every 6ish months
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I just found a trainer in town with a BodPod. I can't wait to get this done!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hydrostatic Weighting
    Bodpod
    Dexa scans

These 3 are the most accurate methods to test BF%, as far as I know anyways !
    I get mine tracked with a BodPod every 6ish months

I can vouch for the bodpod, I've used it twice now. It's pretty much the best way to test for it aside from dexascan, and it's about 1/6 the cost.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    The only completely accurate measuring device is a dunk tank, air displacement pod, or Dexascans (like an x-ray). But obviously those are not easily available & expensive. Most experts say the next best thing are the electronic scales, because they say people are NOT consistent w/caliper measurements. BUT the main reason the scales tend to vary so much is because of hydration issues and there are ways to minimize that. We use a scale for our weight loss group, everyone is advised of the tips below to make it as accurate as possible, & it is VERY rare the numbers change more than 1-2% each week. First, make sure you have a good scale. Consumer Reports liked the Weight Watchers & Biggest Loser scales, both available from Bed, Bath & Beyond...look for the 20% off coupons that are all over the place. Then follow these tips & I think you'll find the numbers stay pretty consistent.

1. No exercise 12 hours before testing.
    2. No food or drink, not even water less than 4 hours before testing.
    3. BUT hydrate like crazy up to that 4 hour cut off.
    4. Due to the tips above, & because most people wake up dehydrated, it's usually best to test at night.
    5. Completely dry skin, so best to test before any showers.

Hope this helps.
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Scales (that aren't worth hundreds) will be often terribly inaccurate. Mine, for example, tell me that I am around the 30% body-fat mark when, realistically, i'd say i'm closer to 17-19%. The methods mentioned by ClassickQC are, indeed, the most accurate methods to gauge body-fat. However, they are rather costly.

If you're looking to just test quickly and at an affordable price, you can get a set of electronic calipers online for around £15 (say...$25). The ones I have use a 3-test site calculation and, if used well, according to the manual, can be accurate to within +/- 1-2%, i'd say.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    #1 - DEXA Scan. Extremely accurate....but VERY expensive to have done, IF you can find a place that does them.
    #2 - Hydrostatic Testing (aka water displacement). Very accurate....but not widely available (although most colleges/universities with an exercise science dept have one)...can be pricey ($40-100).
    #3 - Bod Pod (aka air displacement). only slightly less accurate than water....again not widely available (although most colleges/universities with an exercise science dept have one)...can be pricey ($30-75).
    #4 - Skinfold Measurements (aka caliper testing) by a trained professional. accuracy highly dependent on the knowledge/ability of person taking the skinfold measurements. widely available (most gyms should have at least one trainer on staff that knows how to do it)...cost is minimal (or free). Key is to make sure the same person takes your measurements each time you have it done.
    #5 - Bio-Impedance (aka electronic scale or handheld device) - EXTREMELY inaccurate (can be off by as much as 10-15% or more!). Best used to track trends, provided you have the same hydration level as the last time you tested. widely available (most gyms have a handheld device, or you can purchase your own scale or handheld device). cost is extremely variable from free (at the gym) to upwards of $200 for a scale (although from what I've read, more $$ does NOT translate to more accurate).

**Caveat - ALL methods are subject to error by the person administering. The only 100% true way to measure BF is via autopsy. :wink:

Hope that helps! :happy:
  • thmgoodw
    Options
    double post
  • thmgoodw
    Options
    Yea, the scales that measure bodyfat% are more or less a joke, although they do show trending over time. Over the course of 24 hours, my BF% varies up to 8% on the scale.

As a male who gains most of his fat around the midsection, I simply measure my waist measurement on basically a daily basis (empty stomach, first thing in the morning), which has been a pretty good for tracking for me.

For anyone in the Twin Cities area, the University of Minnesota does hydrostatic testing for something like $40 (found it via google). When I get to a leaner weight I plan on giving that a whirl.

Hey!
    What does everyone think is the best bodyfat % measure?
    It's definitely not the electronic scale... I went on it the day before yesterday and it calculated 20% bf and yesterday it was 12% bf... I'm pretty sure it's not 12% (according to what I can see from the mirror anyway) and I'm sure, I hope it's below 20, I'm been working pretty hard.

So how does everyone track their progress? And how accurate is it?
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    The only completely accurate measuring device is a dunk tank, air displacement pod, or Dexascans (like an x-ray). But obviously those are not easily available & expensive. Most experts say the next best thing are the electronic scales, because they say people are NOT consistent w/caliper measurements. BUT the main reason the scales tend to vary so much is because of hydration issues and there are ways to minimize that. We use a scale for our weight loss group, everyone is advised of the tips below to make it as accurate as possible, & it is VERY rare the numbers change more than 1-2% each week. First, make sure you have a good scale. Consumer Reports liked the Weight Watchers & Biggest Loser scales, both available from Bed, Bath & Beyond...look for the 20% off coupons that are all over the place. Then follow these tips & I think you'll find the numbers stay pretty consistent.

1. No exercise 12 hours before testing.
    2. No food or drink, not even water less than 4 hours before testing.
    3. BUT hydrate like crazy up to that 4 hour cut off.
    4. Due to the tips above, & because most people wake up dehydrated, it's usually best to test at night.
    5. Completely dry skin, so best to test before any showers.

Hope this helps.
    This isn't really a correct statement. Although hydrostatic testing is generally considered to be one of the most accurate methods, it and all other methods are estimates of body fat % based on certain assumptions about body density. The only truly accurate way to measure body fat % is to boil you down and weigh what floats to the top. :laugh:

I will say however, that hydrostatic testing, BodPod, and Dexa Scan will produce very consistent data over time, so if one says your body fat % has changed by X amount, you can feel pretty confident in that number.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    InBody. Did one today.