30 Day Shred - Knee Pain

Options
I'm on level 1, Day 10. Since about day 7 I have had knee pain. And it isn't a good pain. They hurt all the time. I know a lot of people have complained of this with the workout. I was a couch potato before starting this workout. I don't know if maybe I bit off more than I can chew. I can't do the jumping jacks or the jump rope anymore. I was able to do them in the beginning. I do love the results I am already seeing from this workout. I have been pushing through the pain, but that is becoming harder to do. I don't want to quit, but I don't want to seriously injure myself either. Any advice? It would be appreciated.

Also, if I do decide that this workout is not for me, does anyone have any recommendations for something that is a little less taxing on the knees?

Thanks!

Replies

• Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there's a difference between pushing through general pain of a good workout and the pain that you're talking about here. If your knees hurt, don't keep pushing them. Don't go so far into the movements. Modify.

Level 1 was a knee killer for me. Partway through level 1 I realized I just couldn't do the jump rope move anymore because it was making me dread the workout and my knees ached for the rest of the day after that. So I switched it up and jogged in place instead. It's not the same, but Jillian says all the time to "just keep moving".

I'm on day 10 of level 2 right now and while it's harder (planks are no joke), my knees aren't killing me when I'm done.
  • lisal11
    lisal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've had knee surgery and can do the exercises in 30 Day Shred. I would take a moment to check your form when doing those knee intensive exercises.

Never let your knee drift in front of your toe. When you squat, you should feel like you are sitting back in a chair. I've found that trying to keep your knees from coming too far forward is the most important thing. I can tell when I'm letting my knees come forward because they hurt almost immediately. Also, you might try not going to deep into the move and see how you feel.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I can't do that work out either I have weak ankle from a sprain yrs ago. Maybe modify it. For me it was too much jumping bad for my ankles.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm on level 1, Day 10. Since about day 7 I have had knee pain. And it isn't a good pain. They hurt all the time. I know a lot of people have complained of this with the workout. I was a couch potato before starting this workout. I don't know if maybe I bit off more than I can chew. I can't do the jumping jacks or the jump rope anymore. I was able to do them in the beginning. I do love the results I am already seeing from this workout. I have been pushing through the pain, but that is becoming harder to do. I don't want to quit, but I don't want to seriously injure myself either. Any advice? It would be appreciated.

Also, if I do decide that this workout is not for me, does anyone have any recommendations for something that is a little less taxing on the knees?

Thanks!

MODIFY, MODIFY, MODIFY!!! (Words to live by!!!)

Do the arm movements only with the jumping jacks and jump rope. I have done this and you'd be surprised at the heart rate goes UP just fine without jumping up and down. I did the 30DS prior to knee surgery and I am 9 weeks post surgery and going to begin it again tonight.

I also found laying on the floor I have difficulty doing the crunches ... so I pull out my stability ball and crunch away!

Do not give up.

Good luck!

PS: I also, if needed, took ibuprofen prior to my workout to head off any potential knee pain/swelling, etc. It works!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I found Level one hard on my knees but mostly because I wasn't wearing shoes and jumping so I'd land on the ball of my foot which really pounds up into your knees. Once I gave in and put my shoes on and paid attention to landing better on the jumps I was fine. As someone else mentioned, pay attention to form on lunges and squats. Your knee should never go forward farther than your foot. The motion is to sit back. If your core muscles are weak you'll tend to lean forward to compensate and it really messes up your knees.