Bad day binges HELP!

Options
Hi I am feeling very low today. Long story short split from husband 5 months ago, haven't seen him since. Because of this I am now a single mum of 10 month baby living back with parents.

Today things have just got to me. I want my own place, I would love some me time but have to be there for my boy as the dad doesn't want to know. So basically it has been a hard day, everything has got to me and all I want to do is fill my face of chocolate.

It is taking all my effort not to go the shops, I need help.

So if you were an emotional eater what stopped you binging on bad days???

Replies

• linzchapates
    Options
    Good morning! 10 months, must be about to walk soon? I am a single mom of a soon to be 5 year old Daughter. I've been single and raising her on my own since she was 18 months. I understand where you are coming from.

I too am an emotional eater... food is a comfort for me. You have to find things that make you happy, you have to force yourself to step outside your comfort zone and try new things.... I signed up for the community bowling league. I can bring my little girl with me so I don't have to worry about sitters and I met some amazing people... going out to just this 2 hour thing every week led to tournaments, dinners, birthdays and before you know it I had an amazing social circle all the while being a single mom.

Add me, I'd love to be your friend :) We are stronger than we give ourselves credit for.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Pamper yourself in a non stuffing face way. Can you chat with a friend, get a hug, take a walk or have bath or do your nails. I totally understand why you want to stuff your face but it won't make you feel better, only worse as guilt sucks.
    I look through the success stories when I need a boost of motivation.
    Best of luck ????????
  • Don't beat yourself up. We all have slip-ups and eat some bad food sometimes. But hey, pick yourself and get back on that healthy horse of yours. That's what i'm doing. I work in sales and this past week has been super hectic with closing out the month and I haven't tracked and eaten a little too much candy, but that's okay! I'm back at it today and just going to focus on improving.

YOU are your own worst enemy! It's gonna get better
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    find something to busy your time with. take the little one out for a stroll, read a book, find a new hobby. i like the bowling league suggestions.
    eda has awesome in person meetings and phone meetings for anyone with disordered eating habits, they are really helpful you can talk on the phone once a week about the emotions you feel when you want to binge and the leader and others in the meeting offer amazing support.
    drink some water and find a healthy snack to replace the chocolates.
    definitely keep busy though, learn the guitar. i find i can't stuff my face while both hands are being used while playing the guitar and singing
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,011 Member
    Options
    Agree find something nonfood wise that will make uou feel better, eating will only make u feel better for a few minutes then u will feel worse. I know all aboutnemotional eating that is why I was 100+lbs ovetweight. Maybe you can find a walking group for moms like stroller strides or see if your mom will watch yhe little one and go get a facial, manicure something if u go to the heauty college it is cheaper or the reflexology is only $20 alot of places gor an hr ....hugs if u must treat yourself to food find something lower in cals that is a treat like starbucks nonfat drink or nonfat frozen yogurt
  • EatingWellToo
    EatingWellToo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of suggesting reflexology too - if you can afford it, MUCH cheaper than massage and a great once-a-month treat to relax and reset your brain chemistry. To the poster, I just want to say you are young and have your WHOLE life ahead of you! I know it feels hard but look forward, not back, and look at all the progress you've made so far on your weight. All your challenges make you stronger, I know it. As far as comfort food, try something with complex carbohydrates and natural sweetness, like a small baked sweet potato with some cinnamon and 1/4 cup light coconut milk to make it "mashed." That always works for me and has great mouth feel. Hugs from half a world away on a sunny morning in San Diego!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    There's light at the end of the tunnel. Just keep walking towards it, one day at a time. I raised a great kid to adulthood by myself so you can, too. As a fat child, and struggling with weight all my adult life, I didn't want my kid to struggle with that as well. I wanted to be a good example to her and teach her, as I learned along the way, how to eat right and stay relatively fit. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for your kid. He will take his cues about how to handle stress from you so find some healthy ways to react to stress instead of eating.
    On the practical side, I found cooked legumes of all kinds tamp down those carbohydrate cravings. I eat whole fruit of all kinds for the sweet cravings. I keep veggies chopped and ready to snack on, too. I knit and quilt (keeps my hands busy and my mind occupied) as a soothing stress reliever. If you have a bike, strap baby to your back and go for a ride. Or a walk. Get outdoors.
    "Adversity builds character." was one of my father's favorite sayings. It's true.
    We are stronger than we think.