Started 2 workout routines and gained 2lbs...HELP

Options
OK so i started two new work out routines that are muscle based this is what i have been doing:

workout #1:
60 lunges
45 push ups (girl ones lol)
150 crunches

work #2
planking challage 30day:
up to 40sec plank

i dont understand why ive gained weight? i have been within my calorie intake. i need some insight because this is getting discouraging since i lost 2 an gained it right back. this journey to knock off the pound is seeming impossible :(

any help/advise would be much appreciated!!!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Water weight. It's common for muscles to retain water when you start a new workout routine.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Water Retention.

When you start a new workout regimen, or up the intensity of a workout regimen your body retains water for repair until your body adapts.
  • Lotus1026
    Options
    even if i havent been drinking a ton of water? thanks for the feedback!
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate a lot in a day. Weigh yourself once a week. Don't get discouraged, stick with it.
  • KatSpain6
    KatSpain6 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat, if you're building muscle it's common to gain weight, and completely worth it because the more muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest. don't worry it's a good thing just keep at it and make sure to eat clean and you'll have no problem losing fat.
    remember it's not about the number on the scale, it's about your body fat percentage, which can decrease weight gain/loss or without a change in weight at all.
  • Lotus1026
    Options
    thats a great point i didnt even think about the body fat percentage going down with the muscle gain. im deff going to stick with it ive noticed some toning happening already which is great i just am a little to cofused on the scale since im so overweight sometimes. thanks for the feedback!
  • DeeGreen1978
    DeeGreen1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat. when I was horse riding I lost inches but my weight stayed the same
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It's water retention. ANY time you start a new exercise, your muscles will retain water for repair. Don't worry about it, it will go away.

Also, gaining muscle while on a deficit is very difficult to do. There could be "newbie gains", but the reality is that unless you are in a calorie surplus and doing some serious heavy lifting, you're probably not gaining muscle. It's water weight.
  • DeeGreen1978
    DeeGreen1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    wow I didn't know that!! there is so much to this dieting and exercise lark I have yet to learn
  • RGv2
    Options
    thats a great point i didnt even think about the body fat percentage going down with the muscle gain. im deff going to stick with it ive noticed some toning happening already which is great i just am a little to cofused on the scale since im so overweight sometimes. thanks for the feedback!

It's not muscle gain. Muscle mass is extremely hard to gain, and the program you showed is hardly a program that's going to pack on pounds of muscle. There may have been some noob gains, but hardly enough to move the scale, let alone two lbs.

"Toning" is merely the removal of fat from your body that is covering the muscle.

It's water retention.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

It's not muscle gain. Muscle mass is extremely hard to gain, and the program you showed is hardly a program that's going to pack on pounds of muscle. There may have been some noob gains, but hardly enough to move the scale, let alone two lbs.

"Toning" is merely the removal of fat from your body that is covering the muscle.

It's water retention.

This one time I hit the gym and weighed myself after, I was 4 lbs heavier than I was in the morning. It was totally muscle because I lifted weights. I also bulk easily.
  • RGv2
    Options

It's water retention.

This one time I hit the gym and weighed myself after, I was 4 lbs heavier than I was in the morning. It was totally muscle because I lifted weights. I also bulk easily.

:laugh:

In all seriousness OP. My weight can sway up to 6lbs from one day to another dependent upon my workout and intensity.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Water retention, this is normal. My weight change 5lbs in a day. Take measurements.
  • Sarahcuda
    Options
    Like everyone else said, it is water. I know that if I weight myself the morning after an intense strength workout (and all 4 days of strength training are intense) my weight will be higher than if I weigh myself after a night or 2 off.

Don't get discouraged. Especially after a few weeks. Now if you don't see any results and the scale keeps climbing after a few months, THEN it is time to be discouraged and try something new! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    even if i havent been drinking a ton of water? thanks for the feedback!

especially if you haven't been drinking water. you retain even more water if you're not drinking it. that said, any new exercise or increase in intensity is going to cause your muscles to hold more water..this is also the "pump" you see on people right after they've worked out.

also, natural body weight fluctuations average 3-5 Lbs day to day...you have to look at this as a general trend over a longer period of time, not day to day. I'd also suggest doing a bit of research on the actual science in this as well as natural body weight fluctuations...if you fail to understand what's going on, maintenance is going to be a real mind **** for you.