Strength routines for female beginners?

Options
Hello! I want to start using weights at the gym but I have no idea how to use them or what a good workout routine is. Does anyone have any workout routines for females who are just starting out?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Hi! Glad to see another person interested in resistance training!!! There are several excellent programs for beginners!

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting

I personally would recommend beginning with Stronglifts 5x5 as it is very simple, only 5 lift variations, doesn't take much time and builds a fantastic foundation for more advanced lifting.

The most important thing to remember as a beginner is to lift safely. This means making sure you have good form with your lifts and starting out as light as possible, which means an unloaded bar or even dumbbells in some instances. You can learn great form by watching Youtube videos, or better yet hiring a trainer for a session or two and asking them to go through the lifts you plan to do to teach you how to do them properly.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I just started SL 5x5 so I second that suggestion. for what it's worth, I am seriously stupid when it comes to all things exercise and gym related and the program could not be easier. there is actually a group for girls doing SL 5x5: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women I recommend reading the summary there because the actual program literature is like a strong dose of steroids in written form. good luck :-)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this one
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-phase-1-day-1.html

I printed out the pdf for the first week and have been using that for the past 3 weeks, keeping track of my progress in the little squares.
  • Immerito
    Immerito Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi! Glad to see another person interested in resistance training!!! There are several excellent programs for beginners!

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting

I personally would recommend beginning with Stronglifts 5x5 as it is very simple, only 5 lift variations, doesn't take much time and builds a fantastic foundation for more advanced lifting.

The most important thing to remember as a beginner is to lift safely. This means making sure you have good form with your lifts and starting out as light as possible, which means an unloaded bar or even dumbbells in some instances. You can learn great form by watching Youtube videos, or better yet hiring a trainer for a session or two and asking them to go through the lifts you plan to do to teach you how to do them properly.

QFT.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Im a female lifting beginner! I started about 3-4 mos ago doing StrongLifts 5x5. Love it. Its so simple, you just go to the gym and do your 3 exercises a day, 3x a week. My legs are so much stronger now with more definition, my arms look awesome, and my abs are starting to peek through some of my fat, haha! Still trying to lose about 25 lbs, though, but I can definitely tell a difference!
  • withoutaname
    withoutaname Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sunshine031391
    Options
    Any advice on lifting weights? I want to get started but looking for a routine. I heard that circuit training is better. Could anyone help? Thanks. I need to lose 40 lbs.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    All the advice given on routines is great. But let me just add one point that must be touched on.

GO AND WORK OUT That is the most important thing. Don't wait untill you have a perfect routine. It's very good to learn as you go instead of waiting to get started.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and use it as your lifting bible. Seriously. If your form is off, you can really hurt yourself.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    All the advice given on routines is great. But let me just add one point that must be touched on.

GO AND WORK OUT That is the most important thing. Don't wait untill you have a perfect routine. It's very good to learn as you go instead of waiting to get started.

This!

There is an orthodoxy on this site that says you must use one of 2 (or 3) routines.

The simple truth is: as long as a routine is non-retarded in that it a) has compounds in it that hit the major human movements b) is progressive and c) allows for adequate recovery between sessions, then you'll be fine.

Just getting out there and moving some iron does you the power of good.

Just make sure you learn correct form for the compounds and constantly challenge yourself to review your performance. Video yourself with your phone. Compare with a trusted source (like Rippetoe's Starting Strength Book or Vids) and adjust accordingly before the load gets too heavy.
  • miss_holly01
    miss_holly01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Thanks guys^
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ive always used the weight machines when I am at the gym but Im clueless and end up working different muscle groups and what not. I'd like to have a routine to use. Im going to try the thing from bodybuilding.com. It looks easy to follow and offers pictures/videos to help with form.

Thank you guys for all your responses!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of great advice here - I'm going to add another vote for Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5. Both are wonderful beginner programs.

There is also a group here called "Eat, Train, Progress" that I would recommend. There's a lot of great knowledge there about lifting, form, calorie deficits, protein intake, etc.
  • DanielMtl
    Options
    I have to agree with jimmmer.. And, once you get to the gym, you can usually find someone to help you out... If you have a few dollars hanging around, you could invest it in a trainer how should be able to set up a program for you and help you out once or twice a month.