Is My Fitness Pal correct?

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused. Myfitnesspal says I need 1650 calories a day to maintain my weight, and then the american cancer site says i need 1780 to maintain. Not much of a difference but my question is which site is correct? today I had maybe 20 more calories then what mfp says I need. To them I'd be an ounce heavier if I ate like this daily but to the Cancer site It would be different. I'm just confused and a bit tired of counting calories..

Neither.

They are both estimates, probably derived from different equations.

At the end of the day, your body is not a machine. You have to run at one TDEE for a couple of weeks and then, if you need to, adjust up or down by a 100 and try again. Might take a little while depending on how consistent you are with exercise and how set-in-stone your day-to-day activities are.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Use either TDEE or the MFP number as starting points. Last week I gave myself an additional 50 calories (My Home -> Goals -> Change Goals-> Custom-> input your desired calorie goal). I usually shoot for a bit under my total calories (due to exaggeration of MFP's calorie burn estimates) on a weekly basis--which will probably change when I bite the bullet and start a slow bulk.