exercise help please

Options
hello, my name is cassie, and I need some help in finding exercises that i can safely do as i have 4 fractures in my low back, 2 compressed discs and arthritis from my L2, which has two fractures on it, all the way down through my tail bone. can anyone tell me and safe/effective exercises that i can do that will help me in my weight loss battle.

Replies

• robyng24
    Options
    I suggested in your original post - you could consider water walking. If you have a pool that you could use, it is low impact but good fitness.
  • Sobeone
    Sobeone Posts: 72
    Options
    I have a very bad lower back. In fact I'm disabled but I can still walk a mile at a time sometimes I just walk in place in front of the tv. This little exercise has helped me loose on average of 4 lbs per week so far. No excuses, they stink
  • okay thanks everyone.
  • lbFighter
    lbFighter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on the disc between my L3/L4 in August and have recently started cardio workouts following 6 weeks of physical therapy. I find that I have the greatest heart rate increase with no back pain on the recumbent bike. Even in comparison to the treadmill, this is much easier on my back. I use the weight loss program and let the tension drive my heart rate up to the target for weight loss in intervals.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? Swimming is one of the best full body exercises and is incredible for toning your body. Swim as often and as long as you can.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your physician about your options?
  • I can kind of swim. not well. but with it getting cold lakes are out and i have no income at the present so pools are out too
  • yes i have, and they basically said walking and swimming but swimming is out cause of the cold and with no income i cannot get to a pool. i was kinda hoping there were some exercises i could do standing up or laying on my sides. as i cannot lay on my back or stomach.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    You can still ride a horse? I am confused about how disabled this makes you.

Anyway, a recumbent bike might help, swimming is good, water aerobics is good for you...
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I dont want to be mean, please do not ride the horse unil you have lost some weight. Horses backs are not really that strong. Most stables have a 200lbish weight limit. Good luck on your journey.
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Anyway, a recumbent bike might help, swimming is good, water aerobics is good for you...

That picture could be fairly old. And disability takes many forms. Be kind please.
  • candiceh3
    Options

That picture could be fairly old. And disability takes many forms. Be kind please.

I am not being unkind. But when someone asks for exercise help and it appears they can hold the position required to ride a horse - it's kinda helpful information to think about other positions they can hold.
  • no i cannot ride horse anymore. i keep trying but i can't stay on because my balance is shot, and the pain is so intense.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I dont want to be mean, please do not ride the horse unil you have lost some weight. Horses backs are not really that strong. Most stables have a 200lbish weight limit. Good luck on your journey.

A shorter backed stock horse can easily carry over 200 pounds, especially if the rider is experienced and balanced. Don't speak in generalities if you don't know all of the facts of a particular rider's situation.

OP- I hope you are able to get back in the saddle someday.