A cry for motivation!

Options
So I guess I'll start with my stats.

155 lbs (shudder... most i've ever weighted)
5'3"
Female
22 y/o
Newlywed

So this year has been a horror for stress. Thankfully my wedding was small and not stressful but everything else has been. We bought a house and have been working nonstop on it. We both work full time and I have a 40 minute one way commute each day. I am constantly exhausted and not motivated at all and yet totally ashamed that I've gained like 25lbs in the last couple months.

I feel like I'm whining but I really need some help to get my motivation up. My husband isnt much help in that area as we are both gamers and would rather sit on the couch playing that get up and move. Ha...

Part of my lack of motivation is a feeling like I have no time to work out. I get up at 6:30, shower dress and eat before leaving at 7:00. Work is sitting all day till I leave at 5pm but because of my long commute I dont normally get home till 5:45-6pm by which time I have to figure out dinner and feed the both of us. Lately by 7-8pm I'm ready for bed, the sun going down sooner hasnt been any help either. And to top it all off my birth control has a possible side effect of weight gain. So bad eating habits + stress + not sleeping well have just culminated in me gaining weight and I'm sick of it.

Help me see the bright side of things and figure out where I can start managing my health again! I want to work out. Maybe I'm just afraid to? HELP

Replies

• missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love my early morning workouts. My situation is completely different, but for me, it's the only time of day that I get to myself with my kids! I try to get up at 5, work out, shower, eat then the kids are waking up, get them fed and dressed and then I'm off to work. I am so exhausted after I get home from work and it's so busy making dinner, getting baths for the kids, getting laundry done, cleaning up after the hurricanes, that morning is the best time for me. After a week I was used to getting up early, and i'm not a morning person! And stress will take a lot out of you. Exercise will certainly help that. Good luck!
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    This is simple.. Motivation is nothing but discipline. You lack Discipline.
    First you are whining, and congrats on having an average american Schedule..

The first question you need to ask your self is, How bad do you Want it?

Because if you want it bad. you will make time ... You get up at 6:30 to be out the door by 7 ? well its time to get up at 5:15am start working out at 5:30am and be done by 6:30am to start your day.
    And here is a revelation.. the more you work out and eat better foods the less tired you will be all the time.....

Look missingkitty it all comes down to how bad you want it. There is no easy fix there is no magic pill, all there is, is you vs you. Currently the the old you is winning so its time to go to war!!!

This is a journey, and the destination is your goal, but you haven't even stepped of the front porch. You have to change your mindset before you can change your body. Its time to get off that couch and get a little bit uncomfortable because in that uncomfortable zone is where the change will happen.

So I think you need to spend a little mirror time with yourself. Look your self right in the eye and make the decision that you want this. You want to be a better you. You want to be a champion. You want to step out of what you feel is comfortable and safe and make the change and reach your goals and be the BEST YOU, YOU CAN BE!!!

You say you have no time but you have time to sit around and not be active and eat unhealthy and go look at your results. I think its time to get fit. When you are fit you can live MORE life in the same 24 hour period.

Or... You can sit here. whine on the internet why you have no time to do anything but eat sleep and work.. I think we both know thats not really the case.

SO ask yourself... How bad do you want it ? Answer that question and then go be great!
  • carol5047
    carol5047 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Because if you want it bad. you will make time ... You get up at 6:30 to be out the door by 7 ? well its time to get up at 5:15am start working out at 5:30am and be done by 6:30am to start your day.
    And here is a revelation.. the more you work out and eat better foods the less tired you will be all the time.....

Look missingkitty it all comes down to how bad you want it. There is no easy fix there is no magic pill, all there is, is you vs you. Currently the the old you is winning so its time to go to war!!!

This is a journey, and the destination is your goal, but you haven't even stepped of the front porch. You have to change your mindset before you can change your body. Its time to get off that couch and get a little bit uncomfortable because in that uncomfortable zone is where the change will happen.

So I think you need to spend a little mirror time with yourself. Look your self right in the eye and make the decision that you want this. You want to be a better you. You want to be a champion. You want to step out of what you feel is comfortable and safe and make the change and reach your goals and be the BEST YOU, YOU CAN BE!!!

You say you have no time but you have time to sit around and not be active and eat unhealthy and go look at your results. I think its time to get fit. When you are fit you can live MORE life in the same 24 hour period.

Or... You can sit here. whine on the internet why you have no time to do anything but eat sleep and work.. I think we both know thats not really the case.

SO ask yourself... How bad do you want it ? Answer that question and then go be great!

This is so TRUE! You have to want it!!! Change your mind set and you will start feeling better!
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wish I still had that schedule with no kids. I get up at 6am every morning, my commute is almost one hour each way and my workouts normally happen after the kids are in bed at about 8:30 pm. But this isn't a competition (just putting things in perspective).

I find that motivation has to come from me, no one will take my hand and make me do what is healthy for me.

So start doing like every other successful person and be accountable, and take the steps necessary.

1. Meal plan on weekends, do the groceries, chop your veggies, prep most of your meals.
    2. If you commute on public transportation, stand instead of sit (it's not much but every little bit helps.
    3. If you work on your house, you will burn calories, so work harder! (and then it will also be done sooner!)
    4. Join a sports team instead of a gym in money/accountability is an issue.

There is a lot you can do, you just need to want it badly enough.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    Get at it while you are young, and the amount of weight loss needed is manageable. When I started dieting and exercising it was do what I need to do ( work out, plan meals) before I do what I want to do. Get your hubby involved as well something you can do together to take care of each other, and no eating in front of the game or while playing ( my hubby and kids are big players). I'm up at 5AM and home at 6AM, I squeeze in lunch hour power walks and hit classes 3 or 4 times a week, your health first.
  • itssallyyyyy
    itssallyyyyy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've recently switched work schedules and am working an 8-5 as well.. With a 30 minute commute. I work out right after work, usually if I go home I stay home and don't feel like hitting the gym.. So my suggestion, based on my personal success over the last couple of weeks would be to workout before or right after work even if its just for thirty minutes(I take one hour classes @ my gym). I've also found on days that I workout I have more energy, as opposed to my lazy days where I feel unmotivated.. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!!!!
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options

THIS! All day long!

Every morning I woke up and asked myself...How bad do you want it?! If you're answer isn't "pretty damn bad" , things will never change.
  • 120mustdo
    120mustdo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading the post, help ing me too.
  • 120mustdo
    Options

• 120mustdo
    Options
    Again, take this advice...it is helpful!
  • Buffy2point0
    Buffy2point0 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well said!! And ditto!!
  • rabunpeach
    rabunpeach Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE SO RIGHT
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

Praise baby jesus
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you really want it, you'll figure it out. I'm a firm believer that at the end of the day, people do what they want to do. Talking about it, educating yourself about it, drawing up elaborate plans...those are tools but until you set them in motion then nothing will happen!

I'd like to think my last two years of college are prime examples of the difference discipline makes. My first year I found myself in and out the urgent care. Cause? Extreme stress, no sleep, god awful nutrition. Essentially, a total lack of discipline. Don't be a victim of the choices YOU are making. My second year I turned myself around. I was taking 18 credit hours doing nuclear engineering, held director positions on 2 major organizations on campus, was the primary officer for a third club in which I managed an account of over $250,000 (this is a lot for a college team, don't judge :blushing: ), held a research position, worked for a national music festival, and launched into modeling. I was up and running from 6am to 1:30am nearly every day of the week and I still found time to take care of myself. I was hitting the gym 3-5 times per week, eating properly, and as a result I'm delighted with my progress.

So at the end of the day, it's a mental game. Make the choice if you want it badly enough!

A few simple tips I've found to be remarkably helpful: :)
    - find a friend to keep you accountable. If not for a very close friend who dragged me with him on those nights I wanted to bum out, I probably wouldn't have stuck with it.
    - plan out your days. Every night I write out an hourly schedule for the next day. If you have a lot of balls in the air like I did in school, you're bound to let one of them drop if you don't keep them in check. Make two lists: what you HAVE to do, and what you would LIKE to do. Working out should be the first list.
    - get out of your own head! You say you might just be scared of committing. Don't be! Working out = endorphins = happy thoughts. We enginerds tend to be good at math so take it from me:)

Best of luck OP!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I walk on my breaks and lunch ( i eat lunch at my desk) buy a workout video you can do at home. Jullian Michaels 30 day shred is 25 mins long and works... check your area for bootcamps in local parks.... those are usually cheap..... there are tons of options.... i work a 8 to 5 and im a single mom. I go to the gym straight from work....
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Totals 350 6 20 52 8 12
    missingkitty Daily Goal
    Remaining 1,416 13 46 191 51 22

Calories Fiber Protein Carbs Fat Sugar
    1,766 19 66 243 59 34

don't worry about the exercise. you've got your carbs set at 243 per day. way too much. cut the carbs down to under 100 and the weight will fall off. its a myth that you need to exercise to lose weight. losing fat is mainly related to ingesting too many carbohydrates. at 243 you're just ingesting too many carbs. cut the sugar, cut the carbs. increase the fat and protein. you'll be fine. game away.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    Need some energy to get a work out in, try taking a Multivitamin with lots of B vitamins. No crappy energy drinks, a good B vitamin will give you energy for the whole day. If you have a lunch hour at work, walk for an hour don't need anything other than shoes to change in to and weather appropriate clothes. I walk or hit the gym at lunch at work, then eat at my desk. Try adding a 30 day push up challenge into your gaming. When you get to a stoping point or potty break, do push ups or squats. There are a ton of apps to guide you, make it a challenge with your hubby. Lots of little things can add up. But changing what you eat is the most important, go down load some healthy recipes and make cooking something fun you guys can do together. The more involved you get the hubby the more successful it will be.
  • missingkitty
    missingkitty Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I believe I did say I was Whining... And I was whining on here because I needed to vent versus whining to my husband and causing strain at home when he has just as busy a schedule. My apologies for needing a f*ing outlet...

On the other hand... Thank you to those of you that actually gave me some good advise instead of criticizing my want to complain a little. I like sitting down and planning everything out I just hadnt taken the time to do so. I come to this site for people like you that make me feel like I can do this and that it's natural to feel like its difficult but that I can do it. so... Thanks!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what motivates you. Is it a pep talk? Is it the promise of a new sexy pair of jeans? A teeny swimsuit you want to wear? Fitness? Maybe you do better with mini goals and challenges so need a group to keep you going.

You will not be motivated until you find out what motivates you. If pep talks aren't it, then all these 'you can do it' type posts won't help.