Losing weight but not inches?

Options
Hi - I wondering. I've lost 5 pounds in the past 2 months that I've been exercising. How long does it take before I see some inches lost. I'm still motivated as the pounds come off, but I'm feeling I should be seeing some inches come off too. Am I doing something wrong? I do 1 1/2 hours of cardio 4 days a week and two days classes in yoga and pilates in between.

Replies

• GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    That's kinda the opposite of what happened to me...lost inches but not that much weight!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of cardio, why not try adding strength training to your program.
    Be sure you are eating at least some of you exercise calories to ensure you have enough fuel.
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    That's kinda the opposite of what happened to me...lost inches but not that much weight!
    I'm the same way as GinaB30. I've been on MFP since August and so far I've only lost 2 lbs but like a total of 8-10 inches all over. So, I'll just say give it some time and keep doing what you're doing. It will all catch up and balance out.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Hi. Now see, I am having the opposite problem. I am stuck between 10 - 12 pounds lost but I'm losing the inches. I focus a LOT on strength training which is where most of my inches lost came from. I love the machines that focus on glutes, abs and thighs! I can spend an hour at the gym just working those machines.

I'm actually going to change up my routine so that out of the 3 days at the gym only 1 day focuses on strength training and the rest is all cardio. Plus I do Zumba twice a week. I'm also increasing my cal intake by 300 / day to try to jump start again and get out of the stagnant place!
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    it's hard to say what you can do without seeing what you may be eating. Slow and steady is good on weight loss though. How many calories,fat,sugar,salt,carbs may all contribute to slow weight loss. For me bread slows my weight loss. Just make sure you eat your calories,drink plenty of water watch your salt and fat and go from there. Maybe ramp up your exercise if everything is in check. Sometimes we need to boost our workout to get our loss to kick in again. Good Luck on your journey.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Weight and size distribution are all up to the body- I've lost almost 10 lbs and barely more than an inch at any 1 place on my body- my distribution is even and kind of slow going, my mom and brother are the same way. I would say just keep up what you are doing, make sure you are fueling and resting enough (just as important as exercising and not over eating) and it will come off its own way.
  • macarman
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I started doing the strength training, but stopped that for a while, guess I need to go back to doing it again. I started doing some weight work at home, I'll keep that up for another month and it nothing has changed then I guess I need to go back to the machines. I've been on a 1200 calorie diet and staying usually waaaaaayyyyy below that. I have a diet shake for breakfast, a yogurt and perhaps a lettuce wrap for lunch an a regular dinner. My partner cooks and although he says he's dieting he still cooks the same way. He does at least use olive oil, but mostly all meat and starches (potatoes, rice, pasta). Will keep up
    what I've got going and keep you posted. "Friend" me if you want. I love to see how everyone is doing.:happy:
  • nuttybuttersmommy
    nuttybuttersmommy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I started doing the strength training, but stopped that for a while, guess I need to go back to doing it again. I started doing some weight work at home, I'll keep that up for another month and it nothing has changed then I guess I need to go back to the machines. I've been on a 1200 calorie diet and staying usually waaaaaayyyyy below that. I have a diet shake for breakfast, a yogurt and perhaps a lettuce wrap for lunch an a regular dinner. My partner cooks and although he says he's dieting he still cooks the same way. He does at least use olive oil, but mostly all meat and starches (potatoes, rice, pasta). Will keep up
    what I've got going and keep you posted. "Friend" me if you want. I love to see how everyone is doing.:happy:

Just as a note, our bodies need 1200 cals a day... eating less than that our bodies go in to starvation mode and will store all the cals it can. especially if your exercising...