LCHF

Options
I recently just read an article on LCHF/Paleo eating. So I researched a few more, and a few more after that.
For anyone who has tried this/is involved in this kind of diet, do you have any tips or recipes you'd recommend?

Thank you so much :)

Replies

• soyasee
    soyasee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi. After losing most of my weight using the Atkins method and then using a rotational diet where I picked certain foods from a list and it would generated a diet for me, I went into a standstill and didn't lose anymore. But it was a good thing that I didn't gain any of it back either. I still have much weight to lose, like 65 lbs.

I came across LCHF and decided to try it, I've been in in a little over a week and I'm just starting to lose weight . I like it a lot especially since I like cream & certain fats that I think I'll be able to handle it for awhile, especially if I continue to see weight loss. :-)

I did a google search putting in words like LCHF, Low Carb High Fat, (not Paleo or Caveman) and found information and recipes that way but I don't really see any other boards or forums that I would join. If you or anyone else does, I hope they'll pass that information on.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    LCHF/Paleo is how I lost most of my weight. If you are having trouble getting in enough fat, try making some mayo & ranch. They are both delicious on everything (steak, burgers, sweet potato fries, veggies, even eggs!). Here's my recipes:

http://mypathtopaleo.blogspot.com/2012/07/traveling-perfect-ranch-dressingdip.html
  • soyasee
    soyasee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Recipe! I'll have to check out your blog. :-)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm doing keto, rather than paleo. My advice is to load up on fat bomb recipes and make as many that can fit in your freezer.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm doing keto, rather than paleo. My advice is to load up on fat bomb recipes and make as many that can fit in your freezer.

What kind of meals do you do?

I am doing LeanGains (intermittent fasting) and on days where I don't workout, my protein and fats are up, while carbs are low.....
    The goal is <100 gr.
    Find that hard to do, I can hit ~150 gr....
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have PCOS and this is the best diet for me. I am not currently on it as I am pregnant and I am following my doctors orders with diet. But I love the lifestyle and I highly recommend it!! The best resources I have found:

www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

www.reddit.com/r/keto - particularly check out the sidebar and use all the resources there!

www.reddit.com/r/xxketo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkdFkPxxDG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NImxgj2I4_M

There are several groups on here too so definitely search for "keto".

Definitely research this completely! It is a lifestyle change that isn't great for everyone but if you can stick with it, I know for me it made all the difference in the world in my life!

The things that made my life easier when switching:

Drink a TON of water!! I got an app on my phone called "Water my Body". I took what the recommendation was for my weight and added 20% because you need more water with LCHF particularly in the first few weeks.

Get your electrolytes!! Drink broth, add salt to everything, eat veggies high in potassium, take a supplement if you need to!

Find a high fat product that you really love and for the first few weeks, when you crave carbs, eat that thing that you love instead! After a week or two doing this, you will start to crave that high fat thing instead and even though it might give you a fat boost, that is way better than eating carbs and exacerbating the cravings! Also, it is recommended to avoid artificial sweeteners for at least the first week to keep the cravings at bay. Personally, I can't use them at all because they taste horrid to me so that wasn't an issue for me.

Don't expect the first week to be wonderful/great/weight loss heaven! It sucks! You might lose a decent amount of weight but you might not! It just depends on the person. You will feel like crap because you are going through carb flu.

Especially for women, it is important to track calories, but don't do it for the first 1-2 weeks! This is an adjustment period where it is more important to get the right carb/protein/fat ratios than calories. Don't stress when you eat a ton of calories in that time...because your body is freaking out about the lack of carbs.

Good luck!! Friend me if you want but just know my diary isn't going to help right now :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If folks start to de-reail your thread telling YOU that YOU don't need to eat a particular way (happens a lot here), know that there are low carb groups, and paelo groups where folks will be happy to give you the info you're seeking.

Best of luck with whatever (healthy) approach up the mountain you choose!
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I just started seeing a nutritionist and am following a similar eating regimen to combat inflammation. It has worked wonders for me thus far. I recommend ghee (or clarified butter) to add fats to your meals. It is easy to make and delicious. I eat 2 tsp at every meal. My only carbs are a daily salad (with a tsp of coconut or olive oil). I am allowed oatmeal and dark chocolate, but I do not like oatmeal and I was overeating the dark chocolate.

I was not familiar with LCHF but will look it up.

Over 12 lbs lost in less than a week. Working on a thirty-five pound gain from a low cholesterol diet - ugh!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

What kind of meals do you do?

I am doing LeanGains (intermittent fasting) and on days where I don't workout, my protein and fats are up, while carbs are low.....
    The goal is <100 gr.
    Find that hard to do, I can hit ~150 gr....

It kind of depends on the days of the week. If it's a weight training day, I try to eat more protein, which means either a chicken salad, or a salad with turkey, egg omelette for breakfast with cheese and usually tuna for dinner. I also eat many fat bombs during the course of the day to keep the fats up. If it's not a weight day, I try to eat more low carb veggies, like spinach and broccoli and cauliflower.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Rgr that.
    Thank you.
  • Twargo3
    Options
    following....
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If you're going to increase your fats, especially if you get it from red meat and whole eggs, you need to get a lipid panel test. I was on LCHF and it raised my total cholesterol above 300 which is considered ridiculously high, and my ratios were not good either.
  • Joe_pat
    Options
    I recently just read an article on LCHF/Paleo eating. So I researched a few more, and a few more after that.
    For anyone who has tried this/is involved in this kind of diet, do you have any tips or recipes you'd recommend?

Thank you so much :)
    LCHF is really helpful for those people having health problem. Also i visited due to my weakness problem then found lots of useful advice related to diet that I can't explain in the words and I'm following it.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    I follow the Paleo lifestyle.
    Some Facebook pages with awesome recipes are:
    Ditch the Wheat
    DJFoodie
    Edify
    Low Carb Eating
    The Civilized Caveman
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm doing keto, my good diary is open and you're welcome to add me as a friend :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're going to increase your fats, especially if you get it from red meat and whole eggs, you need to get a lipid panel test. I was on LCHF and it raised my total cholesterol above 300 which is considered ridiculously high, and my ratios were not good either.
    Hmmm. Most folks I know have the opposite result.
  • rosanna421
    rosanna421 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What about for the last 10 pounds, would this work?