NSV: "Oh, you're too skinny for the sale items"

Went on a quick trip to grab some workout shorts this morning; asked if they had any on sale. The saleswoman just said, "Oh! You're too skinny for those. We only have XL and above on sale."

As someone who, at one point, was dipping regularly into XXL clothes in some brands, it was a shock to have someone instantly size me up just by looking at me as being smaller than an XL. And I think this is the first time in my life I've been "too skinny" for anything. Too fat to sit (comfortably) in a roller coaster, maybe. Never too skinny.

Now I'm a big guy anyway, about 6'4'', so even if I were a skeleton I don't think I'd fit into anything smaller than a large size shirt just due to the width of my shoulders. So I figured now that I'm wearing Large clothes that's about as small as I'd go.

So she helped me pick out some running shorts, and when she asked me what size I am I said "Large". But then she asked, okay, but what size waist are you? So I told her and she said, "let's try out a large and a medium".

Anyway I tried on the medium and holy crap they fit. I don't think I've ever been a medium size anything.

So, yeah, nothing terribly exciting, but it really made my morning.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    That is an awesome NSV. I am also a bigger person being female and 5'8" but I've started to get side eye from women my previous size when I'm scooping up the clearance at plus stores (which tends to be more like size 14-16 and then 26-28, very few of the 18-24 which more plus shoppers buy). It's a good feeling!
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Nice work, that's great NSV. Thanks for sharing
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    That's a great reward for your hard work. Well done!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Amazing NSV!!! Congrats :-)
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Fantastic NSV - well done :)
  • What a great feeling! Congrats!
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Awesome NSV!!!! Gratz on your progress!
  • Predsfan2013
    Predsfan2013 Posts: 64 Member
    That is great. Adding some pep to your step today :)
  • that's an amazing accomplishment and a great feeling I'm sure. congratulations!
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Great story and I'm so happy for you. I am a tall woman at 5'11.5 I always just say six feet. I do know the feeling. :) Yesterday I found a silver bracelet at my daughters apartment complex picked it up and put in on my wrist. Later that day I turned it into the office. My daughter works there. I told her about the bracelet and she took it off my wrist to put in the lost and found. She showed it to her manager. The manager says this is a child's bracelet no adult could wear this. I said I have had it on all day. She looked at me and said this fits on your wrist. My daughter says I just took it off her. The shocked look was priceless.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    What an amazing story!!! Great job!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    That is a great NVS! Congrats - you must feel like a million bucks today!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    That's great! Congrats to you! :smile:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    GREAT Work!!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    That's awesome! Congrats!!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    awww :) That's awesome :)
  • atlraine
    atlraine Posts: 172 Member
    Fantastic NSV!! Keep up the good work and relish in the fact that you can fit size medium. All your hard work is paying off. :0)
  • lynnkieu
    lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
    That is wonderful. What a great feeling!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    I really like your NSV!! It's great being told, you're too skinny for something, when it's been the other way around all of your life...

I know...because I too am moving to that other end of the spectrum. Always a bit surprised when someone says, oh no that won't fit you, that's too big. I'm like...Are you talking to me???

Cheers to your success!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    There is just something about hearing something like that from someone you don't know... Rock on wit'cher bad self!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!