Meal ideas???

Options
I am looking for some new ideas for dinners. I'm not looking for anything with turkey burgers, tofu or anything along those lines.
I still want the "normal" meats but just a healthier way to eat them. I have 2 kids and a husband who wouldn't touch turkey burgers or tofu. :ohwell:

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Have they TRIED turkey burgers? Like you cook them & serve them & not tell them it's turkey burgers? I think they taste pretty much the same when grilled. JMO.

Homemade pizza, stir fry, strombolli, potato bar, Hawaiian Haystacks, hot dogs, are all on our menu every month if that helps. We just substitute certain ingredients to make them healthier.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Chicken (provided you skin it), and fish (not necessarily salmon) have the lowest calories per ounce of normal meat that I've found.

For the fish I just grill it with some seasonings and a little lemon. That with some healthy sides of your choice is a great meal.

For the chicken, I like to make rice bowls. 4 oz chicken breast, 1 cup brown rice, 3 cups Asian stir fry vegetables, and a couple tablespoons of teriyaki sauce is less than 500 calories, really filling, and tasty too.

And for those days where I'm starving but have just a few calories left I make an egg white mix. 1 cup of egg whites, as many mushrooms, onions and other veggies as you can stuff in there, and you get a full plate of food for about 300 calories or so.
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has tons of wonderful recipes. I have yet to be dissapointed with Gina!
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    hungrygirl.com has a lot of great tips and recipes too!
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    If you can get venison where you are it is the healthiest of all red meats - very very lean. You can treat it pretty much like beef.
  • leighshutter
    leighshutter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey. Haha! My first reaction was to tell you to use ground turkey instead of ground beef. I always always always use it and my hb (who is a very picky eater) and 3 kids eat it no problem. I sometimes substitute half the meat with cooked lentils or barley or even brown rice to up the fiber and lower the calories in the dish. We always make a big salad with dinner, too and this fills me up so I won't go too crazy on the Hamburger Helper! You can make mashed potatoes with chicken broth and use less milk and butter. I love comfort food so I have had to make some compromises. Overall, try to keep an open mind and remember anything you make at home with whole foods is better for you than the processed stuff you get out or out of a box! Good luck!
  • OceanBlue80
    Options
    I found this salsa chicken recipe on sparkrecipes.com and made it for my parents last weekend. My dad usually groans when I say "it's healthy", so I waited til after he said how it was to tell him. He really liked it and was surprised that it was healthy because it was full of flavor. It's a slow-cooker recipe which is great for days when you have to work. I just made some brown rice to go with it. Below is the link to this specific recipe, but this website is a healthy recipe website and has a lot of really good ones to try.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=672711
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking.