Bad break up?

Options
I didn't know whether to post this but since my boyfriend broke up with me I'm having trouble sleeping and I'm lucky if I get 2 hours a night. I'm just wondering without sleeping pills or exercise is there anyway to help me stay sleeping for longer than two hours. :(

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are having a hard time. I have been there, so I know exactly how you feel. Benadryl and valerian root tea usually do the trick for me. Or smoking a bowl. :)
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Try some magnesium, calcium and vit b.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I take a powdered magnesium citrate supplement and it helps.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    wine?

sorry that happened to you.. I know you don't want to hear it.. but time will help.. ;( its still fresh which is super hard.

good luck
  • becausemexico
    becausemexico Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    exercise is good for frustration and helps with sleeping. i have insomnia, so i understand not sleeping well. a few of my friends use z-quil for sleep, which is advertised as being non-habit forming, so you could try that.
  • novakac
    novakac Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So so sorry about that.

You can try melatonin. Natural supplement tricks your body into thinking it wants to sleep. Don't know if it's strong enough for what you're going through, though.

Other than that, I'd try relaxation and/or meditation. Sounds like hippie crap, but sometimes actually works.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm just out of one after almost 2 and a half years, not much banter! One thing that always helps me sleep is watching ASMR videos Although I don't get it myself, they are always really relaxing and I nod off quickly.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    So sorry honey. You will get over this. It is hard but it will get better. No alcohol, that is just empty calories. And with drinking of alcohol you are just taking your emotions and hiding them. Its is best to deal with them without the clouded mind of alcohol. The supplements, up there, are a great idea and buy some lavender bath salts and spray. Take a bath in the salts and spray your pillow. Chamomile tea helps a lot too. This is all to relax yourself so hopefully the sleep will get better. Then if you want the sleep aid use it just before you lay down. NEVER MIX the Sleeping aid with the Alcohol. These kinds of break ups can feel much like a death of a loved one. Again I am truly sorry for your pain.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    There are few more traumatic events in life than the breakup of significant romantic relationships. It doesn't matter that when they are happening everyone tells you that you'll survive. It is painfully disruptive to emotional stability. Nothing wrong with speaking to your doctor and getting a prescription to take you through the worst of it.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    sorry about the break up theres a sleepy time tea you can get
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's real hard to get out of the circular thinking and anger.

If you're lying in bed getting angry and going around in circles, get up and do something. I'd make myself get up and clean my apartment (It had never been so clean) and then try bed again.
  • ineedalifetbh
    ineedalifetbh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the replies guys! I'm not really one for taking medication but I guess I could try the sleeping tea. The only reason I don't want to exercise is because my legs are absolutely destroyed from yesterdays workout still and it hurts to walk plus I'm completely exhausted as I've only slept three hours in two days!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are having a hard time. I have been there, so I know exactly how you feel. Benadryl and valerian root tea usually do the trick for me. Or smoking a bowl. :)

This. I also have been having trouble sleeping after a recentish breakup (not sure if the two are related though, actually really happy to be single fwiw) and on the nights I don't take my prescription sleep aid I either do benadryl or smoke a bit. Not sire what your thoughts are on the latter but the benadryl is definitely helpful!

Sorry to hear about this though, I know everyone says it but it really only does go up from here. Good luck!
  • ineedalifetbh
    ineedalifetbh Posts: 132 Member
    Options

This. I also have been having trouble sleeping after a recentish breakup (not sure if the two are related though, actually really happy to be single fwiw) and on the nights I don't take my prescription sleep aid I either do benadryl or smoke a bit. Not sire what your thoughts are on the latter but the benadryl is definitely helpful!

Sorry to hear about this though, I know everyone says it but it really only does go up from here. Good luck!

Apparently suffering sleepless nights, not being able to sleep is normal and should ease up. I'm not really a medication type of person, I prefer the natural route. I guess, I will be because most of the time the relationship was more of a hassle than an enjoyment and I couldn't accept that. Again, I don't smoke any more does me no good, makes me ill/light headed only been able to sleep good once from it. I really don't know about it going up, I've had a pretty bad year, and it gets worse each year. :(
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Take the hurt to the gym
  • Joe_pat
    Options
    How tragic!! But don't be frustrate. I also suffered from this problem because of my breakup with my girlfriend. But after some time I urged myself. According to me you should try be busy in something such as listening music, with friend that would give better advice walking and so on.
  • ohkatherinewheel
    ohkatherinewheel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had to ride out the no sleeping thing.... It took me a month or so after my last bad breakup. Taking sleeping pills did nothing for me at all. :/ It'll level itself out, I promise...

I'm very sorry you're going through this. :frown:
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem a few yrs ago i found leaving the t.v on helped alot, i just needed the noise i guess
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Let it all out, talk to someone, have a cry, all of that and you will sleep a lot better!

I also used to put music on when I went to bed to stop my brain wandering into what happened,

Hope you get some sleep soon :-)