Birth Control Pills

Options
Well I just started taking birth control pill and I know they tend to make you gain weight (especially if you are me). I have lost 25 pounds so far and I have only 4 pounds to go before I reach my goal weight. It would break my heart to have to back track just because of some pills. As long as I am working out and watching what I eat I should be ok...shouldn't I?

Replies

• CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say, everyone's different. But, it sounds like you know your body.
    You *may* gain weight? You may not. But if you do, is it enough of a reason to
    spiral you out of control? Just keep plugging away, you won't regret it.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Birth control pills do not make you gain weight. There has been a study that found that the only form of birth control that makes you gain weight is Depo Provera.
  • emay45
    emay45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Then why do they bother listing weight change as a side effect? How bothersome! I know I gained weight last time but maybe that was for another reason then?
  • takethepieces
    Options
    Birth control pills can make you gain weight but ONLY because they increase your appetite or cravings for 'bad' things. If you stick to your calorie goal, you'll be fine.
  • omidgett
    Options
    My doctor told me the pills don't make you gain weight. For the first month it makes your body feel like it's PMSing so your more hungry, so you tend to eat more but if you track what you eat you won't gain weight
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ive got the depo shot two months ago and ive been losing still. i get raging munchies sometimes but i just make sure to munch on good for stuff like celery n salsa w laughing cow cheese yummmmm and also work out it helps settle the cravings sometimes. thats the only thing that sux u just get mad munchies out of now where but its like if u werent on anything too and its that time of the month the cravings come also. it just sux being a chick doesnt it lol
  • emay45
    emay45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah good to know! I am not on depo so that is a big plus I suppose.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Birth control pills are high levels of hormones, specifically Estrogen. High levels of estrogen can make you gain fat and bloat whether you are male or female.