Best exercise regimen for sustained weight loss

Options
Hello MFP users.

A little background: I am 6'3 and fairly overweight. I have been working out (running 3-4 days a week and lifting once a week) and eating really well. So far it has paid dividends.

I am wondering what are the best forms of exercise over a week long period. I go week by week and weigh myself every Saturday.

What has worked best for you all in the past/currently? Thanks for the help.

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Doing calorie deficits every day works wonders for long term sustained weight loss.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    In all honesty the BEST workout is whatever I find fun. If I am having fun doing it then I don't worry much about "am I burning XXX calories?" For example, I play softball 4 days a week, it's fun and I don't really care how many calories I'm burning. Nor do I think about "OMG this is taking forever!"

Weights, treadmills, stationary bikes, DVD programs all get the "When is this going to be over" response. Although I have to force myself to do it in the winter time. It's my "conditioning" for spring runs, rides and games!

So basically the BEST is whatever you will continue to do and have success doing it!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Diet=70%
    Resistance=20%
    Cardio=10%

Your mileage may vary, but the science is that your caloric deficit is the most important part for sustained body fat percentage reduction (NOT just weight loss; FAT loss).

The resistance training is important for retaining or slowly accumulating lean body mass instead of shedding muscle with the fat on the deficit. There's a lot of other reasons, like staving off Osteoporosis and stuff, but lifting heavy is definitely important to incorporate into your weekly regime. If you want complex movements that help the most with body fat reduction, go for squats (http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2013/10/28/how-to-do-the-perfect-squat/), lunges, and deadlifts.

Cardio isn't that important. It's still good to do, just not as beneficial as deficit or resistance. If you run (like i do) you get better at running. Your heart becomes more efficient at pumping blood. Your lungs get better at breathing. You get better circulation in your fingers and toes. I run to burn calories so I can eat more bacon. :) Have you tried HIIT? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training Or are you focusing on long-distance endurance? http://running.about.com/od/marathonprograms/a/marathonbeg.htm
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Fork put-downs. Calorie deficit is by far the most important factor in weight loss.

Exercise for fitness and strength.
  • asmylie80
    asmylie80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That's a great question! I will watch as answers roll in! I find the best exercise for me is anything that I can do daily habitually- Which really doesn't end up being "exercise". I walk my dog everyday, I take the stairs, I stand while I work at the computer, I do all the yard work, I walk to the store instead of drive. For leisure instead of going out to a movie I go kayaking or for a hike, I don't watch TV cut the cable years ago! I think that keeps some of the weight off.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I go swimming 4-5 times a week, usually for at least an hour each time. I find with swimming, it doesn't really feel like a workout, but my HR is constantly raised, more so than when walking/jogging. I lift weight's usually 2-3 times a week also, depending how my arms are after the intense swimming sessions!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calorie deficit. The number one thing for me is eating the right amount of calories my body needs to maintain my current size. The exercising is like the topping on a cake while the diet is the actual cake, the substance. If I overeat, I don't think I could do enough exercises to compensate for that.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have been working out (running 3-4 days a week and lifting once a week) and eating really well. So far it has paid dividends.

You seem to have it pretty much dialled in. Just keep stretching your distance/pace on the runs, and when your body is up for it, maybe add an interval-y type things (hill runs, sprints, whatever), or an extra lifting day.

The key is the deficit, of course.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The best workout/exercise plan you can have is the one you'll stick with. It can take a while to find what works for you, but as long as you're motivated, it'll work. It might be slow, it might be quick. It can be weights or cardio or swimming or martial arts class or even just walking every day. Just do what you love (as long as it's moving!). The more you do, the more stuff you try, the more you'll love it all, the easier it'll be to stay CONSISTENT!

But as people above have stated, fat loss is a lot more about what you put in your body than what you ultimately put out.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for muscle tone/definition. Weight loss is achieved through calorie deficits.

As far as good exercises go, just do something you like, and mix it up every once in a while. Doing one thing gets boring after a while, especially since this is going to be a lifetime thing.