Carbs

Options
How many carbs should I be eating to lose weight? Does the amount of carbs matter if I'm getting in my protein and calorie goals?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I do not think carbs are evil. I have my carbs set at 55% of my macros. I lost all my weight just fine.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    How many carbs should I be eating to lose weight? Does the amount of carbs matter if I'm getting in my protein and calorie goals?

No, as long as you are getting enough fat.
  • donjessop
    Options
    Recommended protein intake is at least 0.37 grams per pound of body weight. The recommended minimum for carbs is 100 grams. (Both numbers from the Institute of Medicine.) If you add in a lot of exercise you will need to increase the protein intake to compensate.

If you keep those numbers in mind and eat at a calorie deficit you'll be fine. Whether or not you eat more carbs or fewer carbs depends on you personally. I have Type II Diabetes so I need to keep my carbs lower than someone else. I have also significantly increased my exercise level so I needed to increase my proteins. Both of these are specific to me, however, and should not be taken as "you must do it this way".

Listen to your body and do what feels good.
  • lima013
    lima013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My macros is at 40c/30p/30f and loosing weight with no problems at all. Eat your carbs, everything in moderation is good.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    However many you want, as long as you stay under a certain threshold of CALORIES. If you want to lose weight, you're going to have to count calories. There's no bargaining with this axiom.
  • keepcalmandlose89
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is really comforting advice!