Switching to Maintenance

Options
I'm nearing my goal weight, I'd like to move on to maintenance and focus more on toning and building a little muscle in my arms and core as I move into shift work over the summer my job will require manual handling (Lifting, shoveling material etc).

My real question is, how do I move to maintenance, do I gradually over the next couple of weeks up my calories (by 100's?) or Do I just go straight to eating maintenance.

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• justiceevers
    Options
    I'd say just go right to eating maintenance calories. If you eat slightly more, but still at a deficit, you would still be losing weight.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Gradual is better for most people. There is usually some weight gain as you adjust and a slow increase helps. The weight gain is mostly water but some people freak when they see it and jump right back to dieting.

Here is thread that explains some of the weight gain you see when switching to maintenance.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071202-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Since you don't want to accidently eat above your adjusted maintenance intake, it's preferred to increase calories every two weeks by 100 or so and track changes in body weight. As mentioned by mustgetmuscles, you will recover water weight that was lost during the first few days of dieting. If you did not employ too large of a deficit, you shouldn't have to increase calories by much until your weight becomes relatively stable.

If you wish to increase lean mass, you will need to establish what your maintenance calories are once your weight stabilizes and hold for some time to allow your body to get used to a maintenance level of food.

After this phase, you'll then have to eat at a modest calorie surplus of say 250 calories for several months while lifting weights at a progressive resistance and consuming at minimum 120 to 135% of your lean mass in protein. In the most optimal conditions for women, you are looking at increasing lean mass by 1 lb per month. Realize that you will likely gain an equal amount of fat doing this. Thus, set a specified lean mass goal and end the surplus phase once your weight is double that number. For example, if you wish to increase lean mass by 5 lbs, then stop once you have gained a total of 10 lbs after a period of 5 months.

At this point, you'll then need to reduce calories little by little until you again establish your adjusted maintenance intake (which will likely be a bit higher than before simply because you weigh more). Once your weight has stabilized, you are then prepared to reduce fat mass while trying to preserve as much of the 5 lb of increased lean mass.

To do this: lift heavy enough weights; eat approximately 100% of your lean mass in lbs; and reduce caloric intake by roughly 250 calories to illicit a 0.5 lb weekly loss until you reach your goal weight. After this, you'll simply repeat the same process you are about to do.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Since you don't want to accidently eat above your adjusted maintenance intake, it's preferred to increase calories every two weeks by 100 or so and track changes in body weight. As mentioned by mustgetmuscles, you will recover water weight that was lost during the first few days of dieting. If you did not employ too large of a deficit, you shouldn't have to increase calories by much until your weight becomes relatively stable.

Thanks for the detailed information on making the transition to Maintenance. I anticipate making the shift in about a month. Since the glycogen water gain that inevitably happens when returning to maintenance is a part of the process, does it make sense for me to first try to lose about three to five pounds below my actual goal weight before switching to maintenance? (Then when the water weight returns, I'd be at goal?)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do lose more to get ready for the restocking. I did. Then when I slowly upped my calories I didn't gain anything back, to tell you the truth. In other words, I hit a good weight for me, my loss went to a very slow pound a month. I did that for 5 months, then upped by 250 calories and haven' gained anything. I am, in fact, maintaining.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed information on making the transition to Maintenance. I anticipate making the shift in about a month. Since the glycogen water gain that inevitably happens when returning to maintenance is a part of the process, does it make sense for me to first try to lose about three to five pounds below my actual goal weight before switching to maintenance? (Then when the water weight returns, I'd be at goal?)

If you just have to be a certain weight then you could go a bit beyond your goal but honestly a couple pounds of water is not really noticeable over the entire body and it stored in your muscles so they can look a little fuller.

Personally I can tell a difference in energy and strength right away so a couple pounds is totally worth it to me.
  • stb1234
    stb1234 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! It's been really helpful