Shoulder exercises with free weights

Options
I'd love a list of shoulder exercises (with free weights) to strengthen around my shoulder and upper back area.

I have problems with dislocating my shoulders, which I did again recently, and could use more ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    - Standing Over Head Press/Standing Military Press

- Dumbbell side raises

- Standing upright rows (for your traps)

- Barbell or Dumbell Rows (for your upper back)

- rear laterals (for your delts)
  • lisal11
    lisal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to Youtube those!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Youtube rotator cuff work
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The shoulder (deltoid) has 3 heads so you want to make sure you work them all.

Front Deltoid - Overhead Press, Front Raises

Medial Deltoid - Lateral Raises

Rear Deltoid - Bent Over Flyes
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I just recently came across "Scarecrows" and I have the feeling they might help you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY0TMsw7W74
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I just recently came across "Scarecrows" and I have the feeling they might help you.

As someone with chronic dislocation issues...that looks horrifying! Even now, almost 30 years after surgery, that is freaking me out so much!
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    I still love all the 'basics' that my physical therapist gave me after my surgery...
    upright rows
    lateral raises
    front raises
    overhead press

And some that I don't even know what they're called!

I do all those basics in various positions...palms facing front, palms facing inward, palm facing back.

I do one that looks like I'm sort of pulling a belt tighter, but with both hands, elbows locked to sides, hands swing outward. I don't know if that makes sense, but it gets 'that spot' for me.

I was also told to really make sure that the surrounding muscles in the arms, chest, and back are strong so that the shoulder won't have to have all the workload during real-life motions. Less strain = less chance of dislocation.

I've recently discovered The Arnold Press, which I like a lot, but I have to be very precise with how I position my arms. Look it up, it's a good one as long as you're careful.
  • lisal11
    lisal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm looking into all those exercises, some of them I'm familiar with from previous PT stints. The scarecrows look interesting, definitely something to challenge myself with once I get some more muscle built up.

It is a chronic dislocation issue. When I was young, it was not so bad. I could have full dislocation, put it back and have no more than a sore shoulder for a day. Last year, I dislocated the left shoulder, immediately followed by a few subluxations. That one caused permanent nerve damage. It seems to get worse as I get older. My doctors are pretty sure I have a genetic collagen defect because I'm bendy like a contortionist. Been meaning to get tested for EDS.

Anyway, thanks again! Good ideas!
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    Mine started when I was four. It would happen once in a while, I was always able to get it back in myself. My parents didn't even know about it, I don't think. By the time I was in high school, it was doing it a few times a year. By senior year, it was about once a week. I still won't even attempt to turn a doorknob with my left hand, it left me mentally scarred/scared.

Oh! Doorknobs! Hold both arms straight out to your sides and act as if you were opening doorknobs, turn back and forth. No weights on this one, at least until you see how it is for you.

Arm circles are wonderful too. Both arms straight out. Draw 6-12 inch circles in the air. Do some forward and then some backward.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Standing mil press is king. One of the best compound movements you can do...my personal fav outside of deadlifts
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

As someone with chronic dislocation issues...that looks horrifying! Even now, almost 30 years after surgery, that is freaking me out so much!

I'm sorry if I was off base with it. :( I figured it would be done with very light weights. I've just seen many people doing shoulder rehab recommending them.
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options

I'm sorry if I was off base with it. :( I figured it would be done with very light weights. I've just seen many people doing shoulder rehab recommending them.

No, I'm sure it's extremely effective. It just looks scary as hell. The thought of rotating my arm while in a raised position and while the arm is unsupported is terrifying. That alone would be enough, with no weight. And then to think about adding weight to it? Take an already unsupported and unstably positioned joint and add weight? Eeek! It's all mental, I'm sure. I'm going to try to muster up the courage to try the motion weight-free this weekend. I'm curious. And scared.
  • BranDiesel_27
    Options
    arnold presses! grrrr

Push press's
    clean and press's
    laterals from different angles
    Upright rows
    Shrugs.....
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Strengthening the deltoids doesn't necessarily strengthen the glenohumeral joint (shoulder). Your time would be be served strengthening/stabilizing the muscles around the joint (rotator cuff muscles, rhomboid, lower trap, serratus anterior, teres major, levator scapulae).

Theses are good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5jhDPpQYYA
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I love all of the above mentioned shoulder exercises! Upright rows are my new fave.