Not loosing as fast as I expected

Options
I love MFP. I felt like I've worked harder than ever, for longer than usual, to not have lost anything at all. I went to reports and looked at all the graphs. I am at a stand still, but only a week's worth. Not as bad as it feels! I have been more consistant in diet and exercise, which was the dissapointment. But at least the graphs put it in perspective.

Needing motivation I took out my last remaining box of skinny clothes I was going to donate and found some I had been hanging onto because I really hated to put them away. They fit! The bad part is that I got them at least 3 years ago when I thought they made me look skinnier. At the time I thought I was the fattest I ever was to that point in my life, and needed some encouragement. I have lost a lot, but only one pound a week and one inch a month measurement wise. Although! It's still dialing back years in pounds way faster than I put on these pounds! So I'm trying to stay motivated while I'm not seeing progress. I'm not going to quit. I'm in it too far not to go all the way.

Here's the thing: I've hit a stalling point. Shall I continue and keep trying like I've been doing more consistently? Or, really shake it up and try extra hard to break through the glass ceiling? Or, maybe I should have a relaxing day and it's stress and the exhausting week I had that has me stalled?

Replies

• Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, I can only off general advice.

What rate did you set your weight loss at? After I lost 30 pounds, I had to reduce the rate and add more calories back to keep losing weight. Might be something to look at. Strange as it sounds, eating a little more made me lose weight faster and break my plateau.

How much and what type of exercise are you doing in a week? If you are doing the same thing, for the same amount of time and intensity, then your body gets used to it. Change things up.

Are you drinking the water your body needs? It was hard for me to get up there, but now I feel really dehydrated if I don't drink 8 glasses of water a day.

Are you eating healthy, filling and balanced calories, or filling up on empty calories? The empty ones really stall weight loss.

Hope some of these ideas help. Review your diary and goals, use what applies and try to shake things up a little bit. :wink:

I just noticed that you are close to your goal too. The last weight to reach a healthy goal comes off slowest, so it may take a longer time for your body to adjust and drop those last few pounds. Good luck!
  • lisabee123
    Options
    I totally understand. I am at the same point also. I have been the same for 3 weeks and have been busting my butt. We can do this and break through this rut. So after my pity party I went for a run and did some circuit training. I feel much better. Contrats on the skinny clothes. Sometimes that is the only way we see results is in out clothes which I am happy for but sucks also since everything we do is with results in the scales. So, keep on keeping on and you will break through. Have a great weekend.
  • tessa681
    tessa681 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Keep up the GREAT work, my goal is 1 lb a week, thats 52 lbs in a year! Thats amazing considering it took me 5 years to get this way, if you are loosing 1 lb a week and an inch in a month, you go girl!! Thats so awesome, we as humans want the quick fix but I think we should know by now thats not how its going to happen, you are doing amazing, keep up the faith and the good work!
    Happy Saturday!
  • Boston01810
    Boston01810 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me at times. Keep eating every 3 hours- protein. My usual regime includes 2 good fats per day and 2 carbs. When I plateau my trainer has me go to 3 carbs a day and 1 good fat at day- for three days, then switch to 3 good fats per day and 1 carb for three days. That should shake up your system. If you eat the same foods each day- then your body gets used to it. Do not cut back on you food- just shake it up. Also more cardio never hurts. Good luck.
  • Boston01810
    Boston01810 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me at times. Keep eating every 3 hours- protein. My usual regime includes 2 good fats per day and 2 carbs. When I plateau my trainer has me go to 3 carbs a day and 1 good fat at day- for three days, then switch to 3 good fats per day and 1 carb for three days. That should shake up your system. If you eat the same foods each day- then your body gets used to it. Do not cut back on you food- just shake it up. Also more cardio never hurts. Good luck.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    Have a relaxing day! If you never let your body rest, you won't get results. If you've been doing the same exercise routine, change it up. If you are eating the same things over and over, change it up. Best of luck!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I love MFP. I felt like I've worked harder than ever, for longer than usual, to not have lost anything at all. I went to reports and looked at all the graphs. I am at a stand still, but only a week's worth. Not as bad as it feels! I have been more consistant in diet and exercise, which was the dissapointment. But at least the graphs put it in perspective.

Needing motivation I took out my last remaining box of skinny clothes I was going to donate and found some I had been hanging onto because I really hated to put them away. They fit! The bad part is that I got them at least 3 years ago when I thought they made me look skinnier. At the time I thought I was the fattest I ever was to that point in my life, and needed some encouragement. I have lost a lot, but only one pound a week and one inch a month measurement wise. Although! It's still dialing back years in pounds way faster than I put on these pounds! So I'm trying to stay motivated while I'm not seeing progress. I'm not going to quit. I'm in it too far not to go all the way.

Here's the thing: I've hit a stalling point. Shall I continue and keep trying like I've been doing more consistently? Or, really shake it up and try extra hard to break through the glass ceiling? Or, maybe I should have a relaxing day and it's stress and the exhausting week I had that has me stalled?

According to your ticker, you are only 8 lbs away from your final goal. The last 10 to 15 lbs are the hardest to loose, so please don't feel discourage because you have accomplished a lot.
    If you feel that you had no progress, look at the before and the after pictures in your profile. Where do you want to go, what do you want to be, the lady on the right or the lady on the left?
    Did you get the extra weight that you were carrying overnight? No, you did not, so you should not expect to loose it overnight either. Yes, it is hard work but you are getting there, eating healthier, doing a lot of good things to your body, exercising and changing your life and body for the bettter.
    Review your food diary, see if there is any way to improve your eating habits, change your exercise routine and/or try different things. But above all, DON'T GIVE UP!!
    You can do it, just put a smile on your face, be thankful for what you have, be proud of your accomplisment, and keep going.
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind loosing 40-50 pounds. But I set my goal originally at what I thought was a whole lot to loose. I've gained steadily for the last 10 years! I guess I didn't expect it to go off. But, now it is and I am getting bold enough to want total success! I could definately drink more water, but that will have to be after my busy season because I cannot be in the bathroom that much right now!

I'm set to having 1200 calories a day. 30 minutes of exercise a day, but I haven't been able to keep to that. Most of the time I can keep the calories to my goal, and usually eat half to most of my exercise calories. Some weeks I get 7 days of exercise in, some weeks just 3. On the days I can't fit it in (this is my busy season) I at least keep moving all day. I started out this summer working out 10 minutes on the ski machine, with gardening and bike riding. I have a Nordic Track. That was all I could do! This week I did 60 minutes! So that's progress, too. From the couch to exercising regularly is what I needed as well as loosing all that fat which was slowing me down

My clothes don't hurt me. I can move around as much as I want without thinking I'm headed for a heart attack. The family is getting on board in small ways, too. I'm getting a little frustrated, but overall things are really positive.

I guess the concensus so far is to shake it up! I really appreciate the support here!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you look at it as 52 pounds in a year it sounds so much better. Thanks!