Working out for 3 days then resting for 1 okay?

If i work out monday, tuesday and wednesday is thursday a good day to rest? Then i work out like the next three days. You get the pattern, is that a good system to make sure i get enough rest but still work out enough?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    That could work. You didn't give any specifics about what your "work outs" include, but don't work the same muscles hard two days in a row.

A typical routine might be:
    Day 1 - full body strength training followed by 10-15 minutes cardio
    2 - 45 minutes cardio
    3 - same as day 1
  • So for example:

day 1: full body strength work out
    day 2: jogging for about 40 minutes
    day 3: full body strength work out
    day 4: rest

repeat

is that okay?? sorry for basically repeating what you said, i just want to make sure i understood you right :)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    That could work. You didn't give any specifics about what your "work outs" include, but don't work the same muscles hard two days in a row.

A typical routine might be:
    Day 1 - full body strength training followed by 10-15 minutes cardio
    2 - 45 minutes cardio
    3 - same as day 1

Yeah specifics are important. What muscle groups are you working on which days? For the record, you could hit everything twice a week and be more efficient with your week. You can even do this by splitting up your routine into upper/lower days.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Sounds perfect to me. Full body workouts every other day are one of the best ways of hitting your muscles regularly without overworking them. You're getting a good amount of cardio, and as it's on a different day to your strength workout which means that your cardio won't take away from your strength training and vice versa. And you're getting plenty of rest. Sorted.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    As long as you aren't doing the same muscle groups, strength wise, two days in a row, and are giving yourself breaks, whatever schedule you want is fine. It comes down to what your body can handle and what works in your schedule. I do ST MWF, followed by HIIT or a walk on the treadmill, and cardio, usually a walk/run combo, sometimes a two-a-day, TTh, sometimes S. It works for me. I rest when I feel I need it, I push myself to do my best, but not too far.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Yep, sounds good. Though you may feel weaker on Day 3, which is fine, but just remember that you've basically working legs 3 days in a row before really resting.

Give it a shot and see how you feel. You're going to be making adjustments anyhow as you move along and see what fits. I still suggest an upper/lower split though, I just think it might be a better setup, but it's not crucial or anything.

Day 1: Lower Body
    Day 2: Cardio
    Day 3: Upper Body
    Day 4: Rest

Fresh legs for a heavy leg workout, get your cardio in at whatever intensity you can manage the next day, then two days leg rest so you can start fresh again on leg day.

Also, I'm sure you realize this already, but you won't always be working out on MTW if you follow this 4 day pattern...
  • Yeah, that sound good. I think i'll try the upper/lower body changing.

Oh i just took MTW as examples to make sure everyone understood me correctly.