Calling all nursing students/RNs/EMTs/etc!

Options
Hi guys!

I want to offer support to my fellow friends in healthcare...I'm a nursing student (graduating this May!) and I'd love to meet some more nursing students or other people in the medical field! I think while weight loss/fitness/exercise can be a lot to handle for anyone, it can be ESPECIALLY hard in nursing school due to the long study hours, clinicals, and reading till my face falls off and brain shuts down.

If you are already a nurse, what's your specialty or which floor do you work on? Do you find it hard to stay in shape, or do you make time for it?

And for my fellow students, how are you guys doing? I joke with people that there's the common "Freshman 15" but in nursing school its the "Nursing 20". Anyone else have that experience?

Anyway. Feel free to add me as a friend guys! Love to give out extra support when I can, when I'm not putting in a Foley or emptying chest tube drainage ;)

Love & light!
- Olivia :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sarah_maria_k
    Options
    Hi Olivia!! I'm a Bio major and also an EMT and full time ER Tech....weight gain is a huuuge issue for all of us in high stress jobs...working 18 hour shifts 5 days a week plus school...without a lunch break what are you supposed to eat..? It's hard to eat a salad in the middle of a trauma :wink: I'm starting out way behind with over 100 lbs to lose but Its easy enough to,do just choosing a quest bar over a Hershey's bar in those 45 seconds you actually get a chance to eat :smile:
  • runspaz
    Options
    I'm graduating in May also. Fall semester seems to be the worst for me, I keep gaining and losing the same ten lbs. Last spring I trained for a half marathon (dont ask where I found the time as I work full-time and have three kids as well) and that definitely helped knock some of the pounds back off.

Right now I either eat too much or not enough and I run once every two weeks...Cant wait to be done with school!

Good luck!
  • focused201
    focused201 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Paramedic here! and always being in the hustle and bussle of emergency 911 work puts a strain on you stresswise and weight which go hand in hand, its all about planning and discipline and making time for yourself
  • krisflower19
    krisflower19 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm starting nursing next year, I did medical imaging this year and found it boring as hell. Any tips for keeping the weight off and exercise on during study would be great!
  • bjpkwiltz
    Options
    Welcome to all of you to patient care!! 35 yr experienced RN, so no great advice for school it has been too long!
    With 30+ yrs of night shift work, weight control has been a real problem for me. I am hoping that now a day shift person regular eating habits will help get the wight off that I need to lose.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing student! :)
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm a mom, and a paramedic, and have a weird-*kitten* nerve disorder that causes a myriad of issues, including problems losing weight. Welcome!
  • LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just passed boards in Sept. and am working in Med-Surg hell! :devil: Gained 15 pounds with the crazy schedule that one keeps in nursing school.....but it is gone now...why..because I graduated and got the heck and darn outta there:-) Best of luck to you and remember...YOU can do this:flowerforyou:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse but I traded my scrubs for heels and a laptop two years ago. Spent a year in med-surg, the 7 in labor and delivery. Good luck to you!
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hey there - I'm an RN, I graduated from a little over a year ago. I probably put on a good 50 pounds during my 4 years! I never had time for ANYTHING let alone cooking or even packing a lunch. I lived on fast food, yack! It does get better though - you'll probably never do a care plan (like that) again, so that...frees up a lot of time right there =)

I went into public health when I got out of school - it's actually a surprisingly active role aside from charting and that's helped me lose a bit to begin with. Feel free to add me if you want and good luck with the NCLEX (it's easier than HESI, if you ever took one of those)
  • startingtoday94
    startingtoday94 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing student! and you're totally right...I've gained 10kg (roughly 20lbs) since starting! it's so depressing! D:
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've been an RN for 20 years. I worked with spinal cord injured patients for years before going into hospital administration. I packed on a ton of weight in nursing school and in my first year out. But, then I got serious, lost the weight and have generally kept it off since.

Nursing is a GREAT field and I wish you all the best!
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay-at-home mommy now, but before that I was a medical technologist (or sometimes called clinical lab scientist) and I took some of the same classes as the nursing students, some great friends in that group! Add me if you like.

I worked in blood bank and microbiology - talked to the nurses at the hospital I worked at all the time :-)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hi all, 15yrs as an RN here. Worked in Med surg / Cardiac step down / ICU. Now working in long term health care. Nursing as a general rule is stressful and has weird hours. Find your groove and the rest eill fall into place.
  • danapenguin
    Options
    Hey! I am a CNA in the ICU and also a Respritory student (graduate in May!) I soo understand how hard it is to keep track with your food and make time for exercise and still study! I have fallen off the weight loss wagon recently due to stress, but now my doctor increased my Zoloft and I am feeling motivated once again!!
  • spappas1989
    spappas1989 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am a hospice RN. I lost weight while working a SNF but gained it back working at a much more stressful and emotionally demanding job. However, I am now also done with my bachelors (I went back for that a year after I had my associates) so I am focusing on ME.

My biggest advise for nursing school is honestly enjoy it...yes it sucks. But some of my best friends ever came from nursing school and I miss them a ton (we still get together every couple of months for a solid day of laughs and remembering). And you will still do care plans. I honestly spend more time on care plans now because now as a case manager for my patients.

Just know that it's a tough time but you will make it through and I know it sucks putting the weight on but you'll be able to take it off too if you try really hard :). Good luck! I have truly found my calling as a hospice nurse and I love my job.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm in nursing school right now. Add me. I am already kind of overwhelmed so I can't imagine how I am going to manage a healthy lifestyle once it gets harder.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am a RRT (Registered Respiratory Therapist) who just graduated in May, licensed in June, and passed my boards July 1. I am currently working some crazy hours at my first job (PRN/contingent, no less), paying my dues and waiting for a full time job opening...LOL Anyway, love nurses and techs- couldn't do my job without them- add me ANYONE. :)
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Im an RN in ED, have worked in various areas over the years. Once you have finished studying its much easier to priortise time to exercise, you still don't eat the best once your working quick breaks, eating on the run or just not eating at all but being mindful of what you are eating when you get a chance helps. I always have a stack of healthy grab and go food in my locker instead of caving to the patient left overs, desserts etc loitering in the staff fridge.
    Good luck
  • MariaMangoes
    MariaMangoes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im a RPN, really piled on the pounds during my final year of School (20+). I finished up in Sept and have been takin some time out until now, let the interviews begin...:D so far down 6 pounds (before MFP) and have another 30 to go.

Would love some fellow nurse friends...:)

Good luck everyone

X :) X