Plank/shoulders (ouch)

Options
I do a lot of sport and exercise - not that it looks like it but...

I couldn't run, and I recently completed the c-to-5k running podcasts and now run 30 mins without stopping - proper proud of myself - just hoping can keep it up over Winter.

My next challenge is the plank - I am positively useless at it. I am so poor I have to do it with my knees down and am finally at c.2 mins but with knees up I still struggle from 20 secs.... it is NOT my core that's the problem, I can do lots of other core exercises but it is my shoulders, holding my own weight up is painful and my shoulders simply can't hack it... so in order to improve my plank, what else can I be doing?

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I suspect the problem is your form. The back and traps shouldn't sag, i.e. your shoulders should be in line with or slightly lower than your traps (your traps and shoulders should be engaged). Your glutes and core should be engaged. Your head to your heels should be a straight line. Sometimes my butt ends up slightly higher, but that is to prevent it from dipping down below a straight line. If you have proper form and can only do 20 seconds, then do that until you can get to 30 seconds. And then continue to progress.
  • hnsr1021
    hnsr1021 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    "Bumping" this to hopefully get answers for myself too. Sorry I am of no help. I suspect my problem is just upper body weakness. lol
  • AmandaJaneGoodwin
    Options
    I wonder if its how you are holding yourself while you are planking --- try shifting your weight from your shoulders more to your hips and feet. When Im tired or not feeling it I can feel myself not focussing on my core and putting too much strain on my upper body ...also sometimes when something hurts you forget to focus on keeping your core tight and you end up supporting all your weight with your arms.

Maybe focus on planks with your forearms on the mat and knees up next, once you can hold that for 2-3 minutes comfortable try going to your hands...just remember theyre HARD, so start slow, 30 seconds is not bad, you add 5 seconds each time you will be at 2 minutes in no time.

I like to meditate a little when i plank, i pretend i am floating in the pool --- makes it easier :-)
    Goodluck!
  • kbcara
    kbcara Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a great personal trainer so I know it is my shoulders and not my form... but it's a shared session - we do some generic work to improve my shoulders but as both myself and my training partner are focused on weight loss we don't spend too much time on this , so am hoping to work on this in my own time as it needs no equipment (though I do have free weights and kettle bells at home). I will of course ask him when I see him tomorrow for some at home exercises but I also wondered if others on here have experienced this problem that they may have other suggestions/personal experience of what worked for them. I have moved from not holding myself up at all to 2 mins (on my knees) but my full plank has barely progressed and after some time I feel it simply won't if I don't work on my shoulders.
  • kbcara
    Options
    --- try shifting your weight from your shoulders more to your hips and feet. When Im tired or not feeling it I can feel myself not focussing on my core and putting too much strain on my upper body ...also sometimes when something hurts you forget to focus on keeping your core tight and you end up supporting all your weight with your arms.

I like to meditate a little when i plank, i pretend i am floating in the pool --- makes it easier :-)

Thanks, will try and evaluate if this part of the problem... will concentrate on this tomorrow...!
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have a great personal trainer so I know it is my shoulders and not my form... but it's a shared session - we do some generic work to improve my shoulders but as both myself and my training partner are focused on weight loss we don't spend too much time on this , so am hoping to work on this in my own time as it needs no equipment (though I do have free weights and kettle bells at home). I will of course ask him when I see him tomorrow for some at home exercises but I also wondered if others on here have experienced this problem that they may have other suggestions/personal experience of what worked for them. I have moved from not holding myself up at all to 2 mins (on my knees) but my full plank has barely progressed and after some time I feel it simply won't if I don't work on my shoulders.

Your trainer will probably provide a good plan for your shoulders, but you'll want to do twice as much pulling work than pushing in order to strengthen your rotator cuff, as it lags the delts.
  • kbcara
    Options
    ...you'll want to do twice as much pulling work than pushing in order to strengthen your rotator cuff, as it lags the delts.

Excellent, thanks for this info!