Meal Ideas on a Budget

Options
I need some ideas on how to eat healthy when I have $50.00 a week to spend on food for two people. We've been relying on a lot of cheap food and it's taking a toll on our health. I am a lousy cook and I get so depressed because everything tastes like crap. I love healthy food. I am looking to avoid carbs and sugars.

My criteria:

Cheap
Healthy
Easy to make

Replies

• blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's a UK site but has super cheap recipes - some are healthier than others: http://agirlcalledjack.com/category/recipes-food-etc/

Meals based around eggs or beans are usually fairly cheap. Cheaper than meat, anyway.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Pork ribs. Cook 'em slowly in the oven for a few hours in BBQ sauce or another marinade of your choice (homemade or otherwise). Eat with a salad or veggies. One rack feeds 2 people and costs £3 ish from Morrison's.

Noodles and chicken with veg is also cheap and healthy.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    cous cous, beans, butternut squash, maize meal.. all very cheap and can be made to taste awesome.

Check my diary out for ideas, I probably spend £10 a week on food for myself and I get plenty of variety. Love doing things like stuffed peppers, pasta or other vegetable bakes, mediterranean or moroccan inspired medleys. This makes me sound like a vegetarian but I love meat, but the fact is it's just not very affordable so I've cut down my meat intake vastly. Cheese is another thing that has gone from being a regular thing to an occasional treat, other than low fat cottage cheese which is £1 for a tub, low calorie and will last me the best part of a week with my lunches :smile:
  • kazhill
    Options
    I'm a poverty stricken student and my advice is to go veggie. I made a weeks worth of dinners for £3! I don't know if you like curry but here's a tasty recipe for potato and lentil curry. (serves 5, 239 calories without rice) :)

Ingredients:
    1 x onion
    2 x big potatoes chopped into large chunks
    2 x carrots
    3 x tomatoes
    1 cup lentils
    4 cloves garlic
    small piece of ginger
    1 x tsp salt
    2 x tsp cumin
    1 x tbsp curry powder
    Peel and chop up all yer veg.
    Dice the onion and finely chop ginger and garlic.
    Fry the onion in pan along with the spices & salt until onions are softened (the spices stick to the pan but dinnae worry too much cos it comes off once you add the boiling water).
    Add chopped veg and lentils to pan, mix all together so everything's coated in the spices.
    Add 5 cups of boiling water.
    Leave to cook.
    Et voila!
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I made a really nice meal the other day, literally making it up there and then.

1 tin non drain tuna (130g) (does not have to be non drain, but other than in spring water which its my preference)
    Pepper (1/2)
    Spring Onion (can swap for white or red)
    Carrott (a few small or 1 large)
    Courgette (1/2)
    Mushroom (3/4 sliced)
    Sweetcorn (1/2 small tin)
    Plain Rice (100g white or brown)
    Soy Sauce (for a little added flavour)

Put the rice on to boil, Popped the veg in a wok when the rice was half done. Added some soy sauce and just as the rice was almost ready added the tuna.

I put the "Tuna medley" on top of the rice, but you could add the rice into the wok and mix it up, depending on your preference.

The most expensive part of the meal was the tinned tuna, it was filling and low in cals. You wanted to avoid carbs and this has rice, but im sure if you do 50grams dry each it will be fine.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I need some ideas on how to eat healthy when I have $50.00 a week to spend on food for two people. We've been relying on a lot of cheap food and it's taking a toll on our health. I am a lousy cook and I get so depressed because everything tastes like crap. I love healthy food. I am looking to avoid carbs and sugars.

My criteria:

Cheap
    Healthy
    Easy to make

The only way to stop being a lousy cook is to practice. Go to allrecipes.com and put easy in the title of whatever you want to cook. I feed a family of 6 on $150/week. My diary is open, go look at what we eat. Disclaimer: my doctor swears it's not healthy, but all of my lab numbers make her happy. I say it's real food the way God made it grow, it's just not conventional wisdom on nutrition. I eat gluten free so it can be done cheaper than I do it as far as breads and breaded items go. Don't be afraid of canned vegetables, they are better than nothing when you are on a budget. If you know you are going to eat it today or tomorrow, my grocery has a rack of reduce price produce, get it and eat it.

Easy meal that will stretch a long way for two people:
    1 lb lower fat ground beef (85/15 or 90/10) or you can use ground turkey, whichever is cheaper.
    8 oz tomato paste (If you like chunky tomatoes, you can use a can of diced. Drain it if you like thick chili. My kids aren't fans of chunks of tomato and the paste gives the flavor and enough in terms of nutrition.)
    2 cans Chili Magic

Brown the ground beef over medium high heat in a 2 qt sauce pan and break it up into small (but bigger than for a taco) pieces as you brown it. (I use a wooden spoon for this. It works better than plastic.) When the meat is all browned, reduce the heat to medium and stir in the Chili Magic and tomato and cook to a low boil (just begins to bubble on the surface). Reduce to medium low and cook another 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips and shredded cheese

That feeds my whole family one meal. You can buy freezer safe containers, cook it freeze some and microwave it when you are in a hurry or just ready for chili again.

P.S. Don't let cost talk you out of extra virgin olive oil and real butter. Big flavor for a small amount of fat. I use less of both of those than I do other oils and margarine so it evens out in the budget.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

My criteria:

Cheap
    Healthy
    Easy to make

If you are looking to avoid carbs then some of these suggestions may not work for you but for what its worth (less than $50 I hope)

Look for cheaper cuts of meat and use it as a smaller part of your meals. I look out for beef skirt or shin, chicken thighs in the UK are a lot cheaper than chicken breast, however cheaper still is the whole chicken and rather than just roast it you can pot roast it then use the meat in different meals and you have an instant stock for a chicken soup as well which can be loaded with veggies and some meat from the chicken.

Pulses are great, red lentil Dahl if you,like curry's, I use green lentils to bulk out minced beef in lasagne or cottage pie and Puy lentils cooked in stock and combined with chopped herbs (grow these on your window sill) make a great base or side dish. Dried beans are also very filling, soaked then cooked and turned into soups etc (plenty of recipes around for these)

Pasta and rice are staples for me but then I am not watching my carbs although I do eat whole wheat were I can because I find them more filling

Oatmeal or eggs for breakfast keep me feeling full through to lunch time so would recommend these

Also add in loads of veg particularly those that are on offer

Now this final one saved me a lot of money this summer, grow some vegetables in containers if you don't have a big garden. I grew climbing beans, potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini and chard in a few pots or bags from seed and had my own fresh, organic veggies through the summer
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Easy, full-proof and cheap. I'm pretty sure they even sell frozen onions and peppers together to save even more...you can even make your own chicken broth (or use veggie). Only about 160 calories a serving and really filling.

Spicy Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup (serves 6)
    Ingredients:
    • 1lb of dry black beans, soaked overnight
    • 4 tsp of diced jalepenos
    • ½ onion, chopped
    • 6 cups of chicken broth
    • ½ tsp garlic powder
    • 1 tbsp chili powder
    • 1 tsp cumin
    • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
    • ¾ tsp black pepper
    • ½ tsp hot sauce

Directions:
    1. Drain black beans, and rinse.
    2. Combine beans, jalapenos, and chicken broth in a slow cooker. Season with garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
    3. Cook on High for 4 hours. Reduce heat to Low, and continue cooking for 2 hours, or until you are ready to eat.
  • jolancy
    jolancy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to shop smart, and make the best use of leftovers, for example I often buy a chicken for a Sunday roast, then use the leftovers (and carcass for stock - no waste at all!) to make a chicken stew, chicken pasta bake, paella, soup, anything! Out of 1 chicken, I can generally get enough meat off of it to feed two of us for 3-4 evening meals (same idea works for beef, pork, any type of Sunday roast joint). And the freezer is your friend, frozen fish (often much cheaper than fresh!) is fab for making things like fish pies, frozen veggies are a god send as you only use what you need and you don't have to worry about it going off before it's been used, and take advantage of in-store offers on meat when you can and freeze it in portions for use when you need it.
  • wwhite72082
    wwhite72082 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like to make Steel Cut Oats, in a slow cooker, for Breakfast. A 24oz bag costs something like $5 at the grocery store and I can get 2 batches out of a bag (Almost 2 weeks depending on how large a serving you portion out - I like ~1.5 cups).

I'm really picky about fruit and won't eat apples or bananas if they have been sitting around too long. The Steel Cut Oats are great for this as it allows me to use up fruit that might otherwise go to waste. Even if you were to buy fruit specifically for the oats, the meal is pretty inexpensive and goes a long way.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Theres a website called PlantBasedOnABudget.com, they're doing a $25/week per person meal plan coming up in November. Because it's all fiber-rich, nutritionally dense food, you'll be getting the biggest bang for your buck AND actually feel satisfied.

You can also check out the 100 Days of Real Food website - she did a similar challenge a while back that was also fairly healthy and budget friendly
  • coffins
    coffins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try this blog site - http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/
    The site also has a recipe index.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

My criteria:

Cheap
    Healthy
    Easy to make

Mac n Cheese

Scrambled Eggs

Grilled Cheese

Fried Rice

PB&J

Hamburgers

Beans and rice
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I buy ground turkey on sale and then freeze it. Some ideas:

Turkey Burgers
    Turkey Meatloaf
    Boiled Eggs
    Stuff Peppers
    Rice
    Beans
    PB&J on whole grain
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Here's a great idea for a whole chicken - makes 3 meals for a family of four. I serve with extra veggies to serve 6 people and I use corn starch instead of flour in the first recipe. I also use corn tortillas for the second recipe.

http://leanneely.com/2009/rubber-chicken/
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

My criteria:

Cheap
    Healthy
    Easy to make

(i) You need to find bulk or discounted bargain fresh produce and food stores/warehouses.

(ii) What to stock? Pasta, Beans (all kinds), lentils (all kinds), rice (white is the most affordable), flour, canned and/or frozen vegetables and fruits. If you buy nuts like almond in bulk, you'll be able to make your very own almond milk, saving a lot of money. Large bags are around $5 to $15 for bulk purchases and can last you weeks, if not months. Choose what you know you'll both enjoy cooked in different ways.

(iii) Teach yourself to coupon-shop for dairy (ice cream/gelato, cheeses, milk, yoghurt), oils (& butters), sauces, condiments, meats, salads and deserts to affordably variate your menu via more renowned labels.

(iv) Container, wall, hanging or backyard vegetables/herbs gardening to supplement your table. Seeds should be available via the bargain food stores, like Costco, Walmart.

(v) Look for seasonings like 5 spice, Taco, Italian, curry spice etc which are all premixed to save you from having to buy individual spices/herbs.

(vi) Consider chicken and pork for they tend to be the most affordable. Turkey qualifies, depending on the cut. Organ meats are also affordable, if you can bring yourself to eating it.

(vii) With fresh veggies, consider the season and almost out of season. Depending, it can either jack up the price or you can get a bargain. Right now, pumpkins will qualify. The stores are desperate to rid themselves of stock post-Halloween. Think of gutting, chopping and freezing for later use.

(viii) Get a Crock Pot.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Theres a website called PlantBasedOnABudget.com, they're doing a $25/week per person meal plan coming up in November. Because it's all fiber-rich, nutritionally dense food, you'll be getting the biggest bang for your buck AND actually feel satisfied.

You can also check out the 100 Days of Real Food website - she did a similar challenge a while back that was also fairly healthy and budget friendly

Thanks this sounds awesome!
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone!
  • alyangel123
    alyangel123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We shop at save-a-lot, roughly 50 a fortnight for food. We buy the cheapest chicken and sausages and sometimes mince meat, frozen veg, what ever is on sale for sandwich fillings, cereal, pasta, rice, flour, pasta sauce, bread, a couple bags of easy quick frozen meals for days where I'm busy and even beer for my husband. With that list I can make a whole variety of meals.

http://www.supercook.com/ will allow you to put in the ingredients and show you what kind of meals you can make out of what you have.

I love my crock-pot, I'm not a great cook so just combining everything and whaking it into a pot that cooks everything for me, and still tastes great, is so helpful. You can make so many cheap meals with a crock-pot, I usually make enough to last for lunch the next day for my husband, that way the bread and other assorted bits and pieces last longer in the house.

I buy some things in bulk and then freeze it so it doesn't go bad. Fresh vegetables tend to end up costing too much as I use them in every meal, so we stick to frozen or canned. We never go hungry and always have plenty to eat even on that tight of a budget for food. I'm lucky as family here grow some fruit and veg in their gardens, so every so often we'll get a treat, this week we got star fruit! Yummy. So perhaps starting your own garden will be helpful.

Oh...meat markets, they tend to have cheap meat in bulk too