Serious question about calories (fer realz)

Options
wonkosane
wonkosane Posts: 42 Member
So. I got back home from a grueling workday, and a frantic grocery shopping trip for healthy eats.

I immediately dumped the grocery bags on the counter, grabbed a razor sharp knife and began chopping everything in sight.

Sat down at the table to enjoy a salad roughly the same size as my heard, and read some trivial nonsense (I think most people call it the internet)

Now, my question:

Halfway through the inhalation of my salad, I realized I hadn't peeled the tag off my red pepper, just sliced it up and threw it in.

So, how do I log half a sticker? It was the side with the bar code, if that matters)

Replies

• ajv1990
    Options
    lol I hope you enjoyed your food more than the sticker.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Omg...

I've been operating under the impression that MFP INCLUDED the calories from produce stickers. Mother Effer, all this time, all those apples... You think that may be the cause of my plateau, my initial weight gain, and other non-relevant but serious problems?

Thank u for bringing this to my attention
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Well I can tell you're not a clean eater or you'da washed your food before eating it.

I would weigh the other half of the sticker, double that, and calculate how many calories in that much fibre.

It wasn't white paper was it? Brown is much better for you.
  • wonkosane
    wonkosane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I still don't know what to log it as, but I'm sure I'll have more ideas after I'm done disinfecting my digestive tract with bourbon.

Because.... Safety first!
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You have to watch out for those stickers they have the number of calories that are in the produce number. So if you only ate half that could still be around 2000 calories :) Since most produce stickers are in the four digit category.

But seriously you need to wash all your produce before eating it. You never know who has touched it or where there hands have been. Not to mention pesticides and the dirty truck they were hauled to the store in. So many veggies are contaminated with salmonella you could get sick.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I still don't know what to log it as, but I'm sure I'll have more ideas after I'm done disinfecting my digestive tract with bourbon.

Because.... Safety first!

Oh I feel so much better now :)
  • donjessop
    Options
    Well, if the sticker tasted sweet there may have been a sugar based backing. If the sticker tasted sour than perhaps it was more chemical in nature. As an experiment eat another sticker and check your blood sugar in a couple of hours to see how much it went up.

Then again, maybe it was just fiber in nature in which case this too shall pass and you won't have to worry about counting it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    all that sugar in the glue at conservative estimate 1000 cals
  • prefabsey
    prefabsey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Little known fact: the sticker gives you negative calories. Eat more!

(Awesome post btw)
  • davidwallaceasia
    Options
    What color was the sticker? White ones are really just empty calories, and lots of them. Try and eat brown stickers; they have fewer calories and carbs and way less sugar.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Super funny. ;-)
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    BAHAHAHA this made me laugh SO loud, haha.

Well, as my husband says....dirty food built his immunity haha (he never gets sick and I always get sick and am ocd about washing). lol.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you ate it before 7PM, you're fine.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Is a food sticker Paleo?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Oh my god.....think of the toxinz!!!!!!!
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    yeah.. i think you need to detox for a week at least, thats a lot of calories you just ate. ;(
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself. But it seems you're safe on one count and screwed on another.

The following replies are taken from http://askville.amazon.com/stickers-fruits-edible/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2751475

It wont harm you. The little stickers on fruit are made of edible paper; however, it is best to remove them before washing. Otherwise, the part underneath the sticker will not be cleaned.
    Sources: http://www.wikihow.com/Wash-Fruit-and-Vegetables

They're not edible but won't hurt you if eaten. By FDA standards, the labels (called PLU labels) are supposed to be made with lead-free dyes and the glue used to adhere them to the fruit is required to be food grade (meaning safe to ingest). The labels are supposed to be removed before consumption but if accidently eaten, they are safe and won't harm you. You can actually look up the codes for any kind of produce at www.plucodes.com .

Personally, I'd log it as a starch/carb. You may have to exercise a whole minute to work it off, but you can do that easily. Then again, after all the bourbon, you'll need more than a minute.
  • bohica36
    bohica36 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

So, how do I log half a sticker? It was the side with the bar code, if that matters)

After you pass it, you could just use the barcode scanner to log it. (Oh sorry, maybe the word LOG wasn't the best choice in this case...)
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    bahahhahahaa! that made my night, thank you!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You have to watch out for those stickers they have the number of calories that are in the produce number. So if you only ate half that could still be around 2000 calories :) Since most produce stickers are in the four digit category.

But seriously you need to wash all your produce before eating it. You never know who has touched it or where there hands have been. Not to mention pesticides and the dirty truck they were hauled to the store in. So many veggies are contaminated with salmonella you could get sick.

Fortunately, a quick rinse under the tap eliminates all those things...

...right?