To eat or not eat calories earned by exercise?

Options
I wonder if it is a mandatory thing to eat the extra calories you have earned by exercise? I want to lose weight sensibly, but it seems a contradiction to eat more because you exercised. I am on 1200 calories and earn approx 250 when I exercise. Does anyone else have advice for me?
Great site! I have only been on it for 2 weeks or so and I have lost 6 pounds.

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Understand the design and intention of MFP's method:

MFP is designed for people to lose weight without exercise. Essentially, it treats everyone as a non-exerciser; so before an active person even enters any information at all, they are already assuming an exercise-induced calorie deficit because, unlike traditional TDEE calculators, MFP excludes exercise activity in it's formula.

For example: if a person has a goal to maintain weight and burns a legitimate 500 calories from exercise, MFP will provide a maintenance intake that is potentially 500 calories less than what's needed. Thus, members have to add a good portion of those exercise calories to adhere to their specified weekly weight goals.
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories. The MFP diet is designed for you to eat your exercise calories. Be careful not to overestimate your calories.

You get rewarded for exercising by getting more calories.

I've lost 30 lbs eating my exercise calories.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I always eat back my exercise calories, but I always half the amount of calories MFP says that I burnt because I don't trust their calculators.
  • phoebefry
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories, because I'm usually HUNGRY!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Might want to check out the search function here...this topic bounces in and out all the time.
  • HeyJudeismyname
    Options
    Thanks for your input! Very enlightening and it helps me understand the program a little better. And congratulations on your weight loss!
  • HeyJudeismyname
    Options
    That is the truth for me too!
  • HeyJudeismyname
    Options
    Thanks! I will enjoy my food. Exercise reward is you can eat more!
  • HeyJudeismyname
    Options
    Thanks I am still trying to figure out the site. I am not real computer savy.
  • Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I *kitten* my hunger level and go from there. Because if you're not hungry you shouldn't be eating extra calories just because they're there.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I don't know why we are told to do it that way. Seems just as easy to set your calories to maintenance and then whatever exercise you do is the deficit needed to lose weight. That way it works the way we are taught to think and we have an incentive to work out.
  • HeyJudeismyname
    Options
    Thanks to all who have responded. I thought I was replying to each of you, but it appears I am wrong. So thanks to all, I appreciate any and all advice!::laugh:
  • midwestmixtape
    midwestmixtape Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't know why we are told to do it that way. Seems just as easy to set your calories to maintenance and then whatever exercise you do is the deficit needed to lose weight. That way it works the way we are taught to think and we have an incentive to work out.

It is harder to find the time and energy for a lot of people to burn off 750 calories a day than to simply eat less. There is nothing wrong with eating less than we need to.