To Much Protein

Options
I keep going over in my Protein...but generally within my calorie limit....Should I be concerned :huh: or is it ok???

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Typically, the default level for Protein is too low in my opinion. Eating more is a good thing! How many grams per day do you typically eat?
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I keep going over in my Protein...but generally within my calorie limit....Should I be concerned :huh: or is it ok???

I always go over my protein, too, without going over calories. But I think it's fine. I find that I get less salt and get to feel fuller by eating more protein and less carbs. It's gotten to the point where I don't even have protein on my diary as something being tracked....I swapped it out for sodium. But don't cut out your carbs completely. You do need some.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    For weight loss you should be at about 1.5 times your body weight (in kilos) for grams of protein. MFP is set pretty low. So you should be shooting for going over your listed protein limit.
  • carmenrichard
    Options
    Typically, the default level for Protein is too low in my opinion. Eating more is a good thing! How many grams per day do you typically eat?

Not everyday, but probably around 75-100 grams
  • lordofultima
    Options
    I consume 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Of course I'm a dude though, so it's different. I'd say for a woman 0.5-1 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is good.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Unless you're a very, very tiny person, 75-100 grams is fine.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The mfp settings are WAY too low for either weight loss or muscle building. I suppose it's ok for endurance athletes and that's about it.

I go anywhere from 1g-1.5g of protein per pound (180) of bodyweight - typically 225g of protein a day.
  • Margoose38
    Options
    I read that you are supposed to eat 20% of your body weight in protein. I try to eat way more than that... I like to be around 75-100 a day.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Carbohydrates are the macro-nutrient you really have to watch out for. Protein is good for your muscles, fills you up quickly, and excess protein isn't going to hurt either. I'd recommend that you consume at least as much protein as you do carbohydrates, if not more.
  • oreganoqueen
    Options
    How do you manage that? My protein levels are always too low. Not really sure how to increase them without drastically changing the way I eat.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Well, lean meats offer the best source of protein, followed by a dairy whey protein isolate powder, so of course you'd have to modify your diet to include more sources of protein, and less simple carbs.
  • carmenrichard
    Options
    THANK YOU everyone...My new goal seems to be 109 gms. I am 160 lbs :smile:
  • scoutfiredog
    Options
    Something I eat for lunch is a lowfat string cheese wrapped in some meat of some kind. I stay low, like 2oz max, on the meat because I use lunch meat and its high in sodium. I have some veggies and a piece of fruit and I am stuffed. Great protein boost along with some fiber in the veggies and fruit. Hope this helps.
  • rstring
    rstring Posts: 35
    Options
    It is my understanding that protein helps jump start your metabolism, so if you have a low meta you will probably want higher protein levels.
  • carmenrichard
    Options
    It is my understanding that protein helps jump start your metabolism, so if you have a low meta you will probably want higher protein levels.

Really?? I have never heard that...I hope it is true :flowerforyou:
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    For weight loss you should be at about 1.5 times your body weight (in kilos) for grams of protein. MFP is set pretty low. So you should be shooting for going over your listed protein limit.

1 - 1.5 of your ideal body weight. not the current weight if your looking to loose. the protein is to preserve the muscles that you want to keep and recharge them :)