mild laxative before weigh in

Options
2»

Replies

• LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I mix Benefiber in ONE of my glasses of water for the day. It is enough of an addition to go along with the other natural foods with fiber. It mixes pretty easy and has absolutely no taste. But again, most of your fiber should come from the foods you eat!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    As far as using the laxative specifically before your weigh in, I personally think that is kind of cheating. I understand you do not want excess weight from irregularity, but I think it's more important to establish regularity than trying to fool the scale.

I use fiber bars, which make a tasty snack and good old fashioned prunes, but I am very fiber sensitive.
  • sbusarah
    sbusarah Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and use to only go #2 every 3 to 5 days. I had a lot of problems. I started taking benefiber and increasing my fiber in my diet and I started being more regular. Three years after seeing my GI doctor I now go #2 one to two times on a typical day. I also get enough fiber in my diet now that I dont have to use benefiber. If I happen to find that I am clogging up I look at fiber intake or add benefiber for a few days. Water is also very important as others have said...

I would strongly discourage you from taking laxatives as this problem can be fixed naturally. If you increase fiber and still have problems you may want to discuss it with your doctor the next time you go to see them. I know I was severely constipated and had lots of pain associated with my bowel movements before I changed my diet. That is not normal.

Good luck to you on your journey and remember its more about getting healthy than a number on the scale.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as an accurate number on the scale, it fluctuates, hourly. Just sayin'.
    And, you'd have to take at least 2 weeks worth of acidophilus/probiotics (activia) to reap the benefits, not
    just the day before weigh in. But hey, if it makes you feel better, go for it.

I got benefits / results pretty much right away from eating it occasionally but I don't want to give the OP bad advice. So...maybe just add activia to your diet and weigh yourself at your preferred time after (2 weeks) when you feel the activia has kicked in
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    honestly even if you did take it to drop weight before a weigh in you may not sway the scale much. you would pull water out of your body to make the poop occur but over all fiber in the way to go. it'll keep you moving and fill you up more.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. The laxative will give you a false number for that day. Maybe even dehydrate you as well. They are addicting as many posters have all ready said. There is no such thing as a "normal" number of BM's a day. Anyone who is eating regularly, usually goes at least once in 3 days. But every body is different. And everyone here knows there is no quick fix for losing weight. Otherwise none of us would be here. It is all about sensible dieting and exercise. It takes time. Give it time. But most importantly be healthy with your efforts! Well wishes to you!
  • pinksgirlfriend
    pinksgirlfriend Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    :smile: